PDA

View Full Version : AT&T 8525 PDA instead of Pocketmail?

Red Hat
05-09-2008, 15:36
Okay, so I know lots of folks don't like cell phones on the trail. But my husband feels so much better knowing that I have one with me, even if it is off most of the time. So please don't hijack the thread telling me not to carry one.

Anyway, I'm thinking about using this one instead of the three items I carried in 05 (cell, camera, pocketmail) The weight is less than just the pocketmail! My concerns are battery life and quality of photos. Anyone have experience using this on the trail? I know Stumpknocker uses a Verizon eNV which is similar. I appreciate any comments from those familiar with the phone. Thanks!

SteveJ
05-09-2008, 15:43
Okay, so I know lots of folks don't like cell phones on the trail. But my husband feels so much better knowing that I have one with me, even if it is off most of the time. So please don't hijack the thread telling me not to carry one.

Anyway, I'm thinking about using this one instead of the three items I carried in 05 (cell, camera, pocketmail) The weight is less than just the pocketmail! My concerns are battery life and quality of photos. Anyone have experience using this on the trail? I know Stumpknocker uses a Verizon eNV which is similar. I appreciate any comments from those familiar with the phone. Thanks!

not familiar with the phone, but am too familiar with AT&T

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27746&highlight=AT%26T+sux
and Sgt. Rock's experience with AT&T wasn't good....
http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2508&highlight=at%26t

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-09-2008, 16:11
Given what happened to Sgt Rock (using his phone away from his home for several months got his service canceled), AT&T is a really bad choice for anyone planning a thru hike. We had Cinglar / ATT&T for a couple of years and switched to Vorizon because the coverage where we hiked was really awful. We have only rarely been without service in AL, KY, FL, GA, TN, VA, WV, MD and PA since switching. Can't speak for other states.

hopefulhiker
05-09-2008, 18:18
I think it is a good idea, plus a cell would be cool to keep in touch with friends when you get to town.. Verizon has the deal where you can get unlimited for 99 a month..
Sprint has one where you can get internet, text, and unlimited phone for 99 a month.. at Sam's. Don't know what coverage is like though...