PDA

View Full Version : Type A personalities

ncmtns
05-09-2008, 16:10
Does a long hike mellow out the spirit to where you become a new man the rest of your days?

Lugnut
05-09-2008, 16:13
I can think of a couple people it hasn't worked on. :p

Footslogger
05-09-2008, 16:16
Does a long hike mellow out the spirit to where you become a new man the rest of your days?
==========================

Yeah ...I would say it has a mellowing effect. But "rest of your days" is probably a stretch.

'Slogger

MOWGLI
05-09-2008, 16:17
The short answer is - no.

sofaking
05-09-2008, 16:22
i believe a lobotomy might...

modiyooch
05-09-2008, 16:24
no, just while your hiking

SGT Rock
05-09-2008, 16:28
I've seen Type A hikers still hiking.

Captain
05-09-2008, 16:45
sarge thought i should share a moment i had with my mother yesterday , she was driving me to the outfitters for wool socks when a guy cuts across 2 lanes of traffic to make a left turn and on a red light goes a head and took his left turn ,nearly avoiding us, we both were outraged.. till i saw his bumper which sported both a WHITEBLAZE bumper sticker and an AT logo sticker i was like " chill out mother if i dont drive for a couple weeks i have to get used to a stick again , hes probably still relearning how to drive again"

Summit
05-09-2008, 16:48
Perhaps the thread originator should define what "Type A Personality" means to you? You would probably find as many different opinions on that as there are posters here at WB! :eek:

I don't think long distance hiking changes personalities . . . perspectives and priorities most definitely, but not personalities.

Mags
05-09-2008, 17:08
I don't think long distance hiking changes personalities . . . perspectives and priorities most definitely, but not personalities.

That's about a good way as any I've seen what the experience of the trail does.

Most of us have had our basic personalities since we were children.

The trail ain't gonna change it. What you consider important, and how you view what is important, has a good chance of changing.

wagona
05-09-2008, 17:09

I'll let you know.:datz

sofaking
05-09-2008, 17:21
tbi causes personality changes. at least my ex wife says so...

Frosty
05-09-2008, 17:24
a guy cuts across 2 lanes of traffic to make a left turn and on a red light goes a head and took his left turn ,nearly avoiding us, Close call!

Tin Man
05-09-2008, 17:39

And those perspectives and priorities are relative to your passions. When the AT is your passion, well, we sort of see what happens to some.

Lone Wolf
05-10-2008, 00:38

hell no. duh :rolleyes:

Bearpaw
05-10-2008, 01:05
I was pretty type A as a Marine. I thru-hiked and mellowed out, but was still pretty type A even in finishing my thru-hike, though my feelings of being stressed out were lessened.

If I feel something needs to be done, I'm going to do it. That includes hiking..... :cool:

ofthearth
05-10-2008, 07:25
Perhaps the thread originator should define what "Type A Personality" means to you? You would probably find as many different opinions on that as there are posters here at WB! :eek:

What constitutes personalities if not "perspectives and priorities" ? :-?

Tinker
05-10-2008, 09:44
If your situation has you uptight and you go hiking to loosen up, things will quickly return to the way they were before you went hiking unless you decide to make major changes to the situation when your hike ends. I find that I end up quitting jobs more often than most folks after "taking a break from the day-to-day ordinary" by hiking.
You must decide to change yourself. You can't change others, only influence them by being a better you in the same situation. I've recently decided to get along better with my boss by being less critical of his actions and more understanding of his situation he might not be changing, but the way I view him certainly is.
In short, NO! a long hike isn't guaranteed to mellow you out. It may even make you more uptight and less tolerant of those you could avoid on the trail but can't in everyday life.

Tinker
05-10-2008, 09:46
I meant there to be a period after the statement ending with the word situation.

4eyedbuzzard
05-10-2008, 10:53
What constitutes personalities if not "perspectives and priorities" ? :-?

I think as an adult we learn to control our projected personality as it regards perspective, priorities, world view, etc. and also learn to cope when there is internal dissonance. But our basic personalty doesn't change much after early childhood, we simply learn(or don't) how to control ourselves both internally and externally.

An external behavior example would be a person who is easily angered vs one who is not. As a child an easily angered person might lash out and have behavioral issues. As they mature they learn(via suffering the consequences) not to lash-out, but they are still just as easily angered - the response changes but the basic personality doesn't. Internally, this same person may learn to let things go or intellectualize or use other "defense mechanisms" to cope and feel less angered and thus be able to function, but again, the root personality really doesn't change.

HYOH
05-10-2008, 10:54

I wouldn't know. Ask Jack T..:D

rafe
05-11-2008, 10:49

I wish . . . .

Tin Man
05-11-2008, 12:07
I wish . . . .

wow, that was thoughtful, when ya trying again? ;)

Appalachian Tater
05-11-2008, 15:38
Does a long hike mellow out the spirit to where you become a new man the rest of your days?No, but if you're constipated it might help with that.