PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag rating

rwf8283
05-08-2008, 20:10
I'm headed for Maine in a couple weeks for a SOBO hike and have a last minute question. Will a 40 degree bag be enough with thermal underwear on the cold nights or should I try to get another bag? If so, what's the highest temp. rated bag you would recommend? I get hot when I sleep. Thanks.

mudhead
05-08-2008, 20:15
Not for me. I am old and cold.

Doughnut
05-08-2008, 20:21
look at weather dot com, the lows or in the 30's. It'll be colder higher and in the woods, I recommend at least a 20 degree bag msyne even a 0. you can always open it up if you're too hot.

hopefulhiker
05-08-2008, 20:24
Consider a silk liner and a down sweater... I would go with at least a thirty degree bag... It can get really cold up there.....

Wise Old Owl
05-08-2008, 20:26
Rusty you left out important details. Is it a polyester microfiber bag? then the rating cannot mean anything. If it is a Down bag the rating is dead on and that should be just fine. Another factor is the weight of the bag and the loft. Maine is still dropping to 34 at night. It's up to you... Wear a fleece at night.

George
05-08-2008, 20:47
I would try insulated pants and jacket with hood or hat then you can ship them off after the whites and be warm around camp especially on cool mornings it makes easier to climb out of the bag

Bob S
05-08-2008, 20:58
Buy or make (Sew) a bag made out of a blanket to go around your sleeping bag and use it for the cooler nights. Then send it home when you get into the warmer nights. Kinda like layered clothing.

Wise Old Owl
05-08-2008, 21:01
What - Men Sew? Are you kidding...?

Bob S
05-08-2008, 21:49
I’m a guy; I have a sewing machine in the basement someplace. At least the lady at the garage sale that I bought it from said it’s a sewing machine…

PS if you don’t sew, and want to sew something, go to your local fabric store (Joann Fabrics or Minnesota Fabrics) and ask all the woman that work there if they would do it for you. they can make some extra money and you get what you want made without having to take any hormones pills to get it done…

boarstone
05-08-2008, 22:53
It's better to have too much to put on than not enough...if you haven't got it to put on your gonna' freeze...it's still at the freezing point nights up here. Try a liner for your bag along w/the before mentioned thermal tops/bottoms. Hopefully in the next two weeks it'll level out to at least 40's. Check on any weather link here on the web, on Yahoo! weather put in the zip for Millenocket-04462. This will give you an idea of how cold it gets. You can follow the night temps as you get closer to your hike date. They won't change much as you go south thru Me and NH/VT this time of year because of your elevation on the AT thru this area. Good luck on your SOBO hike:)

envirodiver
05-08-2008, 22:59
Fleece vest and hat are the key to me sleeping well in cold temps.

buz
05-09-2008, 09:20
If you are a warm sleeper, than you could likely get away with layering. Like Bob S says, I would do the cheap thing. However, I would change what Bob suggested a little.

If your bag is tight when you are in it with layers on, then think about an "overbag" made of fleece. But I would make one that fits in the bag first, if you have room. Fleece is typically cheap at Wally world, cut to size for either outside or in, sew, or take somewhere to get sewn. Simple job, low cost, send home when you don't need it. Or just look carefully at some heavier layers and do the same thing. Either way, I don't think your bag is warm enough. Nothing worse than being cold at night.

envirodiver
05-09-2008, 10:27
Nothing worse than being cold at night.

Wet and cold is worse:D

mudhead
05-09-2008, 10:34
And hungry and having to get up and...

End of May, safe bet for frost.

bigcranky
05-09-2008, 12:40
A high-quality down bag rated at 40-F should be enough if you have warm clothing. A good hat, a long sleeve insulated top (like a light down jacket or similar), powerstretch pants, and warm wool sleeping socks will help a lot. Your pad is important, too -- you'll lose a lot of heat to the ground otherwise.

There are some "40-F" rated bags out there that really aren't -- and only you know what you have.

If I had to buy a new bag for this part of the trip, I'd get a 15- or 20-F rated down bag weighing under two pounds. Expensive, yes, but it'll last a lifetime. Plus, you'll want it back as you hit the South in the fall.