PDA

View Full Version : Parking the car for six months

naturejunkie
05-08-2008, 08:32
Hello all, I am trying to figure out what to do with my car during my SOBO thru attempt this year. I thought I would be able to leave it at a family member's house, but that has fallen through. I may still be able to find another family member or friend who will allow me to park my car on their property for six months. But, I was curious what others may have done or what other options exist, short of paying a fortune for car storage? Thanks!

max patch
05-08-2008, 08:48
It would be best if you can find a friend or family member somewhere who will babysit your car for you.

An alternative would be to park your car at Amicalola State Park. Its permitted. Of course you would have a major hassle if for some reason you don't finish your hike.

Mrs Baggins
05-08-2008, 09:05
Hello all, I am trying to figure out what to do with my car during my SOBO thru attempt this year. I thought I would be able to leave it at a family member's house, but that has fallen through. I may still be able to find another family member or friend who will allow me to park my car on their property for six months. But, I was curious what others may have done or what other options exist, short of paying a fortune for car storage? Thanks!

We left our van with our son but I did talk to a mini-storage facility as well. They would have stored it outdoors for us for $30/month or indoors in a unit that was just large enough to accommodate it for about $110/month. If we had stored it we still would have arranged for someone to go start it up now and then. There is the cost to consider but then again, you'll know exactly where your vehicle is at all times and not have to worry about a "car sitter" changing their plans or deciding to move or whatever.

rhjanes
05-08-2008, 09:21
sell it. but if you really want to store it, then you need to take some steps. Just having someone "start it once in a while" will do more harm than good. Clean it out really well. Change the fluids, oil at least. Get a small trickle battery charger. Park the car. Check that the tires are about 4 pounds over inflated (36 if they are supposed to be 32). Spare included. Crack the windows about 1/4 inch each. Disconnect the battery and put it on the trickle charger (in the car is fine). A cloth car cover is a great investment.
If you have someone you REALLY trust to start it up. What they need to do is start it and DRIVE it. Like take it out to the grocery store twice a month. The car and fluids all need to reach operating temperature to do any good. That means driving it to circulate fluids in transmission, axles, gears, even shock absorbers and struts. That means, 20 minutes of use, at least once a month.

deeddawg
05-08-2008, 11:00
Digging back into my experience putting up motorcycles for the winter when I lived in the Rust Belt, two additions that may or may not be applicable to current automobiles:

If possible consider putting the car up on blocks so the tires aren't touching the ground. Avoids the possibility of the tires developing flat spots. rhjanes' overinflation is meant to accomplish the same thing, so you may be fine with either option.

Make sure you add a fuel stabilizer and fill up the gas tank completely. Stabilizer helps keep the fuel from gumming up fuel injectors and stuff, and filling the tank all the way reduces the contamination of the fuel by condensation inside the fuel tank.

fiddlehead
05-08-2008, 11:38
I live in Thaila.nd 9-10 months of the year and always park my car for the other months.
I disconnect the battery and close the doors. That is all i do. After reconnecting the battery, the car almost always starts right up and i drive it away.

Once i had a problem with mice in my muffler. My mechanic suggested putting steel wool or mesh in the exhaust pipe. I did it one year but forgot ever since.

My tires have always been ok although i usually go check them and sometimes they need a little air. I really don't see why all of these people worry about so much.

If you really need a place to park it, pm me, i know of some trailheads where people have left cars for 4-5 months. Probably best not to post them on a public forum.

glacier48
05-08-2008, 15:18
Are you talking about leaving your car at home or here at the north end of the trail?

Glacier

rhjanes
05-08-2008, 17:08
Fuel stabilizer, great idea. I forget that. I run that in my two antiques. You don't just add it to the tank. Add it, fill up. Drive for those last 20 miles. That way, the stalilizer is worked all thru the fuel system

naturejunkie
05-08-2008, 18:42
Are you talking about leaving your car at home or here at the north end of the trail?

Glacier

Wherever I can know it is relatively safe and don't have to worry about it. I don't think I'd be to hip on leaving it at a trailhead. I may just go ahead and sell it and avoid the headache.

max patch
05-08-2008, 18:53
It will be safe at ASP. $3 parking fee.

Cookerhiker
05-08-2008, 19:17
One possibility is leaving it at the AMC Pinkham Notch lot. I left mine there for a month when I hiked from there to Katahdin. The AMC staff said it was fine and didn't even want my license no. or description. But for 5-6 months, you should ask them.

This way, it's close to your starting point and Pinkham Notch is accessible via public transportation (bus from Boston) to pick it up. And as others have said, you can disconnect the battery.

Bare Bear
05-15-2008, 18:55
If you sell it then you save storage, worrying about it, and the insurance costs for six months. It also motivates you to keep going because you have to go buy another one when you finish.

Bob S
05-15-2008, 21:27
Buy a solar panel charger (Harbor Tools $15.00) and plug it into the cigarette lighter and put it in the window. This will keep the battery topped off.

My parents go to Florida every year for 4 ½ months, this is all they do to the car. they don’t disconnect the battery or anything. They have been doing this for 10-years and the car works great when they get back.

Why complicate something that doesn’t need to by over inflating the tires, blowing carbon out of a motor that has not been started. No need to change the oil till you get back, and then drive it to the oil change place. You don’t need fuel stabilizer in a car any more then you do in a lawn mower you store for the winter. I have never bought fuel stabilizer for a mower and they always start up and run great every spring.

Tennessee Viking
05-15-2008, 23:12
You could park it at 19E at Roan Mtn, and collect the insurance money after it is broken into.