PDA

View Full Version : Any advice to someone hiking with a dog

glacier48
05-09-2008, 13:59
Hello everyone,

I am leaving on 6/4 hiking with my dog on the AT. We will be there for 3 months. I have worked hard to make the upcoming trip a good one for my dog and myself. She is coming along for company for me and there is no option of leaving her home. As hikers please let me know how you think that I can be more responsible and make your hike more pleasant as we cross paths. I know alot of hikers hate the ideas of dogs on the trail so please keep comments on the positive side because my intent is pure and responses will be respected. Thank you.
:sun
Glacier

Flush2wice
05-09-2008, 14:04
Just read through all these old dog threads. It's all been pretty well hashed out.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=439

StarLyte
05-09-2008, 14:12
What a nice post Glacier - and thank you for asking.

Lots of reading for you in the 2nd posting's link.

I hope I run into you :sun

Have fun !

4eyedbuzzard
05-09-2008, 14:15
I have a dog, but don't hike with him, so don't take this as a dog hater reply.

Just like people, most dogs are friendly and okay by me.

But the biggest problem I've seen is people allow them to get too far away when off-lead. I've got no problem with a dog being off-lead most of the time(there are some exceptions) provided it is well trained and under voice command.

Any dog that acts agressive, jumps on me, charges, snarls, etc is not welcome anywhere near me and will be greeted with either a hiking staff or worse.

I don't like it when dogs run loose out of command range of their master. Got bit once due to this. The dog was 100 yards ahead of its owner.

I don't like dogs in shelters unless they are extrememly well behaved and don't annoy me while I'm eating or sleeping. This includes having them walk on my gear/bag, etc. This goes double when its raining out and the dog is wet and has muddy paws.

Other than all that, I like dogs and I'll even say hi, pet, and play with other peoples dogs when hiking.

Just keep them close and under control.

Mags
05-09-2008, 14:43
http://snipurl.com/27ro7
http://snipurl.com/27roa

The first link is from the ATC.
The second link was written by a vet.

glacier48
05-10-2008, 14:02
I guys, thanks for the comments and the links. I have read them and have learned alot. I know the opinions of hiking with a dog is greatly varied but it does seem universal that the issue is the owner not necessarily the dog.

I will keep the dog on a leash. Stay in a tent not the lean-to's, keep her tied up at camp and consider the water source before she drinks. She is not barky or aggressive so she will not interfere with your hike that way.

I hope to have her for company and to still not intrude on your hike.

Thank you,
Glacier:sun

superman
05-10-2008, 14:06
Have a great hike.

sofaking
05-10-2008, 18:20
don't fight with it over table scraps.

mudhead
05-10-2008, 18:25
Don't forget to check belly/ears for bug chewage. Small squirt on your hands and rubbed onto the area being chewed will help. Same as us, none in eyes or mouth. Tiny bit always worked for me and mine.

Sailor (The other one)
05-10-2008, 21:19
Thanks, Glacier, for being so responsible.