PDA

View Full Version : captains pack list-pick apart

Captain
05-10-2008, 06:14
as follows is what i have trimmed my pack down to carrying i tired to get it down to close to bare bones with a few comforts thrown in because i heard alot of people send alot of gear home when they use generic packing lists so please, pick apart critique scrutinize and tell me how stupid i am, im used to it

3 piar hiking socks
nylon shorts
home made gaiters (made from plastic coated polyester and nylon skin , not a lick breathable but more concerned about keeping water out of my boots)
convertable hiking pants
spare shirt
adidas wind breaker
north face fleece jacket
frogg togg jacket
neoprene diving gloves ( helps fight off cold hands in the morning and seals the wrist of rain poncho better than the loose snap that is has )
foam sandals
smokey the bear campaign hat
2 bandanas

coleman max inflatable pad
coleman 20 degree rated mummy bag W/ fleece liner
eureka gossamer solo tent
katahdin pro water filter
iodine tablets
coleman blue enamel steel cup and bowl
vergo titanium spork
blue skull 1L SIGG bottle
hydration 3L bladder
nalgene 1L bottle

long curve fixed blade knife ( looks fierce but i cut carpet with it and it was still razor sharp)
knife sharpener
snake bite kit
first aid kit
duct tape
mini AA flashlight
collapsing trekking poles
Appalachian pages guide book
cellphone (only plan to use in town ofcourse)
crank charger for ipod and cellphone
camera
alphasmart journal
shooting range ear phones (loud thunderstorms like to rumble when im trying to sleep)

Skidsteer
05-10-2008, 07:41
What are you going to cook your food with?

Captain
05-10-2008, 08:13
not cooking... mostly having cold oatmeal and ready to eat packed foods like zatarains jambalyia im planning on "trading" services for hot water for hot cocoa and cider like i will pump/filter the persons water for the next day for a cup of hot water , if not i can always drink them cold thats right even hot cocoa can be made cold

Skidsteer
05-10-2008, 08:17
If you think you might want some hot water at some point, you should plan to carry your own stove and not rely on someone else.

What's your main goal in posting your list? To get lighter suggestions or just to make sure you're not missing anything?

If you want to go lighter, it helps to post weights by item for the stuff you already have.

Summit
05-10-2008, 08:31
Eliminate one pair of socks, one bandana, and one water bottle.

The coleman blue enamel steel cup and bowl sounds heavy. Consider a single titanium pot, and with the weight saved you could add a complete alcohol stove cooking system and for heavens sake, eat some hot food! I don't know about you, but hot food is so very much appreciated after the toil of a full day of hiking. I couldn't imagine foregoing that! ;)

russb
05-10-2008, 08:54
I highly suggest you include a means of heating your own water. One should never have a gear list predicated on others. Of course unless you are with someone and it is shared gear. Heating water is not just for making meals, it is also a safety device since it can disinfect and be used for washing. Others have already mentioned the excessive water bottles and the likely high weight of the coleman blue dishes. Swapping out the blue bowl with an aluminum pot and a plastic cup and adding a stove would probably be the same weight. I would also ditch the snake bite kit and add an lightweight knit (of fleece) hat. regulating your temp via your head is much easier.
In summary:

Subtract: coleman blues, 1 water bottle, snake bite kit.
Add: plastic cup, aluminum pot, stove/fuel, knit hat

mountain squid
05-10-2008, 09:02
Some observations:

assume you will carry all this in a backpack
consider a silk liner instead of fleece
consider a small swiss army knife w/ tweezers/scissors instead of long knife and sharpener (if you intend to have a pirate theme going, get a cheap 'light', plastic knife)
wind breaker, fleece and frogg toggs might be excessive - do you have a poncho also:confused:?
concur with Summit - cup and bowl sound heavy
hand sanitizer
TP
tooth brush and other toiletries
maps
whistle
needle
sun screen
insect repellent
food stuff sack
50' rope
concur with Skids and Summit - take a stove

And, of course, don't forget ID/atm/credit cards...

See you on the trail,
mt squid

bigcranky
05-10-2008, 09:09
Trading "services" for time on someone else's stove might work -- once or twice -- in an emergency. But it's likely not to work on a daily basis. An alcohol stove and fuel will add less than 8 ounces to your load.

Nobody is going to tell you how stupid you are (well, mostly no one -- this is Whiteblaze after all :-?). Your list is your list, and you have to carry it. Every single hiker on the trail is carrying the lightest possible pack -- lightest for that hiker at that time anyway. As you gain more experience, you'll learn what you can leave behind, what you really need to carry, and what you can trade out for a lighter version.

Is this for a thru-hike? Or a summer section or weekend hike?

4eyedbuzzard
05-10-2008, 09:57
"Trading services"?

1)You aren't offering the goods I or many others would be interested in trading for.
2)Bad trail etiquette.

Cook on fires or bring a stove.

workboot
05-10-2008, 09:59
Those Zatarain pre packed cooked rice/meals are heavy .Ditch them and bring lipton type dinners,and, a small stove (pocket rocket or alcohol)I prefer the PR,ditch the enamel bowl and cup and bring a small 1 liter pot of some type, Campmor sells or used to sell a affordable aluminun "Open Country" brand for under $10 thats very light as well. Dont rely on other people to heat your water for you is a good rule of thumb and just smart trail ettiquetteAlso and this is just a personal thing for me, you might consider ****canning the spork and bring a spoon instead, I hate sporks.And last trade out the nagalene bottle for a gatorade bottle.YMMV

sofaking
05-10-2008, 10:44
snakebite kit is useless, gaiters don't sound functional, need a stove, and i hope you don't mean ear muff type shooting range ear phones? that would be too funny, with your smokey hat and earphones you will leave an impression...

doggiebag
05-10-2008, 10:51
I'd consider dumping the addidas windbreaker in exchange for wet weather bottoms. You can wear the frogg togg's as your wind jacket.

4eyedbuzzard
05-10-2008, 11:01
Foam earplugs would probably be a much lighter weight replacement for shooter's muffs.

Captain
05-10-2008, 15:08
ah wonderful responses , love tehm, main comment seems to be toward carrying a stove and fuel to heat my own water, i wont ever really "want" hot water, heck after i made oatmeal with cold water to see if it would work i actualy prefer that now and wont make it any other way so im not "relying" on someone else honestly im fine with cold hot cocoa went on a two monthbase camping trip up passed missagawua in the winter (canada) and everyone else was drinking and cooking hot but i felt fine with cold water and ill probably end up filtering other peoples water anyway, must be something wrong with me cuase i actualy enjoy it :-P as far as the ear plugs go i dont kowi must be one odd person when i put a pair in i feel like im getting sick... so i have to use muffs rather than plugs, i carry the snake bite kit for the iodine inside it,which for its weight is never useless IMO to answer another question yes this is for a thru hike and not really looking for anything in particular posting this just input from others never hurts incidently if i WAS to carry a stove would a white box alcohol stove be fine? cuase it wouldnt really be used to tell you the truth and lastly just to make sure its clear im not "reyling " on others stoves.. i know what im packing and im fine living with the "consequences" no sweat off my back dont worry im not oen of those guys who does not pack a tent then in a down pour insist someone in the shelter move cuase " well i didnt bring a tent you did!"

sofaking
05-10-2008, 15:18
you're not really going to try starting with a 90lb pack weight are you?

Captain
05-10-2008, 15:20
goodness no id want it about 40 pounds, thats fully loaded with food

sofaking
05-10-2008, 15:24
whew! thank goodness...have a great hike.

Foyt20
05-10-2008, 16:51
That load is not going to be 40 lbs... no ifs ands or butts. And What do you need a large curved blade knife for? Bear wraslin?

sofaking
05-10-2008, 16:55
bear wrasslin' is best done nekkid, unarmed...bare wrasslin.

Foyt20
05-10-2008, 17:07
On a bear skin rug right?

Foyt20
05-10-2008, 17:08
Oh, and there is absolutely no reason to call yourself stupid. Getting advice is a smart thing :D

sofaking
05-10-2008, 17:08
fer practicin...i'm trying to git holt of a boar hog hide so i can perfect my moves on dem wild pigs next...

sofaking
05-10-2008, 17:11
i tried duct tapin some slabs of bacon on my dog, but he jest layed there lickin hisself, wouldn't fight attall...

Captain
05-10-2008, 18:02
hhahahaha no its just my favorite knife its the same as a boot knife just more menacing looking ,but thats still designed to work not sit in a display case im savin the bar wrastlin for the PCT thru

Foyt20
05-11-2008, 22:01
When are you leaving for your 2008 thru?

sofaking
05-11-2008, 22:03
his tj says june 39th? they use the chinese calender in ohio...

Captain
05-11-2008, 22:10
does it? i will have to check that out but i plan to start actual hiking july 1st with red hat and sofaking im gonna miss your commentary that is at times just..sofaking ridiculous XD XD XD

Captain
05-11-2008, 22:14
FIXED no longer on chinese time

egclimb3
05-11-2008, 22:19
Lose the knife, get a Leatherman tool. Lose the Iodine , if you have the Kaytadyn pump you won't need Iodine. Lose the Snake bite kit, you have a cell phone! If you are filtering water for everyone else you had better take or maildrop an extra filter they clog quickly. Good luck on the cold oatmeal? I bet that won't last long. The Smokey Bear campaign hat is a useless item, ranks up there with the Sierra Cup, only took me one time burning my lips on hot metal to ditch that POS! Get a hat that will shed water and possibly insulate. No warm drink or meal in the morning you are gonna need it.

Captain
05-11-2008, 22:24
i eat cold oatmeal all the time so thats not going to bother me , i posed in an earlier post if a whtiebox alcohol stove would be fine cuase it would not get used but very seldom

sofaking
05-11-2008, 22:25
any of the diy 'can' stoves would be a good idea.

Captain
05-11-2008, 22:28
i tried to make my own but 2 stitched a pretty good burn and a broken toe later i gave up

egclimb3
05-11-2008, 22:31
Yea eating cold oatmeal in your apartment is different, reality will smack you in the 'Nads when it's a 25 degree damp morning and you are shivering in your Smoky Bear hat because it looks cool. What pack are you hauling all this in? You mention a medium size ruck? A RUCK? Tell me you are not taking a military ALICE pack that weighs 18 pounds itself.

sofaking
05-11-2008, 22:33
check out the homemade gear forum, those people are addicts and they know where to get the good sh1t. fo' shizzle...

Captain
05-11-2008, 22:36
nope no allice pack a climbers kind of ruck sack

Foyt20
05-12-2008, 08:18
How did you break you toe making an alcohol Stove? This i have to hear.

Captain
05-12-2008, 08:35
ha got called on it! didnt officaily "break" but i was frustrated so i slammed the hammer on the bench top it slid from my hands and landed on my foot while i was barefoot on cement floor stichtes and burn are real tho

sofaking
05-12-2008, 08:37
ha got called on it! didnt officaily "break" but i was frustrated so i slammed the hammer on the bench top it slid from my hands and landed on my foot while i was barefoot on cement floor stichtes and burn are real tho
sounds like a regular comedy of errors...where were the other two stooges?

Captain
05-12-2008, 08:48
my life is very tragic like that other two died long time back , they didnt make it through my "rebellious teen" phase i dont want to go into details lets just say it involved a circus monkey , peanut butter and a VERY large swede butler

sofaking
05-12-2008, 08:50
monkeys can be lethal

boarstone
05-12-2008, 09:10
You may not "want" hot water...I would'nt want to be you the one time your going to NEED it and can't "make" it. At least have fire making supplies, matches or flint, etc.

Panzer1
05-12-2008, 12:38
If your objective of not taking a stove is to save weight, consider that many foods that don't need to be cooked are heavier that dehydrated foods that require cooking.

Panzer

ps don't forget your map and compass
also matches or cigarette lighter
and hat

Panzer1
05-12-2008, 12:50
not cooking... mostly having cold oatmeal and ready to eat packed foods like zatarains jambalyia im planning on "trading" services for hot water for hot cocoa and cider like i will pump/filter the persons water for the next day for a cup of hot water , if not i can always drink them cold thats right even hot cocoa can be made cold

As far as "trading services", unless your a girl you won't have any services most guys will be interested in trading for. Also most hikers don't carry enough extra fuel to share with those who choose not to carry a stove.

Also consider that on a cold wet day like today, Monday 5/12, you may need a stove just to heat up some water to help ward off hypothermia. A stove can save your life or someone elses.

Anytime you go hiking and you choose not to bring a piece of gear that everyone else has, you should ask yourself why are you the only one without that piece of gear.

Panzer

Captain
05-12-2008, 18:45
yes thanks panzer , the first threads accused me of having bad trail etiquette "expecting" people to use thier fuel for my water, not the case i wouldnt be expecting anything and didnt care one way or the other , its like being compared to those guys who do not take a tent or some form of independant shelter then come walking into a full shelter in a downpour insisting someone else give up their spot inside cuase " you brought a tent i didnt!!" so yeah was a bit of a wow moment for me but i will be sticking with the ready to eat food but i have conceeded to taking a whitebox stove so like EGCLIMB3 so delicately put it ", reality will smack you in the 'Nads when it's a 25 degree damp morning and you are shivering in your Smoky Bear hat because it looks cool. " does not happen its a cheap lightwieght stove that i wouldnt have to worry about it breaking one of the very few times i decide to use it

Red Hat
05-12-2008, 19:30
sounds like a regular comedy of errors...where were the other two stooges?

LOL, since we are mentioned as his compadres!

Red Hat
05-12-2008, 19:33
"nobody ever eat fifty eggs... luke,19:67 " okay, sofaking, I bit and looked it up... Luke 19 only goes to 47.... LOL!

sofaking
05-12-2008, 19:38
"nobody ever eat fifty eggs... luke,19:67 " okay, sofaking, I bit and looked it up... Luke 19 only goes to 47.... LOL!
circa 1967...sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand- luke;)

Panzer1
05-12-2008, 19:53
knife sharpener
snake bite kit

You won't need a knife sharpener. Just sharpen that thing up real good before you go. You won't use it so much that it will need to be resharpened again before you get home.

Most people believe that snake bite kits don't really work. Plus snake bites on the AT are so rare that you are probably more likely to be hit by lightening.

Panzer

Captain
05-12-2008, 19:55
LOL, since we are mentioned as his compadres!

would be absolutly perfect if sofaking was doing a SOBO starting july too

Captain
05-12-2008, 19:57
You won't need a knife sharpener. Just sharpen that thing up real good before you go. You won't use it so much that it will need to be resharpened again before you get home.

Most people believe that snake bite kits don't really work. Plus snake bites on the AT are so rare that you are probably more likely to be hit by lightening.

Panzer

thanks for reminding me i forgot all about my portable grounding pole kit to protect me from lightening

anarky321
05-12-2008, 19:59
im not going to throw diet advice in here, but remember that a gram of fat is 9 calories while a gram of carbs or protein is only 4 (alcohol is 5..but i wouldnt go there)

1lb of unsalted butter - 3200 calories and fast (15mins max) body heat generation (try eating a stick of butter in cold weather); might be a bit too much for most, but i have gone for days with only unsalted butter and hotdogs/canned tuna/jerky...even cold its more delicious than you think, and very energy dense

i heard about a woman who hiked (skied/dogsledded?) across antarctica (my memory is a bit hazy but i believe yes all the way across) on nothing but olive oil; when it comes to trail food you cant beat fat for calories:weight ratio and alot of it doesnt have to be cooked if you package it right (dont quote me on the olive oil story i cant find the link now lol)

this is in response to the necessity of carrying a stove argument; ive personally warmed up on many cold mornings with lots of cold greasy food (10-15mins after you eat you should be warm); i personally wouldnt hike in places where mornings are cold though...hate cold mornings...and cold weather in general ^_^

on a cold morning you have 3 things going against you: 1. you just woke up, your body temperature is lower than normal 2 at night your body fasts, which means your heat generation ability falls dramatically and 3 your possibly sleep deprived which lowers body temperature - in cold environment those 3 things combine to a very deadly combination

sofaking
05-12-2008, 20:01
no, i'm a section hiker...i like to stay up late and watch the campfire die, get an 'alpine start' around 10 or 11 a.m. and take an hour or two for lunches...i'm not big on miles or schedules. most of the stuff i hear from thru hikers sounds too much like work to interest me.

Captain
05-12-2008, 20:29
well in my opinion MR KING you should leave your kingdom ( the sofa) for a day and join us for a section..say maryland and west virginia?

sofaking
05-12-2008, 21:12
i could possibly run into you guys towards the end of june. originally planned on picking back up @ rockfish gap may 23 and continuing south, but now it looks like i may be in jersey for most of june t.c.b. if that's the case, i may start @ dwg and head north. or flip a coin. i'll be the guy singing loudly and off key about poop doctors and chuck norris, you can't miss me.

Captain
05-12-2008, 22:06

Panzer

so what you are saying is if i WAS to be bit by a venomous snake then simply using my bandanna and a tent stake as a make shift tourniquet would do?

Foyt20
05-12-2008, 22:25
yes. what you should be carrying is a lightning bite kit.

Foyt20
05-12-2008, 22:25
or have someone with you to suck out the venom.

sofaking
05-12-2008, 22:26
that boy's gonna die...

Foyt20
05-12-2008, 22:29
HE needs a little more encouragement, i think we are starting to turn him around. Maybe he is going for a 50's style thru, when men were men, and sheep were scared.

:D

sofaking
05-12-2008, 22:53
that boy's gonna die...
referring to that old snake bite joke, about having to suck out the venom...

Captain
05-12-2008, 23:39
you people are just dirty!

Captain
05-13-2008, 00:10
i also need to find a good digital camera that uses batteries instead of rechargable battery packs

Panzer1
05-13-2008, 01:34
that boy's gonna die...

Yes, I know that joke. Its one of the best.

Panzer

Panzer1
05-13-2008, 01:47
i also need to find a good digital camera that uses batteries instead of rechargable battery packs

I got an Olympus 1200 digital camera (all weather) with rechargeable batteries. It only weights 4.4 ounces and can take something like 1600 pictures. Spare batteries only weigh 1/2 ounce so I have 2 spare batteries. The batteries are cheap too. approx. $5-8 each.

Panzer

Appalachian Tater
05-13-2008, 19:40
Snake bite kits are useless. Tourniquets aren't generally recommended, either. You can Google up recommended emergency treatment for snakebite. Most of the time you need no treatment, sometimes you die, occasionally you get an infection or some symptoms from the bite that needs treatment.

Captain
05-13-2008, 20:30
well im afriad thats one piece of equipment thats staying its tiny and it makes my family feel so much more at ease about me going or even if i toss it in a trash can at baxter before i start i will be inside my pack whe i leave

Panzer1
05-14-2008, 09:18
well im afriad thats one piece of equipment thats staying its tiny and it makes my family feel so much more at ease about me going or even if i toss it in a trash can at baxter before i start i will be inside my pack whe i leave

For every fear you have, there's a piece of gear you can bring to compensate for that fear. Just don't have too many fears or you will be carrying a too much gear.

Panzer

OwlsRevenge
05-14-2008, 11:40
Seriously, it might make your family ( or you) feel better about being out in the woods, but it's just not a good thing to have. You can actually do more harm than good with a snakebite kit. And I'd say your chance of being bitten by a deadly viper are about as good as being struck by lightening twice....maybe three times...

Snakes are not out to get you. They don't lay in wait along the trail for hikers. They don't want anything to do with you. The chances that you will step on a sick or cornered snake are really, really, really slim. Just never put your hands and feet where you can't see, and don't step OVER logs without first stepping on top of them or (better yet) looking over them to make sure some poor snake hasn't just shed his skin and is lying there in defense mode. I've been in the mountains, bushwhacking to streams, up trails, over mountians without trails for about 20 years and I have seen one rattler in all that time. ONE.

The fact that it was in a camping area along the AT at Three Forks should be of no consequence. :)

Really, instead of making your family feel better, you should take the time to look up the facts, and then educate them on snakes and the current wisdom that a snake bite kit is useless anyway. Then, they can really feel better.

Snakes aren't out to get you....like...ummm.....yellow jackets are.

uuugh....now there's something you don't want to mess with, brother. Those suckers will make you miserable...

sofaking
05-14-2008, 11:45
great, now you've gone and encouraged him to get an epi-pen...

Hooch
05-14-2008, 12:03
Things I'd lose off this list:

Gaiters
Adidas Wind Breaker
Smoky the Bear Campaign hat (What are you, a state trooper wannabe? :p)
Coleman blue enamel steel cup and bowl
Nalgene bottle
Sigg Bottle
Snake bite kit
Mini AA flashlight
Long curve fixed blade knife
Shooting range ear phones

Things I'd add to the list:

Wool or synthetic watch cap
Platypus 1 liter or gatorade bottle
Head lamp
Reliable smaller knife or multi-tool
Disposable ear plugs
MSR Titan Kettle or something similar (functions as pot, cup and bowl)
Alcohol stove setup (easily made for next to nothing from directions on the internet)
A backpack of some sort
Toiletries
Stuff sack food bag
50' of 550 cord to hang it with
Insect repellant
TP
Map and compass (And the ability to use both proficiently)

sofaking
05-14-2008, 12:58
hooch, you're beating a dead horse.

Captain
05-14-2008, 19:05
is it the general consensus that im just going to die out there?

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 19:09
You're getting good advice if you would just take it, except about the Smokey the Bear hat, which you should definitely take. If you decide to get rid of it, I'll take it. Or you can tell me where you got it. I have a giant tourist sombrero from the 1950s for the beach but I could switch it up if I had the Smokey the Bear hat.

Pete Moss
05-14-2008, 19:10
Captain-

I think the general consensus is that you just do things the way the captain sees fit, and thats your way. From what I've gathered from you, you have no agenda out there but to just be out there....notice no clocks, schedules, or watches on the Captains List. Thats your perogitive dude....HYOH!!!I just cant wait to meet this kid and just trip out on him for a day or so
-Pete Moss

Panzer1
05-14-2008, 19:12
In regard to snake bites they probably read something like this:

At least a few thousand people living in North America who venture into the outdoors during the hot and humid months of the summer require treatment for poisonous and non-poisonous snake bites. Make sure YOU and your family are well prepared with a snake bite kit!

Panzer

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 19:13
is it the general consensus that im just going to die out there?Well, if you are going to die, it would be from hypothermia, something like a tree or rock hitting you, a psycho killing you, or doing something stupid while drunk, but not from a snake bite. The snakes don't want to bite you, they run away if they can, rattle if cornered, bite only if they have to, and most of the time bite is venomless. If it's not, it's still not very likely to be fatal. There were a couple of people with some really nasty spider bites the year I thru-hiked.

You start slicing yourself up with a razor blade and using that little suction thing and you're going to get a nasty infection, your skin is going to be filthy. I would venture you're as likely to get sick from using the snakebite kit as from a snakebite.

Captain
05-14-2008, 19:26
new revised packing list:

eureka gossamer
20 degree mummy w fleece liner
inflatable pad with pillow

sandals
appalachain trail pages book
thermal set
sigg bottle
hiker pro micro filter

on person:
poles
hat
gaiters
convertable pants
synthetic shirt
shooting range earphones

Captain
05-14-2008, 19:28
but maybe i should be prepared with an epi-pen

sofaking
05-14-2008, 19:31
is it the general consensus that im just going to die out there?
that's not what i meant at all...i was just noticing that every other post is telling you the same stuff, bring this/don't bring this...and they're prety much all the same advice. go hike. have a blast and be on the look out for a tattooed freak singing about chuck and poop...

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 19:34
What are the shooting range earphones for? Do they have a built in mp3 player or radio?

Captain
05-14-2008, 19:36
nope they are for at night when people start snoring or signing or if a storm shows up like BOOOM I AM LOUD 'CUASE I AM THUNDERSTORM BOOOOOOOO!!

Hooch
05-14-2008, 19:56
hooch, you're beating a dead horse.Why'd homeboy ask for advice if he already knows it all/won't follow advice given? ***? Looks like someone has a lil too much time on their hands.

Captain
05-14-2008, 20:13
oh no on the contrary i love all this advice, just trying to find a balance between " dont need it/ will miss it if i dont have it" ive read plenty of journals and i have yet to find a single one that hasnt said " if only i had decided to carry XXX , i wish i had not put XXX in my bounce box" at some point wether it was gaiters in PA or warmer mitts in colder weather or an extra set of boot laces heading out of newyork so on the contrary i dont claim to know it all just trying to findthat delicate balance.. and i already know i will have a moment or two like that myself i think its not 100% avoidable for a trip like this but still wanna minimize it if i can... as i type i have 6 different " packign lists " scrawled onto notebook sheet taped to my wall , the desk have two differnt packs ( small and large) stuffed to see what pack covers would fit dang need to find a medium ANYWHO thanks everyone for the continued advice and sorry if it seems like im being stubborn

Hooch
05-14-2008, 20:17
So tell us brainiac, what pack are you using?

russb
05-14-2008, 20:30
The comment that being struck by lightning is 2 or 3 times more likely than killed by snake is just plain wrong. 7-10 people are killed by snakbites per year in the US and about 90 per year are killed by lighting. Thus it is NOT 2-3 times it is more than 10 times more likely. It was also mentioned that hypothermia is more of a danger, and that is true. on average about 700 deaths per year are due to hypothermia in the US. These are not just in the cold weather States. Many happen in the southeast during rapid changing weather days. This is the very reason why I suggested the stove is a safety item. Statistically the need for a stove in an emergency hypothermic situation is 100 times more likely than a snakebite kit. These stats are based solely on deaths, not just injuries.

Hooch
05-14-2008, 20:33
Statistically the need for a stove in an emergency hypothermic situation is 100 times more likely than a snakebite kit. These stats are based solely on deaths, not just injuries.It's ok, he likes cold oatmeal and will get others to heat his food for him when he wants something hot. :rolleyes:

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 20:48
I would be careful going up to strangers and offering "services".

This kind of earplug works well and is cheap. They aren't quite as big as in the pic.

http://www.crandallwc.com/img/earplugs.jpg

Captain
05-14-2008, 21:07
hooch! , love the avatar by the way the following was removed from the list:
knife sharpener
snake bite kit
lighting bite kit
bear spray
deoderant
blueberry,honey lotion
epi-pen
3liter hydration bladder
iodine tabs

items added to list:
alcohol stove
winter skull cap
food bag
100' 550
headlamp

sadly i will not be carrying a backpack i just want to carry everything in my arms that way its easy to get at everything

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 21:10
You do need a three-liter hydration bladder, plus a couple of 1 liter AquaFina or Gatorade bottles. Water is the most important thing you carry.

Captain
05-14-2008, 21:19
:: cries::

Captain
05-14-2008, 21:21
Things I'd lose off this list:

Gaiters
Adidas Wind Breaker
Smoky the Bear Campaign hat (What are you, a state trooper wannabe? :p)
Coleman blue enamel steel cup and bowl
Nalgene bottle
Sigg Bottle
Snake bite kit
Mini AA flashlight
Long curve fixed blade knife
Shooting range ear phones

oi46ju3b6n30nub390bu33905b6u23=9763=0q29b78q3=9789 387390q57n5bsioysinm35b623yub649bu24!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

russb
05-14-2008, 21:57
sadly i will not be carrying a backpack i just want to carry everything in my arms that way its easy to get at everything

:-?

That was funny. thanks.

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 22:05
Here, make a stove like this, you just need a hole puncher, you don't need a stove stand or a pot stand, just the stove and a windscreen and a pot. You can get a K-Mart Grease Pot for less than $10. No hammers no broken toes no problems. http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/SuperCat/index.html

Captain
05-14-2008, 22:08
haha thanks tater but was thinking of buying the whtiebox stove that comes with a really nice windscreen and heat shield for 20 bucks but yes i will make this one too may add it to jasons box to get bumped alon to the next hiker on the list

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 22:10
Looks like the same thing anyway. Better get the whitebox, if you make the other one you have to eat the Vienna sausages or find a cat to feed them to.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 22:13
Looks like the same thing anyway. Better get the whitebox, if you make the other one you have to eat the Vienna sausages or find a cat to feed them to.
or cut himself up and break a toe...

Captain
05-14-2008, 22:14
might be a hard task , my cat will chomp on a dead bird ( yes already dead he did not kill it) but he wont get within 3 feet of those sausages...somethings not natural about that i took the hint and dont touch them myself

Panzer1
05-14-2008, 23:03
3liter hydration bladder

iodine tabs

I would keep the bladder. I hike with a 4 liter water bladder with hydration hose.
Also, I would keep the iodine tabs for backup in case the filers stopped working. The iodine tabs only weigh about 1.1 ounces.

Panzer

Captain
05-14-2008, 23:05
they make 4 liter bladders with hoses? i thought 3 was the largest with a hose to go in a pack whats your source panzer

Panzer1
05-14-2008, 23:22
they make 4 liter bladders with hoses? i thought 3 was the largest with a hose to go in a pack whats your source panzer

I bought a MSR 4 liter dromlite (3.6 ounces) I got it several years ago. The newer ones are slightly heaver.

REI has a "DROMEDARY" bag. They come in 2, 4, 6 and 10 liter. Try WWW.REI.COM (http://WWW.REI.COM)
The hose comes separate.
Also look at: http://www.msrgear.com/hydration/systems.asp

Panzer
ps I would also add a 32 ounce wide mouth HDPE nalgene bottle too. That's the white one, same color as a the jug that milk comes in. You can use this to attach to your filter.

Panzer

Panzer1
05-14-2008, 23:43
NYWHO thanks everyone for the continued advice and sorry if it seems like im being stubborn

I don't think your being stubborn, your just opinionated, which is a good sign.

Panzer

Panzer1
05-14-2008, 23:46
100' 550I hike with 25 feet of 4 milimeter cord. (2.9 ounces) I never needed more that 25 feet. never needed to cut any off either. I know a lot of people who hike with 50 feet of cord, but I don't think you really need that much.

I only use it for hanging food at night and putting up a clothes line for clothes/gear to dry after a rain.

Panzer

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 23:50
I would guess anyone who finishes a thru-hike is stubborn.

Panzer1
05-15-2008, 00:46
long curve fixed blade knife ( looks fierce but i cut carpet with it and it was still razor sharp)I'm assuming this is mostly for self defense. I like a folding lock blade knife for self defense because you can keep it in your right pants pocket so that when you need it you just reach right in and pull it out quickly. No one knows its there except you. Get something around 3 ounces or less. If the knife is not handy its no good in an emergency. That's the most important thing.

I don't like wearing a "proper self defense knife" on my belt because it gives off bad vibes and that's just not me.

However in reality a self defense knife is kind of like the snake bite kit. You will never need it. I've been on the AT for 25 years and never even came close to needing to defend myself. Still I have about a dozen different knifes.

Panzer
(The most important element of self defense is your brain not your weapon.)

4eyedbuzzard
05-15-2008, 01:35
I'm assuming this is mostly for self defense. I like a folding lock blade knife for self defense because you can keep it in your right pants pocket so that when you need it you just reach right in and pull it out quickly.

No can do. It would get in the way of the pistol. :D

Captain
06-05-2008, 04:52
FINAL

This list has been finalized any other adjustments will be done on the trail. i havent weighed it but it is extremely comfortable even after hiking 2 hours. Thanks to everyone who helped out. 3 weeks to go YA

Clothes:
one full change clothes
3 pair extra socks
thermal set
rain gear
gloves
sandals
wool cap
bandana
Shelter:
Eureka Gossamer solo tent
Coleman 20 degree mummy bag
Coleman MAX inflatable pad
Kitchen:
Whitebox alcohol stove
fuel bottle
6 quart pot
blue enamel cup
spork
Water:
Katadyn pro filter
Sigg blue skull 1l bottle
Nalgene purple 1l bottle
2 l hydration bladder
3 l hydration bladder
Fire:
matches
2 lighters
Consumable:
baking soda
bug spray
sun screen
no rinse wash/shampoo
Electronic:
Pocketmail
Cellphone
cheap mp3 player
Utility:
100 ft cord
duct tape
pocket knife
small AA flashlight
Misc:
charger for phone,mp3 player
bear bag
shooters headphones

Hoop
06-05-2008, 05:37
no first aid at all?

a 6 quart pot?

Captain
06-05-2008, 05:50
first aid: nothing a bandana and a couple bandaids cant fix , and if it isnt then ill prolly have to get off trail anyway

6 quart pot: no clueif this is the right capacity its not large its a medium pot that can fit a pack of ramen inside 6 quart just an estimate

Hoop
06-05-2008, 06:45
Six quarts is a gallon and a half.

Captain
06-05-2008, 06:56
ew then no just enough to hold ramen and 2 cups water my bad

Lone Wolf
06-05-2008, 07:22
as follows is what i have trimmed my pack down to carrying i tired to get it down to close to bare bones with a few comforts thrown in because i heard alot of people send alot of gear home when they use generic packing lists so please, pick apart critique scrutinize and tell me how stupid i am, im used to it

3 piar hiking socks
nylon shorts
home made gaiters (made from plastic coated polyester and nylon skin , not a lick breathable but more concerned about keeping water out of my boots)
convertable hiking pants
spare shirt
adidas wind breaker
north face fleece jacket
frogg togg jacket
neoprene diving gloves ( helps fight off cold hands in the morning and seals the wrist of rain poncho better than the loose snap that is has )
foam sandals
smokey the bear campaign hat
2 bandanas

coleman max inflatable pad
coleman 20 degree rated mummy bag W/ fleece liner
eureka gossamer solo tent
katahdin pro water filter
iodine tablets
coleman blue enamel steel cup and bowl
vergo titanium spork
blue skull 1L SIGG bottle
hydration 3L bladder
nalgene 1L bottle

long curve fixed blade knife ( looks fierce but i cut carpet with it and it was still razor sharp)
knife sharpener
snake bite kit
first aid kit
duct tape
mini AA flashlight
collapsing trekking poles
cellphone (only plan to use in town ofcourse)
crank charger for ipod and cellphone
camera
alphasmart journal
shooting range ear phones (loud thunderstorms like to rumble when im trying to sleep)

all looks fine. go with it

Red Hat
06-05-2008, 08:28
first aid: nothing a bandana and a couple bandaids cant fix , and if it isnt then ill prolly have to get off trail anyway

6 quart pot: no clueif this is the right capacity its not large its a medium pot that can fit a pack of ramen inside 6 quart just an estimate

I've got some antibiotic cream if you need it... and you can use that "6 qt pot" to cook dinner for the whole gang, lol....(mine is only .9 liter so yours is actually probably about 1.5 qt)