PDA

View Full Version : Moving threads

Locutus
05-07-2008, 16:24
The gas prices thread and the dog liability thread have been moved to a forum that I do not have access to.... why?

SGT Rock
05-07-2008, 16:27
Some groups you have to be members in to read the threads.

Is that what you were asking?

Locutus
05-07-2008, 16:29
Well, I am wondering why active threads in a public area would be moved to an area that only a few people have access to. Seems pointless to me, might as well delete the thread. Otherwise, I might have people reply to my posts and I will not know or be able to respond.

Cuffs
05-07-2008, 16:32
All people have access to it, you just have to subscribe.

SGT Rock
05-07-2008, 16:32
Well, I am wondering why active threads in a public area would be moved to an area that only a few people have access to. Seems pointless to me, might as well delete the thread. Otherwise, I might have people reply to my posts and I will not know or be able to respond.
This system developed over a few years. Some of these topics, or rather the points that get brought up in them have turned quite a few people off to WhiteBlaze. So we instituted a policy where people that want to discuss these sorts of topics still can without turning off people that don't want to see the top 10 threads on whiteblaze be about politics, dogs, guns, etc. So...

The threads were not deleted. People can still talk about them that want to talk about them. You just have to join the right groups for them. Deleting them would kill all discussion and we generally try to avoid that. If you want to be able to respond to people in that thread just join that gourp.

Our goal is to help new hikers with the trail, or old hikers get better at hiking, or any number of things. Neither of these topics contribute to that so they are off the main board.

Locutus
05-07-2008, 16:34
That makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

Cuffs
05-07-2008, 16:36
I think Rock cleared it up best, but I just wanted to add that the "General" forum is still for hiking related chatter. The dog issue was not related to hiking therefore it was removed to a more proper location (subscription.)

SGT Rock
05-07-2008, 16:37
No problem. I hope you didn't feel I was being rude or anything. Just enforcing policy, and it is one I sometimes wish we didn't have to have - we just sort of evolved into it.