PDA

View Full Version : I'm hiking for charity!

Tosto
05-06-2008, 22:45
Well, it's nearly official: I'm working with the American Cancer Society to set up an account through my University's Relay for Life program where people can go and donate money in support of my Long Trail hike. I plan to ask family, friends, and acquaintances for donations. I'm really pumped, and I leave for Massachusetts July 1st. I'm thinking about setting a goal and if that goal is achieved, I'll turn around at Canada and hike back to Mass. I just hope I don't experience any set-backs and disappoint anyone.

I've yet to email the Green Mountain club, so I hope they don't mind!

I'll post the link when I get it set up.

Jaybird62
05-06-2008, 22:49
That's awesome man. Have a great hike......you will be in my thoughts and prayers, brother!!!!

envirodiver
05-06-2008, 23:57
Great idea and for a good cause. Honestly I never thought of that.

Tosto
05-07-2008, 22:57
Just received word back from the GMC; they don't mention supporting any non-profit organization on their web page because they are a non-profit organization themselves (well duh, I'm a little slow). They don't have a written policy on hikers using the LT to support other organizations, but they have no problem with it.
"It’s a great cause, of course. Best of luck on your journey!"

Cool! Let's go charitypacking.

TOW
05-07-2008, 22:59
horse crap!

Flush2wice
05-07-2008, 23:02
If I donate $100, how much goes to ACS, and how goes towards financing your hike?

Tosto
05-08-2008, 16:04
A big old $0 to my hike and 100% to the ACS.

What a bunch of pessimists here.

Flush2wice
05-08-2008, 16:59

I was just asking. You should have said it up front.

generoll
05-08-2008, 18:40
so it would be simpler to just make the donation directly to the ACS? No problems with getting a tax statement for the donation.

WalkingStick75
05-08-2008, 19:56

Tosto,
Good Luck, I hope you make a lot of money for the ACS. Keep WB posted of your progress. I'm guessing donations will come in as from the WB community as your hike progress.

BTW, I don't think anyone is a "pessimists" here. You only have 37 posts and you state "in support of my hike" and that is the first question that comes to mind. Nobody wants most to pay for you to hike. Now on the other hand if anyone wants to pay for me to hike.... PM me :)

Frosty
05-08-2008, 20:05

What a bunch of pessimists here.You should thank him, not bitch at him. You originally said you wanted money to support your hike.

Well, it's nearly official: I'm working with the American Cancer Society to set up an account through my University's Relay for Life program where people can go and donate money in support of my Long Trail hike.

By asking the question, he got you to say what you should have said up front, that the money is NOT to support your hike, but to support teh ACS.

At any rate, it is seldom an effective fund raising method to get testy with and insult the people from whom you are asking for money.

Tosto
05-15-2008, 12:03
I thought it was pretty clear, but I suppose that interpretation never crossed my mind until it was posted here. I didn't consider that asking for money for personal expenses was an option, nor would I ever ask anyone (except maybe my parents).
I most certainly did not get "testy" with the reply and it was hardly an insult, but I'll admit that I was somewhat insulted at the suggested notion. I'm sorry it came across that way. No matter, moving on.

To clear things up: 100% of donations go to the American Cancer Society and you can print a tax statement for deductions.

I should have it all set up as soon as I can figure out their webpage :-?