PDA

View Full Version : Greylock tomorrow 5/9-5/10 -any reports?

jaiden
05-09-2008, 07:43
I'll be doing an overnight on Greylock tomorrow.
Anyone been recently?
Trail conditions?
How's the peck's brook shelter?
Anyone going to be there too?

cutman11
05-12-2008, 00:49
I'll be there in a couple weeks too, be glad for the info.

jaiden
05-12-2008, 12:08
I'll send some more detail later, but here's the gist:
Cheshire and Old Adams rd are both very wide rocky road trails. Old Adams is very flat, but really muddy in places with some water source crossings.
The AT is really nice, but a long non-stop climb from cheshire to the peak of the first mountain. Not much mud, but also not much for water sources. I went up the AT to the summit past a pretty pond, then down Gould trail (also nice, and with a nice water source) to check out Peck's brook shelter. It's a really nice shelter with a good view of a waterfall, full 3 sides plus blue tarps which apparently could be pulled down for a wind break. Big fire pit. I just ate there and moved on. As I was leaving about 8 guys showed up, so I was glad to stealth camp. Not many flat spots around, but I hung my hammock on a fairly steep hill facing the town of Adams with a nice view of the lights at night. I saw almost no one on the AT, but 40-50 people at the peak, so clearly there are other shorter and more popular routes to the summit. I hear thurderbolt is very difficult.
I'd be happy to answer any specific questions if I can.

jaiden
05-13-2008, 14:11
pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jaiden00/GreylockMay08