PDA

View Full Version : Bag too big for a thru-hike?

atsent
05-08-2008, 12:15
I recently bought an Osprey Ariel 60 for my thru-hike next year. The small is at 3800ci. I have some 2-3 day experience (used my Atmos 50) but none for longer hikes. I'm afraid that 3800 ci will be too small and am thinking about upgrading it to an Ariel 70, which at a small will be 4400ci. Is that needed or will I be okay with 38000ci?

I should mention that my hiking style is not minimalist but not overloader- just comfortable.

I am also going SOBO so my concern is starting with the 100 mile wilderness with not enough room for 8-10 days worth of food plus winter gear in a 38000ci. Thoughts?

hopefulhiker
05-08-2008, 12:20
If you judiciously pack you should be OK with 3800ci.. Most likely you will be finding ways to do with less after you hike for a while.... Also it will get warmer... I hiked with 3600 ci...

Just Jack
05-08-2008, 12:27
I am assuming that you live in Atlanta. Drive up to Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap.
Ask Winton or some of the other folkls there for the help that they are famous for--
organizing and packing a pack. They are the closest ones to you that I know of. Their
hands on experience to you will be invaluable.

Phreak
05-08-2008, 12:38
I am assuming that you live in Atlanta. Drive up to Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap.
Ask Winton or some of the other folkls there for the help that they are famous for--
organizing and packing a pack. They are the closest ones to you that I know of. Their
hands on experience to you will be invaluable.

Or see Frank Woods @ the Perimeter REI store. He's a Triple Crown hiker.

bigcranky
05-08-2008, 14:25
Do you mean the Ariel series of women's packs (http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/ArielSeriesWomens/), which would be 55, 65, or 75 litres? If so, do you have the 55 or the 65?

Or do you mean the men's Aether packs (http://www.ospreypacks.com/Packs/AetherSeriesMens/), of which the Aether 60 is the smallest?

I ask, because there are some differences between the Ariel 55 and the 65 -- notably a separate sleeping bag compartment at the bottom of the 65. (Oh, and also because there is no Ariel 60.) I'm thinking maybe you have the 65, because that one is 3800ci in the small size.

Dragonfly uses an Ariel 55. The local outfitters didn't stock it, saying it was "too small for backpacking." Humph. Well, it's not super large, but she thinks it's plenty big enough.

The 65 should be fine. You don't need to be super-ultralight to start a sobo hike with that pack, you just need to be careful what you pack. For example, you don't need winter gear -- your fall or spring gear should be plenty. (Prepare for nights below freezing, but not into single digits or anything.) Don't go overboard on clothing, or on all the little accessories that clog up your pack. Bring enough food and a flexible attitude, and enjoy.

atsent
05-08-2008, 14:51
You're right, that was a typo. It is an Ariel 65, so would be potentially an Ariel 75 if I upgraded it. My hiking partner bought the Aether 70 so I always get confused on the "numbers"

bigcranky
05-08-2008, 16:09
That's what I thought. The 65 should be enough -- but you might take it on some trips first to see. Or just pack up at home and see how much room you have for food.

A-Train
05-08-2008, 16:17
The 65 is plenty big. Use compression sacks to decrease volume and strap stuff to the outside. If you're concerned about the 100 mile wilderness, send a maildrop to WHL.

fiddlehead
05-08-2008, 22:41
Depends on how big your sleeping bag and tent are IMO.
I have a small (packed) sleeping bag in a FF Hummingbird and a very small tent/shelter in an Integral Designs sil-shelter.
These enable me to use a Go-Lite Breeze. (no hip belt but telescoping top for increased loads like the 100 mile wilderness food supply)

I won't recommend compression sacks though. they add weight and you can use sil-nylon stuff sacks and just stuff them tight. have fun.

Evil Eye
05-09-2008, 08:29
Smaller is better - I thrued last year with the Atmos 50 - sure there were times I'd have liked to have a bit more room - but size = weight & that is what stops hikes. I carried my tent on the outside and had plenty of room to carry all I needed & several I hiked with will tell you I carried much too much I did not need.
Think the advice to visit Mtn Crossing or the triple crowner is spot on - they can help you make decisions to get smaller/lighter/"better".
FWIW - I saw - more small packs up north than big ones, lots of business at outfitters along the way from hikers downsizing - never heard of anyone going bigger,or switching to heavier gear!
Start Small & you will still learn to leave some stuff along the way.
(Oh Yea - check out the Osprey Aura series - the female specific Atmos)