PDA

View Full Version : Have you seen Montego?

Montego
05-08-2008, 09:34
:confused:Hi my name is Tracy and Montego is my father. He arrived in Harpers Ferry on the evening of May 6. I am really worried because I have not heard from him. If anyone comes in contact with him or sees him either post or have him call home. Thank you so much

doggiebag
05-08-2008, 09:55
Tracy
Harpers Ferry and the trail surrounding it is quite safe and highly used. I'm sure Montego is fine. It will take a few days for any sightings to filter into this site from hikers that personally meet him. I'm sure he will call soon. But keep checking this site I'm sure folks will update this thread eventually.
Regards.

tazie
05-08-2008, 10:16
Is he heading north or south on the AT? I'm on the MD portion 3-4x a week and almost every weekend, so I'll keep an eye out for him.

Montego
05-08-2008, 12:08
I believe he is headed northbound.

A-Train
05-08-2008, 16:31
You might wanna call such places as the Outfitter at HF, the ATC headquarters and the Free State Hostel in Md.

Montego
05-13-2008, 14:49
Thank you for the info I really appreciate it. I will try those places. Tracy

doggiebag
05-13-2008, 16:34
Is he heading north or south on the AT? I'm on the MD portion 3-4x a week and almost every weekend, so I'll keep an eye out for him.
Tazie:
Why don't you check the shelter logs the next time you're running around up there. Might be a good idea.
DB

DAKS
05-13-2008, 19:17
I believe he is headed northbound.

yes, he is going NOBO from harpers ferry. he has my phone no., but i haven't heard from him. any news on his whereabouts?

doggiebag
05-13-2008, 19:30
I just called the Harpers Ferry Hostel to check for any registry entries from Montego or anyone from Oklahoma. No one with his trail name has signed the register on the 6th, 7th or 8th. He may have not stayed or stopped by that hostel. He's probably enjoying being off the grid for a while.

Montego
05-13-2008, 20:22
Thanks for everyone's help and concern I really appreciate it. As soon as I hear from Dad I will let everyone know. Does anyone have the phone number to the ATC in Harpers Ferry?

doggiebag
05-13-2008, 20:26
Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays; 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekends and holidays.
Contact: (304) 535-6331; [email protected] ([email protected])

I'm pretty sure he should have dropped bye there. I'll see if I could run up to some of the shelters on his route within a day or so to check the registers.

Wise Old Owl
05-13-2008, 20:38
Based on ten miles or less he would have been in PA?

doggiebag
05-13-2008, 20:49
Based on ten miles or less he would have been in PA?
Easily. It's going to depend on his conditioning. It's only 40 miles to the PenMar Park where there's a office with phones.

Wise Old Owl
05-13-2008, 20:50
Ok that Avatar is way over board...

doggiebag
05-13-2008, 20:52
He's been out of contact for 7 days. His profile mentions that he's just getting back into backpacking.

sofaking
05-13-2008, 20:54
what's the name of that inn by dahlgren? mebbe he's chillin' and avoiding the rain we've had...

doggiebag
05-13-2008, 21:06
what's the name of that inn by dahlgren? mebbe he's chillin' and avoiding the rain we've had...
That section of trail is pretty well traveled. This thing is getting a little goofy. I didn't realize the guy hasn't made contact until his daughter posted again this morning. Though I've been out of contact for weeks at a time up north. Probably nothing more than what you've said: a hostel vortex.

Skidsteer
05-13-2008, 21:16
:confused:Hi my name is Tracy and Montego is my father. He arrived in Harpers Ferry on the evening of May 6. I am really worried because I have not heard from him. If anyone comes in contact with him or sees him either post or have him call home. Thank you so much

Did Montego plan to call you at pre-set intervals?

sofaking
05-13-2008, 21:16
aw c'mon, she's obviously concerned about her dad. she's lucky that sites like this have people like, er, um...she's lucky to have resources like this.

doggiebag
05-14-2008, 10:13
Thanks for everyone's help and concern I really appreciate it. As soon as I hear from Dad I will let everyone know. Does anyone have the phone number to the ATC in Harpers Ferry?

Tracy:
I just got off the phone with the ATC at Harpers Ferry. No one using the trail name "Montego" has signed their registers or had their picture taken using the trailname "Montego" as of the 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th of May. They can probably cross check their lists by looking up his real name. I don't have that information so you'll have to call them. We have someone checking the shelter registries today in the middle part of the state and should get an update this evening. The simple explanation could be that he decided not to sign the registers or even simpler that he signed the registers with his real name.

HODOWN
05-15-2008, 09:32
Hi,

My name is Hodown and I camped with Montego at Crampton Gap Shelter in Maryland on the night of the 10th. He seemed in good spirits and gave me some snacks, 'cause he said he was getting off the trail. I'm assuming he's talked to you since then, since he said he was calling his daughter to get him a bus/train ticket. He also mentioned on the morning of the 11th that he would be staying at Crampton another night, before heading back towards Harpers Ferry. It should be noted that the night of the 11th and the day of the 12th were the most hellacious days of rain we've had on the trail in a long time.

Also this is my first post.

doggiebag
05-15-2008, 09:39
Hi,

My name is Hodown and I camped with Montego at Crampton Gap Shelter in Maryland on the night of the 10th. He seemed in good spirits and gave me some snacks, 'cause he said he was getting off the trail. I'm assuming he's talked to you since then, since he said he was calling his daughter to get him a bus/train ticket. He also mentioned on the morning of the 11th that he would be staying at Crampton another night, before heading back towards Harpers Ferry. It should be noted that the night of the 11th and the day of the 12th were the most hellacious days of rain we've had on the trail in a long time.

Also this is my first post.

That's great. This site really does wonders - sometimes. Welcome to Whiteblaze Hodown. At least he was at the shelter during the rain. Thanks for the update. Kudos to Tazie as well for doing some runs yesterday to check some registers. This is one of the best first posts on this site. :D
I'm just glad Montego's allright - he's the regular welcome wagon of the site. I'm sure we'll hear from him soon. Regards.

sheepdog
05-15-2008, 16:44
Keep us posted. Montego is one cool dude.

Montego
05-18-2008, 19:43
Hey guys thank you SOOOOOO much for everything everyone has done. My dad is back home with a few injuries. Tazie thank you for checking registers for me. Again I am super impressed with the Whiteblaze grapevine, it works well.

Montego
05-18-2008, 19:49
Welcome to WhiteBlaze Hodown :welcome. Hey guy, it was great meeting and talking with you and hope the second half of your hike goes as great as the first half did. And yep, 'twas one hellacious rain we had :eek:

doggiebag
05-18-2008, 20:02
It's about time you checked in. You had a couple of folks slightly concerned. Welcome back.

Montego
05-18-2008, 20:19
Thanks doggiebag. WOW! What a trip its been. Will post more about it later, but, only back a few hours and already miss it. Is that possible? Me must be crazy :D

doggiebag
05-18-2008, 20:25
I hope your daughter kicks your butt. Just remember to sign the trail registers with your trail name the next time you head out for an extended outing. I'm glad you enjoyed your hike.