PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah

SkunkleberryFinn
02-06-2004, 13:28
I loooove this park. Although the trails are nothing extreme or exotic.. the wildlife is something else. I have never seen more deers in one week in my life!

I didnt see any bears though - but i know there out there :)

What your your guy's (and gal's ((hey hammock hanger)) ) opinions on the Shenandoah?

-Skunkleberry Finn

max patch
02-06-2004, 13:54
Since you asked...

Hated it. Too many people and too many rules. Lot of deer; also, unfortunately, a lot of ticks. It wasn't the worst part of the trail - that distinction goes to the GSMNP which has even more rules.

someday
02-06-2004, 14:01
In 2000 we met my son there on his thruhike. He took a few days off to camp with us and took us on one of my first backpacks on a side trail. We did the White Oak Trail that a ranger suggested a way to make a loop out of. It was pretty extreme for me coming from flatland Chicago area. About 4 miles all uphill, but well worth it - 7 waterfalls if I remember right plus the mountain laurel was in bloom so it was like walking through a wonderland. I groaned alot on the uphill, but felt better when several dayhiking women said they couldn't believe I was backpacking. Unfit, fat and over 50, but oh the places I've been! Saw 2 bears, both times from the safety of my car, which is how i prefer to see them. Solo camped 2 nights while my husband and son did 50 miles of the AT and stayed awake most of one night because something was rustling around at my campsite. Was glad to see the next morning it was a deer with her 2 fawns - they just bedded down and shared my site. Thanks for bringing back all these memories.

Blue Jay
02-06-2004, 14:05
After the Grayson Highlands and Franconia, it my third favorite part of the Trail. Love the Waysides, the Wild ones, Equineblazing, the Tourists eager to be Yogied. I keep threatening to move there, but am too Yankified.

Kozmic Zian
03-01-2004, 18:12
Yea.....SNP wildlife. Yea, Shuckleberry, I hate to be a party pooper, but when it comes to deer in the SNP, the main reason you see so many is because they're all yogiing for a hand out. Did you ever notice the deer in SNP and SMNP seem to get really close and look at you with that 'stare', turning their heads sideways. Well, if they could speak, they'd probably be saying, ' Hey man, shut up the bull s*** and give me some of that gorp you got in that backpack!'....KZ@

p.s. People been feedin' um handouts for so many years, its in their genes!

Blue Jay
03-02-2004, 09:02
Koz, this time you are correct. You described the exact same look that government employees give you.

Kozmic Zian
03-02-2004, 09:53
Yea.....You're Tellin' Me! I live in NVA, in the middle of it!