PDA

View Full Version : Water Shorts

Christopher Robin
05-08-2008, 11:36
I like wearing men shorts becuase they area few inches longer. I needed new ones this year and had a mesh liner inside and was woundering if any one use these type & left the liner in & use no under wear? :-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-08-2008, 11:52
I remove the liner because it doesn't have enough fabric where needed (my hips) and has too much where I don't need it (front crotch). Wearing undies is an individual decision. Try it both ways and do what works for you.

AlwaysHiking
05-08-2008, 12:00
I have a few old pairs of Columbia men's river shorts. I like them for the same reason as you, they are a little bit longer and a little roomier. Also, the pockets are deeper.

I removed the liners though. They tended to bunch up. Same thing for a pair of no-name swim trunks that I have.

dixicritter
05-08-2008, 12:06
Haven't tried men's swim trunks yet, so I don't know how that would work. Sounds like something that just might be an interesting experiment though for summer hiking.

Frau
05-08-2008, 13:13
Nessmuk wears the Columbia's WITH the liners and loves them. The three pair he has have lasted 8-9 yrs and are still going strong. He wears them for paddling, hiking and just lounging around.

Frau

Bear Cables
05-08-2008, 13:21
I found a couple of pair of Hines women's shorts last summer. Very quick dry with a built in panty that is not mesh and fits more like a real panty. I plan to hike in these this summer without a panty and use pany liners.

Frau
05-08-2008, 13:24
I wear Columbia Whidbey shorts, no mesh liner, and love them.

Frau

Blissful
05-08-2008, 14:18
I used shorts with the liner but found out they tended to creep up. So I wore the shorts from my convertible pants and my ex officio undies.

glacier48
05-08-2008, 15:10
I also prefer men's shorts because they are cut larger and longer. I too cut the liner out because the mesh lining never fits right. Underwear or not? Doesn't seem to matter to most people, I think it is 50/50.

Glacier

KnowledgeEngine
05-08-2008, 15:11
I wear the convertible pants. Out here in arkansas we got ticks real bad, and the pants legs stay on most all the time. But I like the fact if I need to cross a stream, etc, the legs come off at the knee. A lot of people think it is too hot for the legs, but I stay just as cool. They are sahara tan, and the fabric keeps sun off of me. I wear a long sleeve sahara shirt too, with the buttons for rolling up the sleeves. Same logic. My pants do have a liner, I too wear exoffico undies. And I wear a performance wicking t-shirt under my sahara shirt to get the sweat off my back.

desdemona
05-08-2008, 23:05
I've worn swim trunks as shorts (day to day, not hiking, though its a good idea). I found the liner annoying as well.

--des

Marta
05-09-2008, 06:43
I've got a couple of pairs from Lands End. The older pair are great, sort of like a split skirt. The newer pair are cut much more snugly, which doesn't work for hiking, since I'm looking for loose legs so calls of nature are less of a chore. They're both women's models, and I leave the liners in. I don't go for men's pants/shorts because there is not enough differential between the waist and hip measurements.

Pennsylvania Rose
05-09-2008, 07:47
I picked up several pairs of men's swim trunks on clearance last fall - $5 each. I cut out the liners on all of them and turned 2 into skirts. Really comfy and dry fast. And the big flowery patterns are cool:)

Christopher Robin
05-09-2008, 09:55
Thank you all for the ideas. So I wear the shoirts for the day w/liner, I did all different things and desided the linning was comfortable but, the crouch annoying. So I thought that if I open the crouch seam & place a liner in it. I had a pair of knee high white sock liners new, so I cut a piece & sowed it in. It's amazing how all your thoughts came together can do many things. Thanks Ladies

as6518a
08-26-2008, 14:27
Pennsylvania Rose, I love the idea of turning men's swim trunks into a hiking skirt. However, the only thing I've ever sewed on a machine are cloth napkins, how hard is it? Do you have any pictures or advice on making them? Thanks and what a great idea!

as6518a
08-26-2008, 14:30
I love the idea of turning men's shorts into a hiking skirt. However, the only thing I've ever sewn on a machine were cloth napkins.....how hard is it? Do you have any advice or photos about making them? Great idea! Thanks.