PDA

View Full Version : Montrail Vitesse Hiking Shoes

Jeff
02-06-2004, 20:54
Does anyone have experience with the durability of this shoe? Regarding fit...does it run large or small compared to other shoes?

Happy
02-06-2004, 21:48
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?ID=46093

I have had mine for 11 months and will buy another pair...best shoes I ever had, with NO break in period. But shoes are a very personal thing and varies for EVERYONE. It seems the REI saleperson stated they ran a little small but I purchased my correct size and have had no problems in fit or performance on my section hikes.

Mausalot
02-07-2004, 00:30
I love my montrails. Perfect fit for my foot. But that's my foot mind you, not yours. Try them out, and others, with the sock you'll be wearing. Sierra Trading Post often has Montrails at discounted prices.

:dance Cameraman

enLightened One
02-10-2004, 20:23
I picked up a pair a little while back and the fit great with no break in period needed for me. Hiked up a short 1000' hill the first time wearing them and they felt light and great...my other boot is the Vasque Sundowner and I was looking for a lighter hiking shoe. These fit the bill. I too was told they run small and mine are a half size larger than my regular street shoes. I always buy my sports shoes a little bigger anyway. The ankle support is great for this light type of shoe and may help with a slightly larger size if you are worried about the fit.

highway
02-11-2004, 06:39
Does anyone have experience with the durability of this shoe? Regarding fit...does it run large or small compared to other shoes?
They run small.
I can't wear them as i need a wider toebox and have a narrow heel. I tried 2 pair. So, if you have a low-volume foot, narrow to medium, they will probably be OK. If you tend to require wide, they may not. A size up put the Montrail to long for me. I am a size 12 and they didnt have a 12.5 so I had to try a full size up, to 13.

Its unfortunate how size is so complicated and SO different for each manufacturer, for something as simple as a pair of shoes.

tribes
02-11-2004, 07:26
I found them to be a bit too narrow for my liking and instead went with the diez vista trail runners instead. The vitesse just never felt "good" so I returned them after a week and got new ones. I do really like Montrail for their quality and reputation.

B Thrash
02-12-2004, 21:40
Have used Montrail Hurricane Ridge GTX for past two years and over four hundred miles with great results. Montrail will be my shoe for the rest of the AT for me. :clap

gforce
02-12-2004, 22:26
I'm on my second pair of the Vitesse. I logged over 700 miles on the first pair and still use them occasionally. I completed almost 200 miles on the Long Trail last fall in my second pair and they look the same now as when I began the trip. So they certainly will hold up as well as any other trail shoe.

They only negatives I can think of with this shoe is your feet will get wet very quickly in them (but they dry fast too), and they are less dirt resistant than most shoes because of the mesh panels on the sides.

Happy
02-12-2004, 22:52
I'm on my second pair of the Vitesse. I logged over 700 miles on the first pair and still use them occasionally. I completed almost 200 miles on the Long Trail last fall in my second pair and they look the same now as when I began the trip. So they certainly will hold up as well as any other trail shoe.

They only negatives I can think of with this shoe is your feet will get wet very quickly in them (but they dry fast too), and they are less dirt resistant than most shoes because of the mesh panels on the sides.

Vitesse are the best shoes I have ever owned ...nothing close! You are right...get wet but dry out quickly...that's what I'm looking for!!!

walkerat99
02-13-2004, 07:32
:jump Jeff,

I have had 3 pairs of them and have never had a problem. I have worn each pair over 900 miles and the last ones I am still wearing, even though the don't look good and nearly worn out with a lot of paint on them as well, since I wore them to paint the house. At any rate, each pair I had I logged more than 900 miles on the AT with them, and I loved them. The do run small so I would suggest to get a 1/2 or maybe even 1 size larger than normal. Best yet if you actually try them on and wear around the store for a while. However with both pairs I bought I had ordered so I never got the opportunity to try them out. The first pair was a little tight, but they did streetch enough to get comfortable, the second pair I ordered 1 size larger and started the AT with them and it worked out great. I would rank the shoe the best I have had for the AT. I now have a new pair of NB's but I am not as happy with them, and I don't think they will last as long as the Montrial.

I hope this helps and I wish you many Happy Trails.

Sincerely,
Ed (Never Alone)AT99, 01

Footslogger
02-13-2004, 19:50
Used to work at an outfitter and put dozens of people in that shoe. The early ones fell apart pretty fast but the newer models have been beefed up a bit to take more of a beating.

Only thing I would question, as a shoe for distance hiking, is the thickness of the outsole. Down south where the trails have some dirt on them it's probably OK but once you get up north where the trail is mostly rock I don't think they'd give you much protection from the underside.