PDA

View Full Version : Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel

Bluebelle
05-07-2008, 08:16
Last Saturday night I, (along with 8 other hikers who came in throughout the afternoon), elected to hike the .06 of a mile off the trail to the Greasy Creek Friendly hostel. Unfortunately this did not turn out to be a pleasant stay. For those of you contemplating going to this hostel please know these facts as told to me by the proprietor Connie or CC. She has had years of trouble with her neighbor....it is a little like walking into the argument of the Hatfield's and the McCoy's! His property borders the USFS road that is across from her property. According to Connie...."He is a paranoid Schizophrenic that I have taken to court on numerous occassions for harrassement!" Also...she added the word 'friendly' into the name because she has 'hostel' across the street! Great...just what I want to hear! Throughout the afternoon and evening....neighbor Bill....blasted country music from 'camoflaged' speakers on an outbuilding that sat close to the road and faced the bunkhouse.....would ride his motorcycle on the gravel road so that he might position himself where he could sit and race the engine and glare at the hikers or position the bike in a way that after dark the headlamp would be shining on the bunkhouse or get up at 5:30 in the morning and start his bike...ride down the road and then yell at the bunkhouse....something like "oh you come on out little boy" (he said this twice)... or jump on his riding lawn mower with the engine cover propped open with a 1 x 2 at 6 in the morning....we did have from midnight until 5:30am that was peaceful. When I asked Connie why she has not put a stop to this ...she said law enforcement would not even answer her calls and Bill has hired her lawyer....so....she just ignores and goes on. I was quite upset that she continues to accept this situation and does not seem to understand the position she is placing herself and other people in. In my opinion it is her responsibility to understand the possibility of harm that might occur and quite frankly told her so. (oh the man also has two large dogs that "he has taught to hate hikers" according to Connie ....they bark and run up and down the fence row when someone is out....heaven forbid one of them get out of the fence!) The other hikers who were there with me and I agree that this situation has the makings for some serious problems so.....beware.....I would not advise others going there.....there are some other odd happenings that went on there as well that I won't bring up at this time but just know.....this hostel is not run by a couple as advertised...she has been divorced for a year now...and you pay tax on everything....and you will be asked to shower in the order in which you appear at the hostel...and shuttles are only run by her and at times she determines.....dinner runs to town will take three hours if you go to Johnson City.....just a really odd and not necessarily hiker friendly place. Hopefully Connie will turn this situation around but in the meantime.......hmmmmm....but in the meantime.....I won't go there again!

wilconow
05-07-2008, 09:10
The thing with the neighbor is not new. I met someone last year who had to duck a snowstorm there and was barely able to sleep because of the neighbor.

orangebug
05-07-2008, 09:51
Sorry to hear about the divorce. Not surprising given the difficulties of the location and their isolation.

The problems with the neighbor may relate to illness, with state interest only after a tragedy has occurred, sort of like Virginia Tech's experience.

SGT Rock
05-07-2008, 09:56
I've heard from at least one person staying there that the neighbor is a huge problem, but the Hostel itslf really isn't that great either. Bluebelle, aside from the neighbor issues, what was your read?

PJ 2005
05-07-2008, 10:09
Saved me from hypothermia in 2005... maybe it was too cold for the neighbors to come out? I thought they were really nice.

orangebug
05-07-2008, 11:30
My experience with a late November hike was a nice warm shower and meal, but not anything that was essential. It is so close to Erwin as to be a pretty pointless stop.

Lilred
05-07-2008, 11:37
I stopped there in 2006. The husband was gone then. The neighbor was just as bad, doing the things reported here and the hike was a lot longer, down a steep, washed out, rocky road, than the .6 miles in the guide book. I got nickled and dimed to death, including refills on coffee. CC was nice, but I got the impression she was in it for profit, not for love of the trail, as many hostel owners tend to be. I'm surprised she's still in business.

SGT Rock
05-07-2008, 11:39
I stopped there in 2006. The husband was gone then. The neighbor was just as bad, doing the things reported here and the hike was a lot longer, down a steep, washed out, rocky road, than the .6 miles in the guide book. I got nickled and dimed to death, including refills on coffee. CC was nice, but I got the impression she was in it for profit, not for love of the trail, as many hostel owners tend to be. I'm surprised she's still in business.
This is what I heard as well. It was actually a few other personality issues as well.

orangebug
05-07-2008, 11:42
That was my experience, but figured I was spoiled from places like Miss Janet and Kinkora. Not even Mt. Momma seemed as capitalistic.

I was there Nov 2005. The neighbor was weird, but not blasting music or shooting at the place. The dogs were certain to welcome you as you walked by.

sofaking
05-07-2008, 11:42
i bet she and the neighbor are in cahoots...waiting for a young group of college kids on a spring break backpacking trip to unwittingly fall into their clever trap- the neighbor terrorizes them, so they seek shelter with her, but she is a diabolical cannibal, who supplies the neighbor and the 'elite' of erwin with fresh and tasty meat...

A-Train
05-07-2008, 11:45
My friend was sick and went walking around looking for the place (in 03') but couldn't find it and returned to the trail. Remember hearing some crazy stories about rabid dogs and barb wired fences.

Can't comment on this place, as I haven't been there, but it seems unecessary considering how close to Erwin it is.

wilconow
05-07-2008, 11:51
Can't comment on this place, as I haven't been there, but it seems unecessary considering how close to Erwin it is.

my first thought on passing it.

SGT Rock
05-07-2008, 11:52
Mine too. I think I passed it 1.5 days from Erwin.

Bluebelle
05-07-2008, 11:55
I've heard from at least one person staying there that the neighbor is a huge problem, but the Hostel itslf really isn't that great either. Bluebelle, aside from the neighbor issues, what was your read?

Hey Sgt. Rock....the house itself is in great disrepair. You must not flush before showering or there will be no water pressure....there is very little at best as it is. We were also asked to not turn on lights unless we were reading due to cost and electrical issues????(not sure what those are??) Connie mentioned she owes her X $60000 before she can do anything to the property....so.....if this is her only income that could take awhile. The bunkhouse itself is just an outbuilding with 4 bunkbeds...plastic covered mattresses...you supply your sleeping bags...she does give you a pillow and pillowcase....no heat or air....one hanging light from ceiling. Minimal accomodations at best.

My concern is not necessarily with the luxury or lack of accomodations but in the lack of concern/care of the hikers. I just do not want others to get caught in a possibly volatile situation....we need to feel safe in these advertised hostels and I certainly did not! Luckily for me a hiker and her boyfriend drove to the hostel and I was able to hitch a ride with him to Johnson City.

SGT Rock
05-07-2008, 11:57
This sounds very much like what I heard. Thanks for the report.

Rain Man
05-07-2008, 18:39
My daughter Grass and I stayed at the Greasy Creek Friendly two nights while section hiking last summer. Connie was very nice, very accommodating (even specially bought me some items I asked for in advance, on her shopping trip before we arrived). The place is rustic, but no more so than many other hostels.

Yes, the neighbor's dogs barked inside their fence as I walked by. Again, not unlike other places along the AT.

We stayed in the house, not the bunkhouse, but she was happy to show us around the bunkhouse. Again, rustic like so many others.

We had no problem with water, flushing, showers, or electricity.

She was quick to cook for us when we asked for dinner or breakfast.

If she charges taxes, then I specially admire her for her ethics and honesty!

To us, Connie seemed a very sweet and sincere lady and we have recommended her place and still do.

Rain:sunMan

Tennessee Viking
05-07-2008, 18:54
Mine too. I think I passed it 1.5 days from Erwin.
I remember talking to Tabasco about the place. Not a pleasant stay from what he said.

SGT Rock
05-07-2008, 18:57
That is one of the guys who told me about it. Apparently he ran into you on the AT on one of the nights we spent together on the AT. He told me I had just missed you at Cherry Gap.

OregonHiker
05-07-2008, 20:00
[quote=Lilred;616557. CC was nice, but I got the impression she was in it for profit, .[/quote]

Why is that a bad thing?

Mrs Baggins
05-07-2008, 20:35
Haven't been there but I sure wouldn't stay ANYWHERE where angry dogs and mental people were considered "normal" or okay. Does our safety and well being mean nothing? We're hikers so we should just suck it up and risk our lives???? Fine. All you macho men keep staying there until mental man next door shows up with a rifle. You can deflect the bullets with your incredibly macho abs and attitude. The women will show more sense and get the hell away from this dangerous hell hole. I'll help spread the word to stay far away from this whack job and her neighbor. The word will spread down the trail and she can figure out how to make a living some other way. There is a right to have a legal business - there is no obligation to patronize that business.

zeal
05-07-2008, 21:02
I passed this place by last summer but heard stories by others about this "neighbor". Sounds like he's got his routine down to a science. This guys devotion and the amount of energy he puts forth to hating hikers is hilarious. Is this "friendly" listed in the guide books for 08? I looked in my 07 companion and i couldn't find it.

Lone Wolf
05-07-2008, 21:32
Why is that a bad thing?

IF i ever ran a hostel it would be totally for profit. i've seen what hikers give when asked for donations only. they always have money for beer, dope, restaurants, etc.

Pootz
05-07-2008, 21:37
When I hiked in 07 I found Greasy Creek Friendly hostel and CC to be very adequate for hikers. I was lucky enough to sleep in the house and could not hear all of the noise reported by those staying in the bunk house. CC was very nice, the food was very good and I was able to do a small resupply. The problem there is the refusal of the Virginia police to do anything about her crazy neighbor. It is hard to believe the she has to put up with his harassment and they will do nothing. She is much more tolerable than I would be.

orangebug
05-07-2008, 21:44
I'm not sure which is worse: the sexist rant or the utter stigmatization of the mentally ill.

A woman has decided to make the best of a bad situation. The problem with the neighbor is a stable one persisting over at least 5 years without bloodshed. Hell, at least it isn't a hostel owner flicking tobacco leaf bits off her front tooth at you.

BTW, the hostel is in NC. No state in the Union would allow police action over noise and signage, unless one could concoct a stalking/harrassment charge from it.

Rainbow_Brite
05-07-2008, 21:59
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Greasy Creek Friendly in 2006. CC and her husband were still together then, and the neighbor was a little wacked. She was very accomodating though, always willing to cook what we wanted or talk about anything. We got a shuttle from them too, which worked out very smoothly. Yes, she charges tax on everything, but technically anytime you buy something you should be paying tax. The bunk house was a little rustic for my taste, but no more so then others. Overall, I was really happy with my stay there, and we found the neighbor to be quite amusing once we discovered what the situaiton was.

Flush2wice
05-07-2008, 22:08
The problem there is the refusal of the Virginia police to do anything about her crazy neighbor. It is hard to believe the she has to put up with his harassment and they will do nothing. She is much more tolerable than I would be.
The Virginia police have refused to do anything primarily because the Greasy Creek Friendly is in North Carolina. :D
CC is my neighbor, the facts have been reported on this hostel for years, all reports concerning this guy across from her are pretty much true. Make your own decision about staying there or not.

Lilred
05-07-2008, 22:13
Why is that a bad thing?

It's not a bad thing, just not a realistic way to make a profit. Hikers are hardly a reliable source of income, much less a profit generator. It's like teaching, ya gotta like it cause it sure doesn't pay squat. CC just didn't seem like she liked it all that much.

Lone Wolf
05-07-2008, 22:15
It's not a bad thing, just not a realistic way to make a profit. Hikers are hardly a reliable source of income, much less a profit generator. It's like teaching, ya gotta like it cause it sure doesn't pay squat. CC just didn't seem like she liked it all that much.

oh really? i bet uncle johnny is turning a profit. good for him

Flush2wice
05-07-2008, 22:31
They are about 25 miles apart trailwise, but a world apart otherwise. Her location is awful even without the neighbor. You can ride a free bike from UJ's and get anything you need.

Rain Man
05-08-2008, 09:48

From hikers alone? Or from river rafting? Big difference. Apples and oranges. I'm with Lil Red on hiker business not fully supporting a for-profit trail hostel.

SGT Rock
05-08-2008, 14:31
From hikers alone? Or from river rafting? Big difference. Apples and oranges. I'm with Lil Red on hiker business not fully supporting a for-profit trail hostel.

Talking to Richard there, it is more than even those groups. In the winter they have people that live there paying by the week and during races at Bristol they are now getting clients.

jfarrell04
05-08-2008, 16:36
I'm in the process of planning a short section hike from Hughes Gap to 19E, and was going to contact these folks for a shuttle and/or place to stay..............After reading thes eposts, it sounds like the shuttle part may be OK, but the overnite stay, not so much?

Any other input as to shuttle providers in this area?

Thanks.

SGT Rock
05-08-2008, 16:45
Sure - UJ is in that area and has a few people on-call to shuttle. North of this place you have Brahmer Castle, the B&B on 19E (I forget the name) and Bob Peoples with Kincora when he is available. I reccomend you look at ATC http://www.appalachiantrail.org/transportation

JERMM
05-08-2008, 16:54
If UJ's can't shuttle for what ever reason try these guys, Rushing Water Outfitters, www.rushingwateroutfitters.com. I used them last week for a shuttle to Johnson City, they are located next door to UJ's.

Flush2wice
05-08-2008, 16:58
Or me. PM sent.

Pokey2006
05-08-2008, 17:04
Ya know, not every hostel is gonna be a great place to hang around, take zeros, crash at after a night at the bar. Some hostels are good for a quick stay, then on again. This is just such a hostel.

Hey, I escaped from a thunderstorm, reunited with a friend, had a veggie burger, and stayed up late typing on the Internet and drinking wine. I was happy with my stay.

Sure, there's a weird vibe there. It's not a good situation, with the neighbor, and now, sorry to hear, the divorce. But if you're in the area and there's a thunderstorm coming, it's good to know she's there.

orangebug
05-08-2008, 20:46
I'm with you Pokey.

I'd hate for hikers to avoid the Friendly because of the misbehavior of her neighbor - misbehavior that isn't much different from the drums and music of Trail Days - just with a nasty attitude.

So far, only esthetic issues are a problem with the neighbor. The Friendly has a business discipline that would have done Miss Janet well (well, not so rigid, but you know what I mean).

Waterfall
05-08-2008, 23:32
I had a pretty nice stay there in 2006. CC was still with her husband then and we all had a good visit. The neighbor's dog just about scared the poop out of me, but other than that I didn't really have any complaints. I probably wouldn't go back, though, for the reasons other mentioned--that it's so close to Erwin, and also that 0.6 miles seemed a lot longer because I wasn't sure if I was on the right side trail.

Tennessee Viking
05-08-2008, 23:54
I'm in the process of planning a short section hike from Hughes Gap to 19E, and was going to contact these folks for a shuttle and/or place to stay..............After reading thes eposts, it sounds like the shuttle part may be OK, but the overnite stay, not so much?

Any other input as to shuttle providers in this area?

Thanks.
It would actually work better if you get a shuttle from Mountain Harbour BB&H since they are next to the 19E trailhead. One reason, you do not want to leave your car overnight at 19E.

Mountain Harbour are good folk. They have shuttle/parking combo prices. I believe they just need a days notice to reserve a shuttle.

Greasy Creek is actually a few miles southbound of Hughes Gap.

Short Term
08-25-2008, 12:11
My son and I stayed there during an ill-fated hike last summer. We started our hike out of Erwin heading to Damascus and within 1 mile I fell and busted open my knee and required 10 stitches. Long story, I'll get into another time, but we ended up starting further up the trail (thanks to U J)and stayed with CC on night 2. There was one other person there who stayed in the house, so we got the bunk house...a little musty but what should you expect when you are sleeping in a shed. I do remember be warned about the neighbor, he did wake us up early reving his motorcycle, as expected. Yes, she did charge tax on food and "smiley faces", but she is trying to run a business. She is an Hasidic Jew (apparently converted?) and doesn't "work" on the Sabbath, however she was nice enough to take us up the trail a few miles on her way to Church (free of charge) so I could test my knee! We hiked back to the hostel, where we called it quits. (Stitches, risk of infection and a worried girl friend 200 miles away). Anyway, she broke her Sabbath to shuttle us to our car in Damascus of course for a fee. I found her to be very helpful and nice. Yes, she is a little different, but everytime I step on the trail I meet someone "a little different". That's part of what makes the trail so unique are the characters you meet along the way. After all, aren't we all a little different? Some just more than others! Think about it.

Tennessee Viking
08-25-2008, 13:53
My son and I stayed there during an ill-fated hike last summer. We started our hike out of Erwin heading to Damascus and within 1 mile I fell and busted open my knee and required 10 stitches. Long story, I'll get into another time, but we ended up starting further up the trail (thanks to U J)and stayed with CC on night 2. There was one other person there who stayed in the house, so we got the bunk house...a little musty but what should you expect when you are sleeping in a shed. I do remember be warned about the neighbor, he did wake us up early reving his motorcycle, as expected. Yes, she did charge tax on food and "smiley faces", but she is trying to run a business. She is an Hasidic Jew (apparently converted?) and doesn't "work" on the Sabbath, however she was nice enough to take us up the trail a few miles on her way to Church (free of charge) so I could test my knee! We hiked back to the hostel, where we called it quits. (Stitches, risk of infection and a worried girl friend 200 miles away). Anyway, she broke her Sabbath to shuttle us to our car in Damascus of course for a fee. I found her to be very helpful and nice. Yes, she is a little different, but everytime I step on the trail I meet someone "a little different". That's part of what makes the trail so unique are the characters you meet along the way. After all, aren't we all a little different? Some just more than others! Think about it.I remember running into you all at Cherry Gap. You should have seen me running back to Iron Mtn Gap that evening with the incoming lightning & thunderstorm.

I was wondering how you were going head up Roan with that knee.

Short Term
08-25-2008, 14:06
I remember.... As you can tell, we didn't make. It was a wise, but hard choice for us to call the hike, but I lived to hike another day on TWO legs. We told you about the trashed gap we had just hiked through, I can't remember the name of the gap. ...and I remember, that was a tough storm.

abl14221
07-28-2009, 10:42
Three of us stayed at the this hostel on a wet dreary June day.This proved to be one of the highlights of our entire AT experience! The hostel was absolutely spotless and the woman running this facility is an absolute delight!Connie or CC regaled us with jokes and and a show starring her cat.She also cooked dinner and breakfast at prices that were absolutely rediculously cheap! Her neighbor did not bother us one bit, only the barking of his dogs when we left.Ya, the shower pressure was a bit weak,but she also did laundry for us,talked about the next section of trail,and made us feel very welcome,hated to leave!How anyone can say they had a bad experience is beyond me! This place was not easy to find but well worth the the half mile walk!

Cannibal
07-28-2009, 10:53
I stayed there and had an excellent time. I kind of liked the fact that the place wasn't overrun with other hikers. In fact, we stayed there for a night again after Trail Days (long story). The neighbor is an idiot, but we were ready for him on the second visit. We picked-up some lawn chairs and set our alarms. By the time he came out to start his lawn mower, motorcycle, edger, and God knows what else, we were sitting outside his gate sipping coffee and cheering him on. He didn't seem appreciative and went back inside within about 20 minutes.

Nothing like a good mocking to start the day. :sun

Tennessee Viking
07-28-2009, 10:55
I stayed there and had an excellent time. I kind of liked the fact that the place wasn't overrun with other hikers. In fact, we stayed there for a night again after Trail Days (long story). The neighbor is an idiot, but we were ready for him on the second visit. We picked-up some lawn chairs and set our alarms. By the time he came out to start his lawn mower, motorcycle, edger, and God knows what else, we were sitting outside his gate sipping coffee and cheering him on. He didn't seem appreciative and went back inside within about 20 minutes.

Now thats cool.

Kerosene
07-28-2009, 11:37
By the time he came out to start his lawn mower, motorcycle, edger, and God knows what else, we were sitting outside his gate sipping coffee and cheering him on. He didn't seem appreciative and went back inside within about 20 minutes.Kudos on your creative response!

Cannibal
07-28-2009, 11:56
The worst part is that I later discovered the ijut is deaf. Had I known beforehand, we could have made big signs like at sporting events so he could have understood our taunts.

Live and learn.

Dogwood
07-28-2009, 21:50
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Greasy Creek Friendly in 2006. CC and her husband were still together then, and the neighbor was a little wacked. She was very accomodating though, always willing to cook what we wanted or talk about anything. We got a shuttle from them too, which worked out very smoothly. Yes, she charges tax on everything, but technically anytime you buy something you should be paying tax. The bunk house was a little rustic for my taste, but no more so then others. Overall, I was really happy with my stay there, and we found the neighbor to be quite amusing once we discovered what the situaiton was.

I was also there in 06. I share Rainbow Brite's sentiments. I and several other thru-hikers drove to Traildays with CC at the wheel. All of us had a good time. Although I found her eccentric and somewhat reserved, she always seemed nice, accomodating, patient, and willing to have a deep conversation. She seemed like a very honest person with a conscience. Hence, keeping records of taxable income. I don't have a problem wit folks who run a hostel to make a profit. She was still married. I never had a problem with the shower. I don' t think she accepts packages, but I could be wrong. It would seem that a full typical resupply might be better served at one of the nearby resupply pts. at places with greater services and amenities. The place is rustic, it doesn't have the amenities that some hostels have, but for just a night out of the rain, some delicious non-dehydrated trail food, or a less then whirlwind "zero" day the place is deserving of a possible visit.

Dogwood
07-28-2009, 21:56

Now, there you go. All depends on how you roll with it. It's experiences like this that make hiking the AT that much more memorable!

Tinker
07-28-2009, 23:06
IF i ever ran a hostel it would be totally for profit. i've seen what hikers give when asked for donations only. they always have money for beer, dope, restaurants, etc.

You got that right. Except that you might temper it with many, most, or something like that. You are a hiker, too, but you and I understand that the right way to get what you want is to give someone else what he/she wants. In this case it's money.
Now, if we all gave each other what we think the other deserves, we'd all end up in the big house.

Ramble~On
07-29-2009, 18:17
I stayed there on my way through and CC is wonderful, her bunkhouse is great and her food....she has a menu on the table and everything on it rocks! Sorry, I didn't read this entire thread..but I had a wonderful stay at Greasy Creek FRIENDLY. I even hiked back up the mountain and returned with some friends who also stayed. The Shroom Burgers were top notch! As for the nutjob...he makes the stay all the better.
When he realized that he wasn't bothering us and that we were amused by his 4:30 am chainsaw, lawnmower and hammering..he gave up and went inside. We took pictures and played some drums along to his beat...wonderful experience and he's a gem of a person who has the most tolerant neighbor in the world. Hats off to CC and Greasy Creek.

Gray Blazer
08-09-2009, 18:02
A really nice place. Connie is very gracious and very chatty. She remembered you, Ramble~On. You must have made a good impression.She loves hikers and I reccomend her highly. Her neighbor greeted us with the loud music but he had to go towork early.

She puts on a great cat show.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/093.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=35778&original=1&c=510)

Jeff
08-09-2009, 18:07
Is that cat overfed???:rolleyes:

Shelter mice would have no chance.

HolySmoke!
09-24-2010, 16:12
I was there... and found Connie's place to be truly friendly... The neighbor is Hostile toward hikers... but not violent apparently... Nothing violent has ever happened.... Unfortunately... If hiker's quit going there... ( as per your suggestion )... Then the ******* wins, and gets his way... Miss Connie and her friends are true blue AT friends.. Your suggestion would isolate them even more... I say if any hikers are in the area BE SURE TO STOP BY Miss Connie's place... and wave and be friendly to everyone even the mean neighbor.. Don't let the Jerk get his way... Miss Connie sheltered and cared for about a 1/2 dozen sick hikers while I was there including myself... We had the Nolachuckies flu... lol .. There is plenty of camping sites behind Miss Connie's cottage.. much more peaceful... No light s will bother you there, and you can camp by the creek which drowns out sound... Who the heck wants to stay in a bunkhouse with stinky snoring hikers, anyway? I really recommend this place and am so glad I stopped... I wish nothing but the best for them... Stop at Greasy Creek if you get a chance.... thx HolySmoke !

hopetofinish
09-25-2010, 12:56
I only 'visited' there to leave the car on a day hike. She was welcoming to me and accommodating, the other hikers I met at the end of the day seemed quite content in her house. She seemed a bit eccentric, but hey, that's not so rare, given her circumstances/situation.
As far as her neighbor goes, I did encounter the dogs, but again, nothing unusual. Find it hard to believe, based on the behavioral description, that he's schizophrenic, as most folks with this illness don't go to all that trouble to irritate others. Sociopath, he very well might be, and makes him all the more dangerous. Too bad law enforcement chooses to ignore him.
I am a section hiker and will encounter Greasy Creek hostel again, probably only for a shuttle, but I will not hesitate.

EAnderson
10-24-2010, 14:18
We stopped at Connie's place Thursday night and had a great time. She was a wonderful host, very friendly and accommodating. Food was great, one of the best salads on the AT. Made a delicious chocolate b-day cake for my wife. The neighbor did not cause any problems while we were there other than his morning ride to the mailbox at 5:00, 6:00, and 7:00am.

Don't let the neighbor scare you away, we had a great stay!

gungho
10-24-2010, 20:13
when i hiked thru that section their was a handwritten sign that read "Hiking warning Bed Bugs" and a pile of trees and brush was blocking the trail, making it hard to figure out exactly which direction the hostile was. must have been sabotage from the neighbor

Wise Old Owl
10-24-2010, 20:47
Really sad and dissapointing to hear about... I forget where is Greasy Creek?

Rain Man
10-25-2010, 08:28
Really sad and dissapointing to hear about... I forget where is Greasy Creek?

Just north of Erwin, TN.

And the GCF was a great stay for me and my daughter.

mattmc89
11-18-2010, 13:53
It was raining and I decided to go there when trying a thru. It was just me and another person there, and since I am allergic to cats I ended up sleeping outside in my tent anyways (in the woods, 100 yards from the house....for like $10). I was then woke up about 4 times throughout the night/morning by this neighbor (NPR/Lawnmower/Music...) She just told me that he wouldn't try to hurt me, only scare me. Pretty nice lady....but definably in my top 3 worst experiences on the trail.

Jeff
11-18-2010, 14:46
CeeCee is an interesting and generous person.

It is helpful for future hikers that you pointed out that if you are allergic to cats....beware!!!

Blissful
11-18-2010, 16:27
Yeah that dude was out in the middle of the night when I was in the hostel (from 4 AM on, supposedly, is what Connie said). I wore earplugs. Didn't hear a thing.

kip wing
10-31-2011, 04:39
Greasy Creek is a wonderful place and always has been. If you don't like barking dogs and mountain people then go back to your suburb or whatever it is that tickles your pickle. Connie is just trying to play out the cards she has been given and I think she is doing very well. Yes, she makes you shower upon arrival! If you were hiking you probably are dirty!!! Yes it takes 3 hrs round trip to go to town because it's in the middle of nowhere!!! Its a luxury for a thru hiker and we will gladly ride a hour to a all you can eat buffet. Yes, Bill the neighbor is crazy. But we are as well...were at a strangers house in the middle of nowhere...think about it in his shoes. Ignore it he is harmless and will die soon, it makes a fun story to tell. I stayed for 4 days and helped renovate and dig gardens for Connie. She is just trying to make a living like all of us. Fact of the matter is.... Connie is wonderful and had a heart of gold. All the thru hikers loved her this year. Her dog is wonderful. Section hikers are crybabies and need not judge Greasy Creek is a taste of real Appalachia life and the struggles of a single divorced woman who live ALONE in the woods. Felt like home. 9 out of 10 Don't take a weekend to judge a hostel...stay and help or dodge a tornado or freak snow and share stories... Connie came to trail days to come see all the hikeds who passed thru the hostel. She isn't in it for the money. I know... She let us stay free because the tornadoes that were passing thru were really bad and I think she wanted the company. I LOVE GREASY CREEK!! CONNIE WOULD HELP ANY OF YOU.

waasj
11-06-2011, 11:26
I was there this summer and the feud continues. Did not see the neighbor or his "rabid dogs", but did hear his 0530 wakeup call. CC was accomodating and kind. A few issues with water pressure etc., but nothing that any other house on a gravity feed system might run into. Bunkhouse was comfortable. Would not avoid the place if I were in the area again.

wornoutboots
11-07-2011, 23:27
Greasy Creek is a wonderful place and always has been. If you don't like barking dogs and mountain people then go back to your suburb or whatever it is that tickles your pickle. Connie is just trying to play out the cards she has been given and I think she is doing very well. Yes, she makes you shower upon arrival! If you were hiking you probably are dirty!!! Yes it takes 3 hrs round trip to go to town because it's in the middle of nowhere!!! Its a luxury for a thru hiker and we will gladly ride a hour to a all you can eat buffet. Yes, Bill the neighbor is crazy. But we are as well...were at a strangers house in the middle of nowhere...think about it in his shoes. Ignore it he is harmless and will die soon, it makes a fun story to tell. I stayed for 4 days and helped renovate and dig gardens for Connie. She is just trying to make a living like all of us. Fact of the matter is.... Connie is wonderful and had a heart of gold. All the thru hikers loved her this year. Her dog is wonderful. Section hikers are crybabies and need not judge Greasy Creek is a taste of real Appalachia life and the struggles of a single divorced woman who live ALONE in the woods. Felt like home. 9 out of 10 Don't take a weekend to judge a hostel...stay and help or dodge a tornado or freak snow and share stories... Connie came to trail days to come see all the hikeds who passed thru the hostel. She isn't in it for the money. I know... She let us stay free because the tornadoes that were passing thru were really bad and I think she wanted the company. I LOVE GREASY CREEK!! CONNIE WOULD HELP ANY OF YOU.

I agree with everything you said but you can keep your sterotyping to yourself, I'm a section hiker & prefer to hike that way, I stayed there a few weeks ago & had a great stay. As far as section hikers vs thru hikers go unfortunately it is a few bad apple, big ego thru hikers who give hikers in general bad names, there are many stories on here to back that up by trashing & stiffing hostels. All the section hikers I cross on the path seem extremely happy & helpful. It's pretty simple, respect & be respected.

Rain Man
11-08-2011, 10:25
...Section hikers are crybabies ....

Seems you are doing the crying here. What's with the brain-dead stereotyping?

Rain Man

kip wing
11-12-2011, 14:25
Ok, im guilty of stereotyping and I apologize. But I stick with CONNIE IS AMAZING!!!!!!!! YAY and I hope everyone has a good hike day soon

ChinMusic
11-12-2011, 14:43
I had talked to her a couple times when planning our section hike last May. She was very pleasant. It turned out that everyone in our group decided to stay on the trail. I did meet Connie briefly at the road crossing just before the Roan climb as she was dropping off a hiker. She seemed just as pleasant in person as on the phone.

Rain Man
11-13-2011, 22:44
Ok, im guilty of stereotyping and I apologize. But I stick with CONNIE IS AMAZING!!!!!!!! YAY and I hope everyone has a good hike day soon

Apology accepted. And you are right.

Captain Blue
11-13-2011, 23:34
Connie is just trying to play out the cards she has been given .... Yes it takes 3 hrs round trip to go to town because it's in the middle of nowhere!!!

Yes, Connie is amazing. She is a wonderful hostess and a genuinely great person. But I dispute your facts. The unfriendly neighbor was there at least 10 years before Connie moved in. So saying she "is just trying to play out the cards she has been given" might be a bit misleading. The town of Roan Mountain is ~15 miles from the Greasy Creek Friendly. Many hikers resupply here. It is not an easy drive but it is not nearly a three hour round trip drive. I know. I drove it last month.

Gray Blazer
11-14-2011, 13:07
I said it before and I'll say it again. I love Connie.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/travis_249.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=48872&original=1&c=510)

We had a great stay. I bet you wish that you were Connie's cat.

Love you, Connie

whatnot
09-29-2012, 12:11
Holy moly....that's a big cat!

Drybones
09-29-2012, 14:07
I said it before and I'll say it again. I love Connie.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/2/1/7/travis_249.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=48872&original=1&c=510)

We had a great stay. I bet you wish that you were Connie's cat.

Love you, Connie

She needs to feed that cat once in a while...kinda poorly lookin.

Drybones
09-29-2012, 14:12
I dropped by Greasy Creek this spring to get supplies and had lunch. People were nice enough but the place was too far off the trail for what they had for supplies, I'd keep going next time.

HikerMom58
09-29-2012, 14:16
She's nice... we stayed there with her 1 night... she made a birthday cake for my daughter. ( I had asked her to do that as a surprise ahead of time) :)

Rain Man
09-30-2012, 12:36
She's nice... we stayed there with her 1 night... she made a birthday cake for my daughter. ( I had asked her to do that as a surprise ahead of time) :)

I can "DITTO" what HikerMom wrote. My daughter and I stayed there. Call a week or so ahead and she'll add what you need to her weekly grocery store list. She's a sweet lady.

Gray Blazer
10-01-2012, 10:22
Her cat ran away (possibly her neighbor ate it).

RED-DOG
10-01-2012, 14:13
Yeah i stayed their in 06 and had a really tough time with the neighbor, but C.C seemed really nice but it was one heck of a climb back up to the AT the next morning. I didn't stay their on this years THRU mainly because of the rude ass neighbor and the climb back to the AT.

trovar
10-21-2012, 04:35
Greasy Creek Friendly was one of my most memorable stays on the entire trail!

MuddyWaters
10-21-2012, 23:16
I didnt stay there, but the persons I met that did had good things to say. And the usual story about the lawnmower neighbor.

whatnot
01-08-2013, 17:45
Will Greasy Creek Friendly still be open this year?

joshuasdad
01-08-2013, 17:58
The sign at the gap (was there December 28) indicated that they were always open (and ignore the fake signs posted by the infamous neighbor). Baltimore Jack also told me at Kincora that Connie was open for business.

Rain Man
01-08-2013, 23:42
Will Greasy Creek Friendly still be open this year?

You could call her and ask.

Rain Man

pinkleprechaun2034
03-31-2013, 20:23
very well said Rain Man...i had the same experience while hiking in early February of this year...

Connie is a very nice and caring lady, but what everyone must understand is that she has been thru a lot in the last few years

FarmerChef
04-03-2013, 10:57
I just stayed at Greasy Creek and we LOVED it. Connie runs a very warm and welcoming hostel that was one of the best experiences we've had at a hostel. Thankful her infamous neighbor did not bother us other than shining his very bright flashlight at the door of the hostel around 5:00am. I didn't care and went back to sleep. Here's a bit of detail if anyone's interested:

We arrived cold and wet from a rainy, cold day. Connie:

Got us situated in the hostel right away and invited everyone to come inside, even our dog (we declined that part).
She had a fire going in her cook stove and took our socks and hung them up to dry in front of the fire
Gave us newspaper to ball up and put in our shoes so we could hasten their drying by the stove.
Shared some of her food with everyone who was there though there was plenty of food we could have (and did) bought
Braided my girls hair after their shower. Um, wow.
Provided us with camp shoes to use while our shoes dried
Had extra clothes in case we needed them while we took a shower
And more...

One small note is that it can be a bit unsettling trying to find the hostel on the old jeep trails. Plus the infamous neighbor likes to post misleading signs and rip down hers. We left wooden sticks and rocks in the shape of arrows at all of the intersections but I'll post the specific directions here for any who might be interested in stopping in:

When you arrive at the gap NOBO turn hard right and take the jeep trail down. If you arrive SOBO in the clearing take a slight left and continue down.
The guide says to take the "1st left". This is technically correct but there are other trails that may look like candidates. If it isn't down don't take it and if it looks to cross the creek don't take it. Just keep going down.
The metal gate the guide talks about is the kind the forest service has across roads. It's got the big long bar on top with an angled bar underneath down to the metal post holding it all up. It's not a cattle gate or similar.
Enjoy!

HikerMom58
04-03-2013, 11:50
I just stayed at Greasy Creek and we LOVED it. Connie runs a very warm and welcoming hostel that was one of the best experiences we've had at a hostel. Thankful her infamous neighbor did not bother us other than shining his very bright flashlight at the door of the hostel around 5:00am. I didn't care and went back to sleep. Here's a bit of detail if anyone's interested:

We arrived cold and wet from a rainy, cold day. Connie:

Got us situated in the hostel right away and invited everyone to come inside, even our dog (we declined that part).
She had a fire going in her cook stove and took our socks and hung them up to dry in front of the fire
Gave us newspaper to ball up and put in our shoes so we could hasten their drying by the stove.
Shared some of her food with everyone who was there though there was plenty of food we could have (and did) bought
Braided my girls hair after their shower. Um, wow.
Provided us with camp shoes to use while our shoes dried
Had extra clothes in case we needed them while we took a shower
And more...

One small note is that it can be a bit unsettling trying to find the hostel on the old jeep trails. Plus the infamous neighbor likes to post misleading signs and rip down hers. We left wooden sticks and rocks in the shape of arrows at all of the intersections but I'll post the specific directions here for any who might be interested in stopping in:

When you arrive at the gap NOBO turn hard right and take the jeep trail down. If you arrive SOBO in the clearing take a slight left and continue down.
The guide says to take the "1st left". This is technically correct but there are other trails that may look like candidates. If it isn't down don't take it and if it looks to cross the creek don't take it. Just keep going down.
The metal gate the guide talks about is the kind the forest service has across roads. It's got the big long bar on top with an angled bar underneath down to the metal post holding it all up. It's not a cattle gate or similar.
Enjoy!

Thanks FarmerChef... good to know. We've stayed with Connie before... she's very nice!

Tharwood
04-11-2013, 14:34
Sorry , but someone may need to pay the neighbor a visit.... with a roll of dimes in a bandana........

AngryGerman
04-22-2013, 11:13
I too had a bad experience with the neighboor when myself and two other SOBO's stayed there in Jan. after some cold, snowy, rainy walking! Wack job came out of his house when I set my gear down on CC's lawn yelling at me saying he was going to get his gun and call the police because I was near his property! I retorted to said wack-job; I was just the hiker he needed to come out and harass, informing him that he would not scare a many times over war vet with his bs and if need be, shoot then call the cops. I also said some other choice words that seemed appropriate and will not repeat on here at this time! Don't let that old, crossbred/inbred degenerate deter you from her establishment like he has been trying to do for years. He wins every time hikers pass her place because they are afraid or don't want to deal with his bs! More should walk that extra 1.1 so that their presence in itself says we support CC and would like you to... PISS OFF!

CC was great... she made us the food we wanted , had great treats and is not afraid to tell you the history of that place and I would stop there time and time again! CC has one of those kind hearts who just can't bear to see anyone else suffer, even though she does at times get crapped on by others. I think CC will be there long after that turd gets flushed down the toilet!

Gray Blazer
04-22-2013, 11:56
He's pretty deaf, so he may not have heard you. Connie's great. Seeing the weird neighbor is part of the experience.

Gambit McCrae
03-24-2014, 14:03
My son and I stayed there during an ill-fated hike last summer. We started our hike out of Erwin heading to Damascus and within 1 mile I fell and busted open my knee and required 10 stitches. Long story, I'll get into another time, but we ended up starting further up the trail (thanks to U J)and stayed with CC on night 2. There was one other person there who stayed in the house, so we got the bunk house...a little musty but what should you expect when you are sleeping in a shed. I do remember be warned about the neighbor, he did wake us up early reving his motorcycle, as expected. Yes, she did charge tax on food and "smiley faces", but she is trying to run a business. She is an Hasidic Jew (apparently converted?) and doesn't "work" on the Sabbath, however she was nice enough to take us up the trail a few miles on her way to Church (free of charge) so I could test my knee! We hiked back to the hostel, where we called it quits. (Stitches, risk of infection and a worried girl friend 200 miles away). Anyway, she broke her Sabbath to shuttle us to our car in Damascus of course for a fee. I found her to be very helpful and nice. Yes, she is a little different, but everytime I step on the trail I meet someone "a little different". That's part of what makes the trail so unique are the characters you meet along the way. After all, aren't we all a little different? Some just more than others! Think about it.

This, especially the last few sentences is how I feel about the trail, and why I love the AT. For one I just walked thru here to CC's on saturday and yes the dog barked. He was contained in his fence and my 95 pound lab pit grimmaced and walked on past him. I feel sorry for the old angry man at the end of the road...But not scared of him. If it has been an issue since as far back as 05' and earlier? probably not a real threat just an annoyance. I did however meet Miss CC! And let me tell ya what a sweet lady! She did not want to break the sabath rule but insisted on giving us a free ride and at the car I said I wanted to donate to the GCF and she accepted. Connie has a lot to talk about, and alot goin on but what a sweet lady :) Here is my suggestion, Dont stay in the shed because I like my Hilleberg lol, leave plenty of time to hear about Connies poems, book and age old history of the area. respect her rules. And enjoy the crazy bizaar life that those two people at the end of the road share because personally I think its a hoot.

Dogwood
03-24-2014, 16:47
Connie is a warm caring gentle soul, not that she doesn't have her peculiarities, offering shelter, a cot, use of a computer, a shower, and good meals at a reasonable price. My Greasy Creek Hostel stays proved to me that it isn't always the most lavish of hostels that make for a memorable AT hiking experience. :) I've stopped twice, both times in downpours, and would gladly do so again! She personally cooks and serves what I consider a conscientiously prepared fresh healthy meal. In short, she's good people to break bread with. I agree, the neighbor isn't going to keep me from visiting Connie. It's part of the ambiance.

Being a good teacher, Connie enthusiastically taught me how Greasy Crk got it's name(it's prolly not what you think) and Jewelweed. She showed me how the jewelweed jelly helped stop me from itching at my mild case of poison ivy and how it got it's name when a leaf went into the water turning it into a silvery diamond that the American Indians sometimes used as a fishing lure. It's those kind of things I remember the most not the MPD avgs, type of gear I had, the mice/bears, etc. It puts a smile on my face thinking about people like Connie and staying at Greasy Ck Hostel. For me, that's why I hike.

http://www.thenaturelabs.com/article.php?id=36

GoldenBear
07-27-2018, 19:34
Assuming you want to start or end your hike at the Greasy Creek, and thus you want to drive to that place, here's the directions -- complete with photos.

First, here are links to useful maps:
https://tinyurl.com/Unicoi2NC
https://tinyurl.com/Buladean2

We'll assume that you're starting from Interstate 26, south of Johnson City in Tennessee. Specifically, Exit 32, Tennessee State Highway 173 into the city of Unicoi.
Drive east on Highway 173 into Unicoi, and it will soon merge with State Highway 107. Continue east on 107 (for some reason, signs for Highway 173 disappear), staying on that road as Highway 173 veers off to the left.
You'll go up the hill on Highway 107. When you reach the crest, you're at Iron Mountain Gap, where the A.T. crosses this road, and entering North Carolina, where the highway is now numbered 226. Note that there is no signs at the crest indicating any of these facts.
You're now going southeast on NC State Highway 226 as you go down the hill. Eventually you'll reach the town of Buladean.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62860
The first road after you see the sign for this town is Hughes Gap Road, and this is where you turn left -- which is the only choice you have.
Note that, although Google{R} Maps show that this is also County Road 1330, there is no sign indicating that -- so just watch for Hughes Gap.
Soon after you turn on Hughes Gap Road, you'll come to Greasy Creek Road.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62859
Again, turn left here, which is (again) your only choice. And again, this is also County Road 1355, but there is no sign indicating that.
Keep going up Greasy Creek Road, bypassing the various roads that veer off this street. It was hard for me at times to tell which road is Greasy Creek and which wasn't but, if you make a mistake, you'll quickly recognize that fact and be able to continue up Greasy Creek.
You'll see various buildings as you continue, but you won't be at "Friendly" until you're at the 1827 address.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62858
Just turn left into the driveway -- and you're there!

GoldenBear
07-27-2018, 21:43
During my ridiculously short, SOBO hike last week, I parked my car at Greasy Creek Friendly ($2 per night), got shuttled to my starting point, and then had to walk back to CGF. This means I had to know (1) when I was at Greasy Creek Gap and (2) which way to go once I got there. Task (1) was quite simple -- it's almost impossible to NOT know you're at a gap with jeep roads leading away. But even with an excellent sense of direction -- I knew that going south on The Trail meant I had to turn left -- I still wasn't 100% certain I had made the right choice till I was at the walkway from GCF. That's a long way for me to be uncertain about this!
So, I chose to help the next hikers who need to choose the right way to go.

As others have noted, the main PROBLEM that occurs at this gap is that, when you traveling TRAIL north, you are (pretty much) going COMPASS south. This schematic shows the potential for trouble:
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62869
Thus, if you read the guide books that tell you the GCF is "east" of the A.T., and you use your compass to determine which way is "east," you'll go in the wrong direction!
So I'll just give these instructions:
(1) If you're going north on the A.T. and you've just left Highway 226 at Iron Mountain Gap, then you'll turn RIGHT at the gap to get to Greasy Creek.
(2) If you're going south on the A.T. and you've just left the Clyde Smith Shelter, then you'll turn LEFT at the gap to get to Greasy Creek.

Another clue: the blue-blazed trail, the one that goes to Tiger Creek, is the WRONG trail. Always remember -- don't take the blue-blazed trail!
Also, there was a road going away from the gap that seemed to more directly connect to this blue-blazed trail. I have no idea where it goes (if anywhere), but don't take it, either.

If, like me, you're heading south on the A.T., you'll see a large fire ring at the camp site at Greasy Creek Gap.
Neither of the "wrong" trails can be seen from this large fire ring. If you are wondering if a road going down from the gap is the one to take, just ask yourself if you can see this fire ring as it starts to go down. If not, then it's probably NOT the one you want!
Near this fire ring is a tree with small arrows.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62868
There may also be arrows on a tree as you go north on The Trail, but I didn't look.
But the arrows are correct -- follow them to the road that goes down.

An even better indicator of the direction is a sign stating specifically which way to Greasy Creek and which way to Tiger Creek.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62867
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62866
Again, as these photos show, this sign is close to the fire ring; but the sign is NOT visible from the "wrong" trails.
If the large fire ring is at your back, and the sign is in front of you, then walk to your RIGHT to the road to GCF.
Note that this sign COULD be removed by someone. If you don't notice a sign near the fire ring, look instead for the rock pile that the sign would be standing in.

Okay, now you're going down a road that you're pretty certain is the right one. But you want to be MORE certain. What can help is to look for blazes of this color
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62865
Some of these markings are on rocks, some are on trees. If you see them, you're okay.

Okay, now you're absolutely certain you're on the right road going down from the gap. How do you make certain that you don't get off this path? Some hints:
(1) The road to GCF always goes DOWN the hill. If a path would take you up-hill, just ignore it.
(2) The road to GCF NEVER crosses the creek to your right. You'll notice a few places where someone has walked (driven a jeep??) to the creek, but (unless you want water), this isn't the way to go.
(3) The road to GCF is ALWAYS the most heavily-trod one. If you see a path that doesn't seem to have had major traffic on it, that is NOT the way to go.

Okay, you're smart enough to stay ON the road -- how do you know where you get OFF?
You will see several dilapidated (abandoned?) structures as you walk down. If there's a fence, or no easy way to get to these structures, just keep walking.
Eventually you'll find a metal, swinging gate that would cover the entire jeep road. It was wide open when I got there, it may be closed for you. But this is a clue to get ready for the next marker.

Just before you get to GCF, you'll see this gate on your left.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62864
It's pretty obvious that the owner of this property does NOT want people to come through this gate, so just don't.
I half-expected to see the classic sign: "No trespassing! Violators will be shot! Survivors will be shot a second time!!"

Just past this gate is the entrance to GCF on your right.
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62863
https://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=62862
There's no fence or gate, so it's equally obvious that the owner DOES want people to come down this path.
When you do, expect a warm greeting from Ceasy!

LesterC
08-04-2019, 20:45
Stayed at Greasy Creek on my section hike last October (2018). It was a lifesaver. Walked in there SOBO, having left Round Bald that morning. I was exhausted after a rough night at Round Bald. The view was beautiful from Round Bald but the winds were dern near gale force all night as the remnants of Hurricane Michael was passing through. The temps dropped into the upper 30s. I was expecting lows in the 50s. Survived the night and spent day walking south, looking forward to staying indoors. Walked into Greasy Creek about 5ish. The proprietors were very hospitable. My room was clean and comfortable. They fed me a great breakfast early the next morning and bid me on my way early, as I had requested. It was worth the half mile walk down from the trail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LazyLightning
08-05-2019, 18:11
I went down for a small resupply (didn't stay) before heading up Roan the next day in pouring rain and what turned out to be the worst winter weather I experienced on trail in mid April! (ok well except the climb up Katahdin above tree line and to the top at the end...).

My plan was a big day through the highlands from the bottom of Roan and my buddy was picking me up at 19E. I heard about the weather and figured I better get a little extra stuff and give myself 2 days - glad I did. I made it up to the Roan shelter early afternoon in pouring rain and wind, I was soaked, temps were dropping and I'm glad I stayed. Woke up the next morning to a line of snow that came in the upper part of that shelter, must have been through a ridge vent. Snow on the ground and snowing with high winds. My socks were frozen solid, I had to have them under my seating pad for a few to be able to put them on, shove my feat in my frozen shoes and get moving.

20s, snow and windy all day to the Barn Shelter (it wasn't all day but no way I was making 19E), where I took the wrong trail. I'm thinking this seems like a lot longer then it should be. I had read the barn is in a big field area and I just hiked up this big long hill to a big field area, I get up over the hump and see it's just one big open, empty field.... then I turn around and way in the distance, way lower in elevation, I see the Barn Shelter - that was a kicker! …. so I remember telling myself "alright, don't freak out and start pushing it back trying to find the place like a mad man, sweating and getting yourself in a worst situation" … and of course that's exactly what I did. I'm going this way, that way, putting my pack down and running down trails trying to see if it's the right one. Finally made it and stupid me thought the blue blaze was just to water (the shelter is beyond) and I took that historic battle trail getting all mixed up. It was so cold up there I had most of my layers on hiking that got a little moist from my pushing it and sweating but I was able to get all bundled up in my bag and let it all dry with body heat while still keeping warm - good old merino wool.

The next day started the same but cleared up after Big Bald. The wind was so strong going up Big Bald I literally had to stop at least 10 times with my back against the wind and trekking poles planted in front of me - almost got blown over several times. Different world when I got down to 19E and my buddy picked me up for a zero (up to Grandfather Mountain!) and some much needed recouping. That was a crazy experience and one of my favorite parts of the trail.

---on second thought my original plan was the bottom of Roan to the Barn, then 19E the next day.... I had to make it 2 days from bottom of Roan (or a few miles prior) to 19E.

---I also should have added how nice she was, making me her burgers her way with the toasted buns rather then the do-it-yourself microwave style. I had a few things to eat and a small resupply, there was really just snacks n stuff there, not meant as a resupply spot. She was very nice and accommodating for the short time I was there and wouldn't let me go without a picture of me for her page, like every hiker that goes through. Very clean to, wouldn't let any hiker in her place without bringing them straight to wash there hands first. It's the kind of place you wish you had more time to hang around...