PDA

View Full Version : what crackers are the best?

johnny quest
05-07-2008, 13:50
from the standpoint of 1.freshness
2. compatibility/versatility with other foods 3. trail availability and of course 4. crumble-proof-ed-ness

sofaking
05-07-2008, 13:53
ain't no good crackers!

KnowledgeEngine
05-07-2008, 13:55
I've always been a fan of triscuts & club crackers. As far as the integrity of the cracker goes though, I think they all crumble pretty easy. I would recommend top of the pack, in a ziplock with air blown into it. Same principle behind a bag of chips being so full of air.

deeddawg
05-07-2008, 14:38
I've had good success with a convenience store size box town crackers -- something about the smaller box and the two smaller sleeves of crackers seemed to help keep it all intact. Top of food back and top of pack, don't compress it down. Good for a couple days.

steve43
05-07-2008, 14:40
to keep my crackers from turning into crumbs, i store them in an old pringles container. i've never had a problem with crushed crackers, and the container weight in minimal. that being said, i buy what ever is on sale and is shaped to fit in a pringles cylinder. fifo

emerald
05-07-2008, 14:51
Even though I'm born and raised in The Green Diamond, I must answer coal crackers, if only to get a single rise from someone in Schyulkill County. After all, when The Reading Company briefly was the highest valued corporation in the world, its assets were based mostly upon its anthracite coal holdings according to what I've read.

I would have linked something from Urban Dictionary for those who never heard the term, but thought better of it.

budforester
05-07-2008, 15:19
to keep my crackers from turning into crumbs, i store them in an old pringles container. i've never had a problem with crushed crackers, and the container weight in minimal. that being said, i buy what ever is on sale and is shaped to fit in a pringles cylinder. fifo

Same idea; I use the Lay's tubes because they are plastic. Squeeze a bit as you slide the saltines in... also works for ritz and for stacks of cookies.

Seeker
05-07-2008, 15:25
wheat thins are about the most durable without special handling. triscuits are next, imho. club, ritz, and saltines are softer. i protect my crackers with the aforementioned 'air in bag' technique... wish i'd thought of of the pringles tube thing! that's a great idea!

auburnbreeze
05-07-2008, 15:45
TLC crackers in whatever small disposable container I can find. If being used for several meals/snacks I have used empty non-dairy creamer containers.

flemdawg1
05-07-2008, 17:27
I've fit an entire sleeve of saltines in a Nestle Quik box. Might be a bit bulky for LDH, but good for dayhiking or a weekend.

ChinMusic
05-07-2008, 17:55
I'd say the Bulldogs

bigcranky
05-07-2008, 18:02
Cheezits. Mmmmm.

sofaking
05-07-2008, 18:02
folks from ga. are pretty good crackers...then again, so are tarheels...fla. used to have crackers before all the new yorkers and people from ontario moved down there, them and the boat people...come to think of it, there's all kinds of crackers to consider...south carolina, arkansas, tennesse, alaBAMA!, louisiana, polly anna, fried shrimp, broiled shrimp, boiled shrimp, shrimp cocktail, shrimp scampi,shrimp kabobs, shrimp stew...

Appalachian Tater
05-07-2008, 18:09
Oyster crackers, mini wheat thins, goldfish, and the little square cheese-flavored crackers, I think in about that order. But chicken-in-a-biskit and bacon-flavored crackers hold up okay. Also Target has their own brand (not red bullseye Target but still their own brand) of chili-lime crackers that come in a green box.

johnny quest
05-07-2008, 18:12
your all wrong! although forrest came closest.
ritz crackers are the ****. end of thread.

Heater
05-07-2008, 18:16

Yep. Ritz. :)

Heater
05-07-2008, 18:17
Yep. Ritz. :)

Club come in second for me.

Cherokee Bill
05-07-2008, 18:18
:-? There are NO crumble-proof crackers :rolleyes: BUT! Do not worry, they do NOT last long.:D

Blissful
05-07-2008, 22:13
Yeah, even cracker crumbs are good to a thru hiker. :)
Or sprinkle them on your lipton noodles.

CrumbSnatcher
05-07-2008, 22:24
ritz crackers with philly cream cheese topped off with jalapeno slices...

sofaking
05-07-2008, 22:55
ritz crackers with philly cream cheese topped off with jalapeno slices...
triscuts instead of ritz, philly and japs + salsa...

JAK
05-07-2008, 23:35
Graham Crackers of course. Gotta suppress those carnal urges, especially when you get up north and have to content with all those crazed Mainers with their orgone accumulators and cloudbusters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_cracker
"It was originally conceived of as a health food as part of the Graham Diet, a regimen to suppress what he considered unhealthy carnal urges, the source of many maladies according to Graham."

http://www.wilhelmreichmuseum.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRHA9W-zExQ

Whiskyjo
05-07-2008, 23:35
I use a tennis ball container in one of my side pockets and store a pack and a half of club crackers in it. They stay fresh and never get crushed.

desdemona
05-07-2008, 23:40
Whole grain water type crackers-- different brands. Lower in salt, crumble resistance, adult taste, good with about everything.

--des

Uncle B
05-08-2008, 00:01
what is 'adult taste'?

Maybe they taste like scotch, I dunno :-?

KnowledgeEngine
05-08-2008, 02:02
They taste like fermented soylent green. (adult taste)

Bearpaw
05-08-2008, 09:19
I held up fine on my thru-hike, and my students remind me I'm a cracker all the time. ;)

Newb
05-08-2008, 09:30
MRE Crackers are the best. 1 serving of MRE crackers with one serving of MRE peanut butter is 425 calories. Yum.

Get them at Longlifefoods

StarLyte
05-08-2008, 09:33
Ritz and Triscuits are the best, but if you try LOW FAT in these 2 you'll see that they are crunchier! Slather on the cheeses and peanut butter oh yeah.

They both go real good with Dr. Pepper :D

CrumbSnatcher
05-08-2008, 09:36
triscuts instead of ritz, philly and japs + salsa...
people always gave me a weird look when i would pull out my jar of salsa when hiking. i would leave town with a bag of doritos and a glass jar of salsa,then pull out my six pack of pepsi. gotta wash it down right?

CrumbSnatcher
05-08-2008, 09:58
what kind of beer is 'pepsi'? is it one of those new flavored beers, with lime or salt or something? pepsi...
i like to smoke my beer and wash it down with a pepsi. but i'll tell you those 2 1/2 gallon collapseible water bags hold a 12 pack of beer and a bag of ice for those short 3-5 mile gotta get out of town times...

CrumbSnatcher
05-08-2008, 10:01
besides,the code word for beer is porkchop

johnny quest
05-08-2008, 10:04
graham crackers are not crackers at all. they have no place in this discussion. they are cookies at best...and as cookies go they are meager.

RadioFreq
05-08-2008, 11:03
...and you can fit a full box (4 stacks) in a 1/2 gallon milk carton. Use the wax paper kind, not plastic. This carton works great for protecting Ritz, Saltines, Pop Tarts, whatever you got that tends to crumble on the trail.

envirodiver
05-08-2008, 11:11

Everything is better on a Ritz. Just ask Andy Griffith...he wouldn't lie.

I also like the Wheat crackers w/ seeds on them, and just plain ole Premium saltines are awfully good w/ a glass of milk. Any cracker will hold up well if you put them in a container.

leeki pole
05-08-2008, 11:15
Nobody has mentioned wheat thins? Travesty! Eat a can of Pringles, then stuff them into the can. Tennis ball can, no thanks. Smells like wool forever. Wheat thins with PB, salsa or cream cheese, yummy!

envirodiver
05-08-2008, 11:15
besides,the code word for beer is porkchop

Not for Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese. Their code word was sandwich, when they were announcing baseball games on TV. Hey PeeWee give me another sandwich, you hear a pop and a silence then Dizzy say, "Pimento cheese, my favorite".

Christopher Robin
05-08-2008, 11:23
I like most crackers & use a mayo plastic jar or a bread crumb container becuase it's all carboard w/a plastic top. When a was shopping for crakers I find a new size rice, wheat, & multi-grain cakes, that is 1/2" thick by 4 1/2 x 2' great for lunch P.B or spread.

envirodiver
05-08-2008, 11:27
I've found that the empty plastic peanut butter jars are good for carrying crumbly stuff in.

CrumbSnatcher
05-08-2008, 11:27
Not for Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese. Their code word was sandwich, when they were announcing baseball games on TV. Hey PeeWee give me another sandwich, you hear a pop and a silence then Dizzy say, "Pimento cheese, my favorite".
classic! thanks

envirodiver
05-08-2008, 11:30
classic! thanks

LOL...you're welcome, made me laugh when I remembered it too.:D

Just Jack
05-08-2008, 12:39
Say--what do y'all think 'bout them red neck crackers?

Mother's Finest
05-08-2008, 16:54
best crackers are Wasa....german brand multi grain. dusty.

peace
mf

Skidsteer
05-08-2008, 17:29

peace
mf

That's right. I'm partial to the Wasa sourdough rye myself.

Tough to make them go stale. Finn crisps are good too.

Sleepy the Arab
05-08-2008, 18:06
I use a tennis ball container in one of my side pockets and store a pack and a half of club crackers in it. They stay fresh and never get crushed.

But what about that odor? Last thing I would want would be crackers that taste like balls.

Tennis balls, you dirty, dirty pervert!

take-a-knee
05-08-2008, 18:15
I've found that the empty plastic peanut butter jars are good for carrying crumbly stuff in.

Yes, and powders like milk or protein powder also.

desdemona
05-08-2008, 23:44
what is 'adult taste'? slightly nutty, with a hint of maturity...an aroma of respectability, after notes of faded youth...

LOL! Not sweet, not too salty. Drives a Prius. :sun
(Drinks scotch after hours.)

--des

ShelterLeopard
06-05-2008, 18:01
Ryvita! Strong, hearty compact, they go a long way, and they're healthy and REALLY good!

Farr Away
06-06-2008, 11:57
Wheat thins or Triscuits - they hold up pretty well.

CT5150
07-08-2008, 23:14
Bigcranky had it right. Cheez-Its are the way to go. The low sodium ones seem to be a big crispier.

ed bell
07-09-2008, 09:23
I recently bought a box of these:http://www.nabiscoworld.com/Brands/ProductInformation.aspx?BrandKey=premium&Site=1&Product=4400001777
Perfect size, not very crumbly, and I think they have a better taste than the full size cracker. For the plain ol' cracker, these are my favorite.

jay590
07-10-2008, 02:53
vitawheats. not sure if you can get them in america though. this is what i take hiking and a coule might break in half if you squash them heaps but otherwise they dont break up i find.

ki0eh
07-10-2008, 09:02
MRE Crackers are the best. 1 serving of MRE crackers with one serving of MRE peanut butter is 425 calories. Yum.

I've had those many times and due to the relative infrequency of my backcountry trips :( I don't run out. I'm partial to the cheese sauce with jalapenos - the packet stuff in general seems to be getting better with time. (Except when strawberry jelly comes out - I'm allergic...)

The trouble I've had with MRE crackers is not the crispness (maybe once had a problem in 20 years due to the packaging) but that I seem to be pretty good at making a mess of both me and the surroundings when I eat them. Also you then have all that packaging to both carry in and carry out.

I would imagine the cost would be prohibitive on a long section or a thru. I like the little Pringles can idea - I remember reusing one of those for a while that I got in a trail conference packed lunch somewhere.

AK Jeff
08-30-2008, 03:42
Here in Alaska we have something called pilot bread its a big round unsalted cracker that is very durable.All the natives eat them regularly and take them when they travel. They are about the size of a piece of bread so you can really pile the food on.

Blue Jay
08-30-2008, 08:50
I'm very disappointed in the thread. Not once has it evolved into "your crackers suck......No,:mad: your crackers suck".

borntobeoutdoors
08-30-2008, 15:02
vitawheats. not sure if you can get them in america though. this is what i take hiking and a coule might break in half if you squash them heaps but otherwise they dont break up i find.

If they're flavored anything like vVgamite, count me out. You Ozites have some weird taste buds.

borntobeoutdoors
08-30-2008, 15:04

peace
mf

Another vote for the Wasas, any type.
Never seem to go stale or lose crispness

Elger
08-30-2008, 18:46
Hardtack. It's where pilot crackers came from. US gov't issue for War Between the States and Span Am war. Crush proof. Serves as a backup weapon. Will crack a skull from 10 yards if thrown with enough velocity.

About three inches by three inches and half inch thick.

AK Jeff
08-31-2008, 03:42
Interesting link to read about pilot bread in Alaska. http://tundratantrum.blogspot.com/2007/11/sailor-boy.html

Elger
08-31-2008, 17:06
Yup. Hardtack.

Very versatile and tasty. And very easy to make at home. The trick is to bake it slowly at a low temp. About 250. The idea is to get all the moisture out. Start with a thick dough. Do not store in zip lock. Let it breathe. It is NOT going to mold. No moisture. I had a piece of hardtack in my garage for 3 years. Then I ate it. Boring, but will keep you going and is indestructible. Hardtack that is, not pilot bread. Pilot bread will break up if handled roughly, not hardtack though.

AK Jeff
09-01-2008, 20:39
"Pilot bread will break up if handled roughly, not hardtack though." Pilot bread is still more durable than any cracker that I know of, and I don't have to bother baking anything.