PDA

View Full Version : TREK is the best AT Doc available!

Thru-Hiker_Man
02-06-2004, 17:29
I saw that people were discussing AT movies and such, so I thought I'd post my own personal opinion. I have "North to Katahdin" and "Five Million Steps," and these are both quality films. Recently I bought "TREK" on Amazon.com, and I would have to say that it is the better of the three. Not to take away form the impact of the first two - but what they lack, TREK makes up for. "North" is too short, and it has no real characters to connect with. "Steps" has the characters, but they aren't constant, and you don't get to follow their entire hike. "TREK" stays with the characters throughout their entire hike, and introduces new folks along the way. Having thru-hiked many years ago, watching the film really brought it all back for me. If anyone was looking for one film to see that shows what a thru-hike can be like, "TREK" is it.

Bonehead
02-08-2004, 03:19
Can Trek help my sore elbow?

attroll
02-23-2004, 00:15
I received my copy of the movie “Trek” in the mail last week. I had to get a VCR to view it. Mine was broke. But I finally viewed it.
I really like this movie. I can see that putting this movie together took some time. I have to give these guys some credit for carrying a camcorder throughout their whole thru-hike and actually remembering to take it out and use it. I know when I do extended hikes I sometimes forget that I even have my camera with me and miss out on some good pictures.

I am not going to start comparing this to the other DVD that is on the market called “2000 Miles To Maine”. Both of these movies are good movies. They both cover different aspects of thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail.

Trek was a very good movie in that the people filming it discussed their mental states and thoughts throughout the hike. It deals with some of the disappointments that can happen during a thru-hike.

I would have liked to seen some more interviews with other thru-hikers. They had some but I would like to have seen more and would of liked to seen them showing some of their overnight accommodations on the Appalachian Trail. But that is just something I would have liked to of seen.

The movie shows a lot of walking and that is something you will be doing a heck of a lot of. It showed the good days and bad days that they had to deal with.

Overall I liked this movie and would recommend it. I have not done a thru-hike but have done extended hikes on the Appalachian Trail and this captures the moods of thru-hikers I have met

A-Train
02-23-2004, 02:05
I also got my copy of this movie last week and I love it! Its great and a cool thing to show my friends to give some of the lazy ones a taste of what I was doing for 5 months. It is the most realistic and up to date movie i've seen about the AT. Great music, great footage and a very real feel, especially for amateurs (im assuming...)

I also wished they had interviewed more hikers, but I suppose being in a group of friends probably prevented them from being "part of a bigger group" sometimes. I thought the ones they did interview (bus driver, sheriff) were hilarious and real AT characters. I'm looking forward to seeing this again soon.

Like Troll said, I don't want to put it against 2000 miles to Maine. I saw that at the gathering and thought it was a FINE movie. It was hilarious and had some very good footage too. Glad to see people making modern movies to replace the aging and inaccurate movies of the past.

eyahiker
05-20-2004, 22:53
So far TREK has been the best I have seen. I actually enjoyed the fact that they focused on the four of them, instead of jumping around from hiker to hiker, which in other films left me wanting answers.

The film was well produced and I have recommended it to several freinds, and already lent my tape out to several folks who aren't really hikers, who are now itching to get off the couch and take a long walk.....this type of reaction is testimony to the type of uplifting TREK provides from start to finish, the characters developed, changed, shared hardships, and came out great in the end, felt like I knew them! And here it WAS all a wonderful true story:clap