PDA

View Full Version : Nice to see Mainers on here

Desert Lobster
02-06-2004, 12:53
I have noticed Litchfield and Phippsburg mentioned. How many Mainers do we have on here? I am a native Mainer and now live in East Blue Hill and Machias in the summer and southern California in the winter.

TJ aka Teej
02-06-2004, 18:18
I have noticed Litchfield and Phippsburg mentioned. How many Mainers do we have on here? I am a native Mainer and now live in East Blue Hill and Machias in the summer and southern California in the winter.
I was born in Biddeford, and raised in Kennebunk. (KHS '74) I live on the NH/MA border now, but we still spend all summer in Old Orchard.

mdionne
02-06-2004, 18:40
born in bath. living in winslow now. GA>ME 02. whens the club gonna start? :clap

weary
02-06-2004, 21:41
born in bath.

As was I. Well actually Brunswick. My Mom's doc was feuding with the Bath hospital. But Bath is where I grew up and where I get a copy of my birth certificate, which my wife insisted on, when I walked home from Georgia in '93.

Weary

attroll
02-07-2004, 01:16
I was born and raised in Brunswick. After high school I joined the Navy and retired in 1998 and move to Litchfield.

Maybe we should get together. That could be fun. Early summer would be great for me.

weary
02-07-2004, 09:53
I was born and raised in Brunswick. After high school I joined the Navy and retired in 1998 and move to Litchfield.

Maybe we should get together. That could be fun. Early summer would be great for me.

Our Phippsburg Land Trust has some of the nicest trails in this part of Maine. None are terribly long, but our 253 acre Center Pond Preserve has a 4.8-mile Perimeter trail, through woods, up and down hills, over granite ledges, along the shore of a pretty pond, and through some nice groves of tall pines and hemlock.

We could get together some afternoon and take a walk. I love to show our trails to people who enjoy walking. We have managed to protect some 700 acres in one small coastal town, mostly since I returned from the trail in 1993.

Weary

Mr. Clean
02-07-2004, 10:27
I grew up in Virginia but have been back to the family "estate" in Kennebunk for around 22 years now. Glad to be here and hope to never have to leave.

Desert Lobster
02-07-2004, 13:04
I grew up in Virginia but have been back to the family "estate" in Kennebunk for around 22 years now. Glad to be here and hope to never have to leave.

Do you ever invite the Bush family over for social gatherings at your "estate"?

Doc
02-07-2004, 13:27
Now live in Sidney, but this time of the year I begin thinking of being anywhere else if it's warm. Called Damascus the other day and it was actually 5 degrees colder there than in central Maine.

Doc

WalkinHome
02-07-2004, 15:07
Born in Lewiston, raised all over (Navy brat) but Maine has ALWAYS been (and always will be) home.

Mr. Clean
02-08-2004, 08:49
Actually, we see 41 (the first Bushs) around quite a bit, but never have seen the current Pres. The older Bushs are pretty funny folk from the stories I've heard, but personally I've only seen them around in boats, the motorcade, the Town wharf, etc.

attroll
02-08-2004, 12:40
Our Phippsburg Land Trust has some of the nicest trails in this part of Maine. None are terribly long, but our 253 acre Center Pond Preserve has a 4.8-mile Perimeter trail, through woods, up and down hills, over granite ledges, along the shore of a pretty pond, and through some nice groves of tall pines and hemlock.

We could get together some afternoon and take a walk. I love to show our trails to people who enjoy walking. We have managed to protect some 700 acres in one small coastal town, mostly since I returned from the trail in 1993.

Weary
That sounds like a nice idea Weary. Is there a spot for overnight camping in the preserve? It would be great to have all the Mainers get togther and do a hike and have some fun and do an overnighter. Well that is my though on it.

weary
02-08-2004, 14:10
That sounds like a nice idea Weary. Is there a spot for overnight camping in the preserve? It would be great to have all the Mainers get togther and do a hike and have some fun and do an overnighter. Well that is my though on it.

I think it works best as an afternoon get together. Our preserves are too small for good overnights, plus we would have to get special permission from the Land Trust.

Our longest trail takes a couple of hours, maybe three, depending how much time we take to explore and talk about how it was all accomplished.

Phippsburg is pretty central -- about an hour from Sidney, an hour and a half maybe from Kennebunkport. Blue Hill is the longest distance away among the towns I remember being mentioned, probably 2 hours or a bit more.

Weary

Weary

TJ aka Teej
02-08-2004, 21:57
Maybe we should get together. That could be fun. Early summer would be great for me.How about Spring? Trail Days North at Katahdin Stream Campground on May 15th! I've been going that weekend for several years, it's pre-blackfies, the woods are full of trilliums and birds, the campgrounds are less than half full, moose calfs and bulls in velvet are in the ponds, and early MEGAs are there with their shiny faces and gear. A really nice time to be in Baxter.

attroll
02-08-2004, 22:17
How about Spring? Trail Days North at Katahdin Stream Campground on May 15th! I've been going that weekend for several years, it's pre-blackfies, the woods are full of trilliums and birds, the campgrounds are less than half full, moose calfs and bulls in velvet are in the ponds, and early MEGAs are there with their shiny faces and gear. A really nice time to be in Baxter.
That is a heck of a good idea TJ. But don't we need reservation for that campground? Like you said it is also the same weekend as trail days. I was going to try and go to traildays. Hmm. Now the choices, choices.

TJ aka Teej
02-08-2004, 23:20
That is a heck of a good idea TJ. But don't we need reservation for that campground? Like you said it is also the same weekend as trail days. I was going to try and go to traildays. Hmm. Now the choices, choices.Reservations required, but Mainers get priority over people from away thru mailorder. The 15th is a Saturday this year (the overnight camping season always starts on May 15th where ever it falls in the week) but Katahdin Stream is seldom sold out that early in May.
I'm heading up to the Park in a week or so to make October 14th and 15th reservations, I usually stay in May, August and October. August is aways nice, meteor showers, northern lights, GAMErs, and the bugs are gone. This year August 13th is the 200th anniversary of the first climb by Europeans, and I thought it'd be interesting to see the sunrise from the Tableland that day.