PDA

View Full Version : Thru Hiking w/ 15 y/o daughter

RollingStone
05-07-2008, 23:42
My daughter has been accompanying me for past 2 1/2 years and is now gung ho on wanting to thru hike the AT next year. It's been on my list for awhile but had never intended doing it until she got into college. I home school her so schooling isn't an issue as I can create or incorporate something into the hike to credit her for class time.

My question is this: Has anyone out there thru-hiked with their teenager before?

She is relatively experienced and has followed me on 25 mile days without issue or complaint. I worry most about her feet because at age 15 (by the time she hikes) they simply are not as calloused as an adults may be.

Should I make her wait or let her stay gung ho and start planning this fall?

What ya'll think?

Bulldawg
05-07-2008, 23:45
I've read of a younger child than her doing it. I think it would be great if she can handle it.

Captain
05-08-2008, 03:46
let her be gung ho about it could be a real opportunity to grow up, not calling her immature but ill trust that you get what im saying pretty soon after you start i assume it will change in her mind from " im going thru hiking with my dad" to " im thru hiking and my dad is with me" besides you know its all about mental preparedness just do her a favor and dont try to sugar coat a single thing , if shes up to it shell do it just fine

Matteroo
05-08-2008, 04:32
yeah i wouldn't sugar coat a thing - but if she is reved up mentally for it then that is a major aspect of this. How long has the idea been brewing for her-a few months? a year? more? I think (and with plenty of exceptions) that can play a strong role too.

maybe go to the general practitioner to get any advice for her - but youth bodies, while not fully developed, are quick healers and have boundless energy - there are upsides. The foot callous thing doesn't seem like an issue to me - break in footwear before hand and you're fine. I'm 26 and I don't have any callouses on my feet-and I only got very light, slight callouses on my big toes after 1,550 miles. otherwise my feet looked identical from start to finish.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-08-2008, 06:04
I suggest you contact Blissful (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=6008) on this site - she thru-hiked with her 16 yo son, Paul Bunyan (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=7811), last year.
Blissful's Trail Journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=1416)
Paul Bunyan's trail journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5097)

Marta
05-08-2008, 06:21
When I was 15 I would have been all over that plan, too. It has the potential to be a fantastic experience for both of you.

Ditto Dino's advice above. Blissful and PB will have a lot of information and insights for you.

Peaks
05-08-2008, 06:26
You didn't say anything about her backpacking experience. I might suggest some 3 or 4 day trips first to see how things go before commiting to 5 months

glacier48
05-08-2008, 14:07
Sounds like a once in a lifetime chance to bond with a teenager. The trip no matter how long or short will build confidence and self esteem in her. I wish I could have gone with my Dad. She can always go home if needed, but she just might surprise you. Take her-it would be awesome.

Glacier

Blissful
05-08-2008, 14:14
Yep we did, Paul Bunyan and I. (mother and son) My son was 16, turned 17 in Maine. He was home schooled.

Check out our trail journal (http://trailjournals.com/blissful)for our adventure.

And feet get calloused as you use them. Everyone is tenderfoot starting out. But you can cut down on problems by watching the weight you carry and wearing trail runners.

Definitely do it if you can. An adventure of a lifetime for the both of you.

Phreak
05-08-2008, 14:17
My daughter has been accompanying me for past 2 1/2 years and is now gung ho on wanting to thru hike the AT next year. It's been on my list for awhile but had never intended doing it until she got into college. I home school her so schooling isn't an issue as I can create or incorporate something into the hike to credit her for class time.

My question is this: Has anyone out there thru-hiked with their teenager before?

She is relatively experienced and has followed me on 25 mile days without issue or complaint. I worry most about her feet because at age 15 (by the time she hikes) they simply are not as calloused as an adults may be.

Should I make her wait or let her stay gung ho and start planning this fall?

What ya'll think?

Go for it!

skinny minnie
05-08-2008, 15:38
I think she is incredibly lucky! Do it, sounds like a great opportunity. If she can handle 25 mile days then she seems good to go. Why wait?

RollingStone
05-08-2008, 16:01
I didn't expect that many responses :)

Bulldawg - On the ATC site the youngest male to do it was 6 years old in 200o and youngest female was 8 y/o in 2002.

Captain - I hear you. Her first "growing up" experience was when we did the 100 mile wilderness in Maine. Went in 100, re-supplied, came back 100. She did good. Sugar coating isn't my style. She learned things the hard way on her first long hike which was 125 miles at age 12 1/2. To the dismay of her mother, I didn't give her any slack on that trip. When she was done though, she was all about telling everyone with authority how she learned this and that! Heh.

Matteroo - Been brewing since last year. Has come to the surface more in the past few months because she is homesick. We moved to Montana from New England.

Peaks - She has been up and down the AT from VT to ME. LT as well. She's pretty familiar with trail life and what it takes for extended hikes. Just not for 4-5 months.

Glacier - We're pretty tight as it is. We have had great experiences on our hikes before so I'll agree that it would be once in a lifetime. I think things tend to impress you more when you're a teenager and I'm hoping this will help mold who she is to become as an adult.

Blissful - Thanks! Will spend some time with your journals.

I think in the end my biggest fear really is I'll be the one to not make it as opposed to her. And of course convincing her mother it will be ok while we're gone for 4+ months is another thing too! :)

Thanks again folks.

Peaks
05-08-2008, 16:17
OK, if she is familiar with trail life, then go for it. It will be a great parent-daughter experience.

gsingjane
05-08-2008, 17:10
You did not mention what ambitions your daughter has for her post-high school years. As someone who is sending a previously homeschooled son off to college this year, I will tell you honestly that the college admissions game is tough, tough, tough. As wonderful as thru-hiking will be, it doesn't substitute for AP classes or doing well on the SAT's. Despite what people say about time on the trail being better or more engaging or somehow more educational than time spent in school, your daughter will not, actually, come out of it a better writer or well-versed in trig or ready to test into Honors Chemistry. She'll finish the experience with a different kind of education, which certainly may be worth a year of her time, but it won't improve her academics.

Now it may be that part of thru-hiking for your daughter will be figuring out what she wants to do in life. In that case, it will be time very well spent. But, I would not, myself, plan on just giving credit for the time spent hiking; I'd rather be straightforward about the whole thing and just plan on making up the academic work when we got back. You may well find that she is even more responsible and mature and disciplined, and that the homeschooling will be even easier and more fulfilling than it is now.

Jane in CT

walkin' wally
05-08-2008, 17:53
This may be a little off center but there is a book about a family that thru hiked the AT. It is called Walking North by Mick Lowther. The girl is 10 years old not 15 but there are some stories of family interactions in such a situation.

vonfrick
05-08-2008, 18:10
well i'm just jealous. i wish i could get my daughter to go with me. wanted to do europe last year with her before she went to college and the hometown friends and boyfriend won out...so i did the Long Trail, alone. missed her every minute. i hope someday she sees truly what i'm about and that somehow that meshes with what she's about.

bfitz
05-08-2008, 21:55
If a ten year old can do it, she can do it. At 15 you'll be lucky if you can keep up with her.

RollingStone
05-09-2008, 00:19
Jane - My daughter is currently doing a combination of Sophomore and Junior level work both at home and with a few classes at the local high school. She is 14 (15 in September) and technically a "freshman" yet is not doing any freshman level work. I'm not worried about her not being to place into school or being prepared for college. I appreciate the comments though.

RollingStone
05-09-2008, 00:38
well i'm just jealous. i wish i could get my daughter to go with me. wanted to do europe last year with her before she went to college and the hometown friends and boyfriend won out...so i did the Long Trail, alone. missed her every minute. i hope someday she sees truly what i'm about and that somehow that meshes with what she's about.

I think sometimes they just have to find their own way. At 18 they are more worried about them than you! :) I think a lot of my own kids' ambition is derived from the fact she wants to be field biologist. Just as the rest of us do, she takes on a different attitude when in the wilderness. It got stepped up a notch when we moved to MT. The back country here requires a different respect and some different skill sets than back home. Although the same can be said for the White Mountains which she has been up and down on many occasions. Someday she may see the same appeal you do about getting out and hiking but I think a lot of times with the younger generation, if the wilderness doesn't become a part of them while they are forming their teen years, the appeal will pass them by until they are adults.

Pennsylvania Rose
05-09-2008, 09:37
Go for it!!! Your daughter has more backpacking experience than many folks who attempt a thru.

My 15 yo daughter and 16 yo son started talking about a thru a couple of years ago. We're planning on doing it together in 2 more years, not because they're not ready now, but because I have other kids I'm not willing to leave behind at such a young age.

gsjane - you've mentioned a couple of times about the competitiveness of getting into college. While this is true for some schools, you can get a great education at state schools, many of which accept all comers with minimum ACT/SAT scores (I even know a doctor, a lawyer, and other professionals who went to community college for a couple of years, then transferred to university). It's more economical, too, and probably the route my kids will take. Now, that doesn't excuse a kid from learning how to write a research paper or algebra 2 or American history; and 99% of colleges won't care if you hiked the AT unless you can write a killer essay about how you matured doing it; but truthfully it's easy to find a college to get into...paying for it without going into debt is the hard part. The coolest thing about homeschooling is that we (I mean that collectively for all homeschoolers) have found out how quickly and easily the average kid can "cover" a typical pre-college curriculum when there are no classroom distractions, leaving lots of time for in-depth, innovative learning.

RollingStone
05-09-2008, 17:27
Rose that was a great response. I took her to a tour of Dartmouth and we had time to talk to an admissions rep about homeschoolers. They were very positive and as a school were very interested in home schooled kids. Montana State University has a great Wildlife Management and Biology program (how could they not so close to Yellowstone) and a great attitude for home schoolers as well. Both schools have told me that the key is the documentation and portfolio along with test scores of course. So we have paid extra attention to how we document her work and keep almost all of her work for now for her future portfolio. I think she'll be just fine getting into school somewhere.

In 86 I attempted a thru hike at 18. LOL... if you can call it that back then. I didn't pack again with any seriousness until internal frame packs got more popular. I was a bit of a wild child at 18 and my experiences on the trail were judged by how much of the "good herb" I smoked along the way. ;)

I am hopeful that if we can get this planned out and make an attempt, that the experience she has will be far more profound than the lunacy I attempted 22 years ago. We at least are discussing now the possibility of finding a local charity organization out here we can work with so that she can ask for donations from third parties for "mile pledges". Several businesses have been enthused about her idea and are willing to sponsor her since it would be for a local charity. I think overall it is going to be a huge planning effort that will probably leave me more stressed than her :)

jesse
05-09-2008, 17:45
will the pledged money go 100% to charity, or do you plan on financing the hike with donations?

Marta
05-09-2008, 21:42
My formerly homeschooled daughter is standing right here beside me putting in her two cents. She thinks that taking six months to hike will not impair college preparation in the slightest. A major insight of the homeschooling movement is that it only takes an hour or two to accomplish a week's worth of high school academic work.

BTW, she was the first homeschooled student admitted to our local state college, based on ACT and GED scores. She was 16, and had spent most of her youth messing around with horses. She is now working on her PhD in Russian Literature.

I concur with PA Rose that 1) a determined youth will find a college to accept them and 2) pursuing one's passion (be it horses or hiking) is the best use of a young person's time and energy.

Blissful
05-09-2008, 22:48
My formerly homeschooled daughter is standing right here beside me putting in her two cents. She thinks that taking six months to hike will not impair college preparation in the slightest. A major insight of the homeschooling movement is that it only takes an hour or two to accomplish a week's worth of high school academic work.

BTW, she was the first homeschooled student admitted to our local state college, based on ACT and GED scores. She was 16, and had spent most of her youth messing around with horses. She is now working on her PhD in Russian Literature.

I concur with PA Rose that 1) a determined youth will find a college to accept them and 2) pursuing one's passion (be it horses or hiking) is the best use of a young person's time and energy.

It also depends on the child and their motivation. My son, Paul Bunyan, had a tough time readjusting to college life after our hike last year, so this past semester at community college wasn't a good one for him. He liked the freedom of the trail, I guess. But then again, he got his license and a new laptop so that didn't help either.

Tomorrow he officially graduates from high school (we are having a ceremony and reception. Many of the relatives are here for it). He will be working at a summer camp this summer. Then we'll see what happens for the fall.

Marta
05-10-2008, 04:54
It also depends on the child and their motivation. My son, Paul Bunyan, had a tough time readjusting to college life after our hike last year, so this past semester at community college wasn't a good one for him. He liked the freedom of the trail, I guess. But then again, he got his license and a new laptop so that didn't help either.

Tomorrow he officially graduates from high school (we are having a ceremony and reception. Many of the relatives are here for it). He will be working at a summer camp this summer. Then we'll see what happens for the fall.

I agree that it completely depends on the child and their motivation. And that can only come from within themselves, much as we parents would like to be able to direct them.

Congrats to PB!

BTW, my youngest is graduating from college today. My husband and I have always told our kids that college is not at all compulsory and that working and being self-supporting is a more-than-acceptable option for any kid who doesn't want to maintain a full course load and excellent grades. (I know a construction company that always needs people who have full use of their limbs and backs.) Strangely, we now have a perfect record of college graduates, with honors. Doggone kids.:rolleyes:

RollingStone
05-10-2008, 09:50
will the pledged money go 100% to charity, or do you plan on financing the hike with donations?

Uumm... I wouldn't even dream of being that kind of person. Of course it would go to charity. It would be based on how many miles we complete. Like a walk a thon.

Tinker
05-10-2008, 09:56
If she gets tired of the hike for any reason, she can quit, right?

Whether or not that happens, this could be a bonding experience that might be the memory of a lifetime for both of you.

Take her along.

RollingStone
05-10-2008, 10:08
She thinks that taking six months to hike

If we do this we're going with the goal of between 4 and 5 months. 4 months will take an average of 18 miles per day. 5 months is 14.5.

Only plan on hitting a hostel once a week to clean up and if we do a zero day, will try to do it in the woods to minimize the distraction and keep going. I think we'll be able to do good time up until the Whites. We have plenty of experience in the Whites so it wont be a shock to us when we get there.

Of course I am basing this on what she has been able to accomplish in the past. She may get out there now and be totally different. Regardless, we have to start March 1 and be done August 1 whether we make it to Maine or not. That is something I have already set in stone with her.

I also think it will be completely feasible for us based on past experience. We know what to take and not take for gear and all of our stuff is lightweight with the exception of our Osprey packs which neither of us is willing to give up :) They are too comfortable.

RollingStone
05-10-2008, 10:11
If she gets tired of the hike for any reason, she can quit, right?

Whether or not that happens, this could be a bonding experience that might be the memory of a lifetime for both of you.

Take her along.

Absolutely. Same goes for me. We have had that discussion and agreed to that principle in kind. I couldn't imagine trying to continue to drag her along if she didn't want to do it anymore. She would end up hating me and the trail :)

Captain
05-10-2008, 15:16
actualy i dont see the trouble if the trip is financed by donations, as long as it didnt get extravagant and self indulgent and the charity walked away with the upper 96% of the donations i believe thats what the make a wish foundation ( i dotn know about others) sends directly back out the door to the children in need using only 4 % for fundraising full time staff and other costs..seems reasonable to me becuase we want these people to work round the clock doing this charity work well they need to be paid for it

Doctari
05-10-2008, 19:04
I met a father / daughter team at the Vandeventer shelter this year, she looked about 10 - 12, could have been younger, they were going SOBO & had hiked from Harpers Ferry (didn't get the date of start). They had done a 10 mile so far that day, & were pressing on at least another 5, she was ready to hit the trail just as soon as dinner was done, didn't even seem tired. Dad says that as soon as they get to Springer, they are heading north to finish the thru. I (stupidly) didn't ask if "North" ment back to Harpers to continue NOBO or to Big K to continue SOBO. Her face lit up & she said "YEA!!!" when he said that. Sounds like she was having fun to me :)

So, I say go for it, let her set the pace & you wach for injuries & stuff.

Turtle (17 YO female) is hiking a thru with dad Sparticus, is doing very good last I heard. I heard they were north of Atkins when I left there Thrs AM.

sylvan
05-12-2008, 21:26
I was 17 when I completed my thruhike and experienced no major health issues during the course of the hike. Rather, I found that I was noticeably more resilient than hikers even 5-10 years older.

I did have an issue with weight loss at the beginning of the hike. I was already skinny back then (150lbs, 5'10"), but lost about 30 pounds in the first 200 miles. I began putting TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) in all of my dinners and eventually gained about 20 of the pounds back in muscle mass.

Regarding foot problems, that will simply have to do with the shoe. Once I found shoes that worked for me (NB 803s, ahh, the good ol' days), I had problems when I insisted on walking in the rain for 20 or more miles per day.

Bear Bag 2000
05-12-2008, 22:16
I'm an ER doctor, marathoner, Thru-hiker, and parent; but not a home schooler. She and you know plenty enough about hiking to do it now. Go out much slower than you have hinted and there won't be any medical issues. I don't know how socialized she is, but by the end she will be a social butterfly. I'm not much on the trail being a life altering event, but in a fifteen year old it might be. She'll be ready for that, but will her Dad be ready? Be sure she can handle the cyclical feminine issues. If she wants to go now, take her. In the next year or two she won't want to go, and in three or more years she won't want to go with YOU! Keep a journal.

Appalachian Tater
05-12-2008, 22:17
I'm an ER doctor, marathoner, Thru-hiker, and parent; but not a home schooler. She and you know plenty enough about hiking to do it now. Go out much slower than you have hinted and there won't be any medical issues. I don't know how socialized she is, but by the end she will be a social butterfly. I'm not much on the trail being a life altering event, but in a fifteen year old it might be. She'll be ready for that, but will her Dad be ready? Be sure she can handle the cyclical feminine issues. If she wants to go now, take her. In the next year or two she won't want to go, and in three or more years she won't want to go with YOU! Keep a journal.What he said.

Consider using hammocks so you can bear-bag your daughter to keep her out of the hands of dirty half-bearded young men.

Blissful
05-12-2008, 22:35
If we do this we're going with the goal of between 4 and 5 months. 4 months will take an average of 18 miles per day. 5 months is 14.5.

Only plan on hitting a hostel once a week to clean up and if we do a zero day, will try to do it in the woods to minimize the distraction and keep going.

Boy that's really tough to do. Is she really the kind of gal that wants to hike, hike hike and not take time in town to be with others or to get clean? Might want to rethink that. I mean you are doing this day after day, week after week. You're gonna want to take time in town on your fourth day of rain and mud up to your thighs and temp is dipping to twenty with sleet. And why is a zero in town a distraction? It's good to take a break from the trail. Believe me , you will need it and want it psychologically. You get too goal oriented, the enjoyment of being on the trail goes out the window (which is why I want to go back and do it again, to see what I missed). And you find out quickly too that your self made goals also go out the window (I've been there). I found that our times in town were actually some of the highlights of trail life. And Paul Bunyan loved it.

Doing the trail in 4-5 months with a teen is really tough. I mean five is possible. But four, well, I wouldn't push like that. The trail is tough. No experience can really get you ready for it than doing the trail itself. And it is not easy. And lots of hikers deal with injuries - having blister, ankle, and knee issues, etc. And maybe it won't be her that has the problems either. (lots of guys get injured). My son had several knee injuries from falls. And I hurt myself twice and had to get off for three weeks. Plus we got off for a few days when the temps hit 90 plus degrees with high humidity and swarms of mosquitoes in Mass. Things to think about.

Hooch
05-13-2008, 06:33
I say knock it out and have the experience and time of your lives. In 2005, Anchor and Troll thru-hiked with their then 10 year old son, Oblivious (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3002), after Anchor's retirement from the Navy. Best wishes to you both for a successful thru!

LIhikers
05-13-2008, 06:49
Hike together, there's no way to replace the time or experiences you'll have together. It'll give each of you the opportunity to get out of your usual role as parent/child and to get to see each other as real people. My sons and I did some bicycle camping trips when they were in their teens and we still talk about it today, 15 years later.

minnesotasmith
05-13-2008, 08:47
Send for a free report, "Never Pay Retail for a College Education." Order it by sending an e-mail to: [email protected] ([email protected])

Other, related articles on getting good value from pursuing a college degree (or how to avoid the need for one):

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north8.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north164.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north303.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north414.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north427.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north460.html

http://www.lewrockwell.com/north/north524.html

Bare Bear
05-29-2008, 22:32
It is an adventure you will botht cherish. Go for it. AT THRU HIKE looks great on a resume.

Home Fires
06-21-2008, 19:25
We're pretty tight as it is. We have had great experiences on our hikes before so I'll agree that it would be once in a lifetime. I think things tend to impress you more when you're a teenager and I'm hoping this will help mold who she is to become as an adult.
My daughter's best friend (16) returns tomorrow from a pilgrimage in Spain with her dad. Although their 250 miles is certainly not the magnitude of a thru-hike, his reasons for wanting to do this with her were very similar to what I've seen you post here. They blogged during the planning and many days of their trip, and you might enjoy some of her entires, especially this one from May: http://savini-santiago.blogspot.com/2008/05/ocd.html"]All I Can Think About is You ( [URL="http://savini-santiago.blogspot.com/2008/05/ocd.html)[/URL]

Home Fires
06-21-2008, 19:28
Well, sugar, so sorry ... messed up that tag and can't edit. Here is the link:

http://savini-santiago.blogspot.com/2008/05/ocd.html
(http://savini-santiago.blogspot.com/2008/05/ocd.html)