PDA

View Full Version : Help with gear for a 5 day trip

atsent
05-09-2008, 16:39
This is a list I put together for a hike I’m doing with a partner in a few weeks: from Springer up to Neel’s Gap, then back down. We’re planning to do the 60 miles in 5 days and will stay overnight at the Mountain Crossings hostel at Neel’s before turning around. I’ve backpacked before but am still iffy on supplies. Any imput on additions I need, stuff I can leave would be awesome. Thanks!

PS- we’re taking 5 days worth of food instead of taking 3 and restocking at Neel’s Gap because we’re planning a thru for next year and want to get a feel for how much food we need for the longer hikes in between towns.

-Backpack- Ariel 65
-Sleeping pad- Thermarest prolite3
-Sleeping bag- Northface 30 degree bag (synthetic unfortunately, have another down 15 degree bag for thru-hike and figured it would be too hot to take on this trip so I’ll deal with a heavier synthetic)
-Pack cover- need to buy one, any suggestions for a cheaper one because the osprey brand is mucho expensive
-3 liter bladder + 1 L nalgene
-Tent- need to buy, will split weight with partner
-2 garbage bags- for bearbagging, wet clothes
-few small ziplock baggies
-rope to bearbag
-food, duh

-Underarmour shorts
-Stetchy yoga pants- for camp or if shorts get wet
-1 light long sleeve shirt
-2 synthetic tshirts
-3 pairs of socks
-1 sportsbra
-3 pairs underwear
-Lightweight rain jacket- Precip
-Bandana

-Trail runners- my hiking boots seem too warm and unnecessary for summer GA weather
-Flip flops for camp
-Trekking poles- REI ultralight

-Jetboil group
-2 small canisters gigapeak fuel- cooking for two people for five days, do I need more? I can start with one and buy another at Mountain Crossings
-Titanium cup/mug
-Titanium bowl- nests with the cup
-Plastic spork
-Camp towel
-Pretzl headlamp
-cell phone
-digital camera
-plastic ziplock with money, id, credit card

-DEET
-folding toothbrush, travel-sized toothpaste
-small mirror (no frame, doesn’t weigh anything)
-small pillbox with Motrin, Tylenol, Tums, Imodium, Claritin
-small mini-bottle of Benadryl- have to take the entire thing, if I get hives I have to pop them like candy to keep the swelling down
-small first aid kit: bandaids, moleskin, burn-cooling gel, tweezers, gloves, gauze
-few emergenC packets
-face lotion- like the benadryl, can’t go without
-toilet paper and baby wipes
-few face washing clothes- they’re dry and don’t weigh anything either, you add water and they soap up

My partner has the water purifier, obviously some of this stuff like the toothpaste is for both of us so a few things I can offload into his bag (he’s much bigger and can carry more than I can!)

Stir Fry
05-09-2008, 16:55
Make your own pack and food bags with Sil-nylon. Its Arround $7 yard, water proof and strong.
You can get it at http://www.questoutfitters.com/

Ghosthiker
05-09-2008, 16:59
Don't worry about a pack cover. Put everything in a large compactor style plastic bag.

Deerleg
05-11-2008, 08:12
Don't worry about a pack cover. Put everything in a large compactor style plastic bag.

After using a pack cover for a couple years I found the above lighter and more convenient .

Sound like you have enough fuel...with experience you will find if you bring things to a boil and then turn your fuel down or off, in about 10 min (or less especially in the warmer summer weather) most pasta, cereals,etc, will be cooked fine with a lot less fuel.

tzbrown
05-11-2008, 09:07
I have used a jet boil for 3 years and never needed more than 1 canister for 7 days unless in the winter. Turn it on low and do other tasks as the water heats.

I would only carry food for 3 days and re-supply at Neels gap for the return or send yourself a box with the return food to Neel Gap.

Pack liners are the way to go for sure.

As far as the bear bag rope, use masons twine. brick layers use it to keep their work straight. It is rated to 130 lbs and take up less space, and can be doubled if you have to hang your whole pack, or for clothes line.

Blissful
05-11-2008, 21:06
Comment on the pack cover - Not take a pack cover? Get your whole pack soaked, then the inside and have a wet trash liner wet inside your pack? Ugh
Take a pack cover. The trash bag liner is supposedly reassurace, but I just used Reynolds oven bags for my sleeping bag and clothes only. Weighs a lot less. Winton at Neesl gap said to forget the inside liner.

One can of fuel for two is enough for the whole trip.

You should think about carrying an epipen if you are that allergic, just in case.

Don't bear bag with a garbage bag, IMO. Sil nylon works good or get the Outdoor research bags from Wally world.

Wags
05-12-2008, 11:51
bliss you can always just take the trash liner out and let the pack air overnight :D

earlylight
05-12-2008, 23:48

Pack covers can come in very handy is you have to do any bushwacking, and if your pack has external mesh pockets. The pack cover prevents snags. Just something to consider if you anticipate hiking off the trail.

River Runner
05-13-2008, 02:08
Agree with Blissful not to count on a trash bag for bearbagging. They rip too easily, don't have a good place to attach your rope, and it can be difficult to untie a knot that has been tightened by the load of a few days of food.

Nalgene's are heavy. You can save weight by using recycled gatoraide or similar bottles. You might also be able to use them to double as a mug and save that weight, depending on how picky you are about what you drink from. If you freezer bag cook, you can leave the titanium bowl behind and eat directly from the bag.

You can probably get by with 1 short sleeve T-shirt with the long sleeve one, two pairs of socks, and two pairs of undies (rinse one, wear one); although I know some people do like to change socks frequently during the day. I seldom have any sort of foot problems, so I get by with one pair to hike in and one to sleep in.

You probably won't need the camp towel if you have a bandana. Personally I don't find flipflops make very good camp shoes, but I guess that depends on you. I prefer something like crocs if I take camp shoes, since they still protect my toes. Sometimes I don't even bother to take camp shoes.

Bare Bear
05-15-2008, 18:51
Sleeping bag? Why not take the lighter one whichever it is? If it is the down one then you can always leave it unzipped if too hot, or use it only under you as I frequently do until 3 am and then I craw into it. Weight is everything. Everything is weight.

Erin
05-15-2008, 21:04
Ditch the mirror and don't bear bag with a garbage bag. Two undergarmets will do-wash one and wear the other. Have fun!

4eyedbuzzard
05-15-2008, 21:16
Hat? Shell or rain jacket? Sunscreen? Lighter or matches? Maps, compass, guide? Groundcloth? Take the lighter bag. Take the mirror if you want - they're really light.