PDA

View Full Version : A springer named katahdyn

sheepdog
05-10-2008, 20:16
Hello all dog lovers. Several months ago my springer spaniel Mesa passed away at the ripe old age of 16 years 7 months. She was a great dog and she was one of three dogs I had in the line. Grandma (Maggie) lived thirteen years. Mesa's son (Buck) lived thirteen years also, but his mom (Mesa) lived longer. So I guess you could say I like springers.
It is time to fill the hole in my life that only a dog can fill. That new dog is a springer of course. The fancy name will be "Steve's hiking pal Katahdyn." His call name will be shadow or maybe blaze, we are still deciding. There is something about a new puppy that only a dog lover can understand. I miss my old dog terribly. I look forward to a new companion.
So now I have a springer called katahdyn. Kind of covers both ends of the trail. Happy hiking.
Sheepdog

mudhead
05-11-2008, 09:24
Enjoy those puppy teeth!

boarstone
05-11-2008, 09:26
Congrats on the new puppy, nice little dogs...:banana
condolances on the lost one...:(

paddler
05-11-2008, 09:29
ilost my old dog in october and recently got anew pup. iknow what you mean

doggiebag
05-11-2008, 09:44
Enjoy those puppy teeth!
Hmmmmm puppy teeth and puppy breath - good stuff.

Two Speed
05-11-2008, 09:50
:sun :datzWarning! Thread Swerve Imminent! Warning! :datz :sun

Hope you got your new pup from a shelter. Lotsa good dogs there that need a home.

This concludes this test of the
WB Thread Swerve Warning System!

'Kay, I gotta admit I admire the humor in naming a springer "Katahdin." Pretty cool in my book.

Lilred
05-11-2008, 10:22
ya, i gotta agree. One of the more clever names for a dog, a springer named Katahdin. Perfect.

paddler
05-11-2008, 10:33
i got mine from an old lady ho could not care for it.most of my older dogs whre stray or pound puppies

sheepdog
05-11-2008, 13:21
Enjoy those puppy teeth!
Puppy teeth and crying at night. The joys of puppyhood, or is that a hood puppy.

doggiebag
05-11-2008, 13:31
Puppy teeth and crying at night. The joys of puppyhood, or is that a hood puppy.
If you have an old fashioned wind up clock. You can put it in his bedding area if he's crying at night. I heard the ticking will fool him into thinking that it's a siblings heartbeat. Just make sure that the alarm isn't set to go off.

sofaking
05-11-2008, 13:35
when my borzoi was teething it became a major issue in the house...i had a massage pad that fit over my recliner, didn't survive...the couch, didn't make it either...my wife's panties, she had to buy a bunch of new pairs...my tevas, r.i.p...2 very long years of puppyhood.

mudhead
05-11-2008, 19:19
If you have an old fashioned wind up clock. You can put it in his bedding area if he's crying at night. I heard the ticking will fool him into thinking that it's a siblings heartbeat. Just make sure that the alarm isn't set to go off.

Agreed. Put it in an old thick sock. Right in the box, or whatever corrals it at night. Wear the sock for awhile first. (If it's yours...)

Worth buying a cheap one if you don't have one.

sheepdog
05-11-2008, 21:02
Ok, I'll give the clock a shot. Keep your fingers crossed.

AlwaysHiking
05-11-2008, 21:42
Springers are my heart dogs too. Devotion, smarts, personality, sense of adventure, sense of humor... really, they are great dogs! I will never be without at least one.

Congrats on the new pup, great name! I like also that you spelled it with a 'y' instead.

leeki pole
05-12-2008, 15:18
:DA Springer named Katahdyn. Very, very cool. What about ay-tee as a call name?

-SEEKER-
05-12-2008, 15:46
:sun :datzWarning! Thread Swerve Imminent! Warning! :datz :sun

Hope you got your new pup from a shelter. Lotsa good dogs there that need a home.

This concludes this test of the
WB Thread Swerve Warning System!

'Kay, I gotta admit I admire the humor in naming a springer "Katahdin." Pretty cool in my book.

Speaking of "Shelter Dogs", I have a dear friend that needs a home for a Bearded Collie. She is the breeder and part owner. The owner who has the dog is getting divorced and can't keep her. It is my friends policy that she should get the dog back, but she can't because of a conflict with the other female dogs she currently owns and shows. If anyone has any interest please PM me and I can get you more details.

AlwaysHiking
05-12-2008, 16:03
Speaking of "Shelter Dogs", I have a dear friend that needs a home for a Bearded Collie. She is the breeder and part owner. The owner who has the dog is getting divorced and can't keep her. It is my friends policy that she should get the dog back, but she can't because of a conflict with the other female dogs she currently owns and shows. If anyone has any interest please PM me and I can get you more details.

:-?

NOT the same as a shelter dog.

sheepdog
05-12-2008, 16:45
Just like there is no perfect stove for all backpacking, there is no perfect dog for all people. A shelter dog may work for some, some may want a pure bred dog. Pure bred dogs need homes too. My springers have always been hunters and I hope this one is also. Most of all he will become family.
What we all have to do is be responsible dog owners. We should ensure are dogs are not neglected and that they are not adding to the shelter overcrowding problem.
To Cyndie, I hope your friends collie finds a great home.
To AwaysHiking, you described a springers character to the T.

Congrats on the new puppy, nice little dogs...:banana
condolances on the lost one...:(
For those who shared my joy of a new puppy, thanks!!:sun:sun
For those who shared in my grief of losing my old dog, blessings. :):)
sheepdog

-SEEKER-
05-12-2008, 20:38
:-?

NOT the same as a shelter dog.

Sorry. Technically it is not the same as a shelter dog. It's just that if they don't find an owner worst case scenario is that it would go to a Bearded Collie rescue organization.

Two Speed
05-12-2008, 20:48
Guys, I made my comments to remind folks that there are lots of good dogs available at shelters, not to kick off a contentious conversation.

FWIW my mutt, Barney doesn't satisfy the technical definition of a shelter pup, either. A neighbor had him, wasn't taking care of him and he was going to a shelter if I didn't take him. If you take a dog in that's going to a shelter that's just as good as adopting from the shelter in my book.

sheepdog
05-12-2008, 21:21
Guys, I made my comments to remind folks that there are lots of good dogs available at shelters, not to kick off a contentious conversation.

FWIW my mutt, Barney doesn't satisfy the technical definition of a shelter pup, either. A neighbor had him, wasn't taking care of him and he was going to a shelter if I didn't take him. If you take a dog in that's going to a shelter that's just as good as adopting from the shelter in my book.

It is always a good reminder to find as many shelter dogs a home as possible. No contention felt in this corner. :sun
sheepdog

sofaking
05-12-2008, 21:27
i rescued my borzoi from a breeder who ended up with her plate too full. my two previous dogs were both pound puppies.

desdemona
05-13-2008, 00:07
There are rescue groups as well, some of them are pure-bred rescue and some are any breed rescue. It's a good thing too, as the shelters are crowded, and rescue groups help to uncrowd them a bit. It isn't identical, but some dogs have been in shelters, rescue groups, and shelters as well.

--des

AlwaysHiking
05-13-2008, 09:54
As someone who works constantly with rescues and shelters, I don't think a breeder looking to rehome a dog she brought into the world is the same as a dog actually in a shelter.

My comment was just that the two shouldn't be compared together. They're not anywhere near the same. You can't spend as much time working with dogs in shelters as I do and find any link between the two. Dogs in shelters are already abandoned and have no one but shelter staff and volunteers looking out for their wellbeing. Visit some of the shelters I do on a regular basis and you'll see that most often, even that's not enough.

Nothing against reputable breeders, the current dog I have is from a famous springer breeder but all of my past dogs have always come from rescue situations and I'm currently looking for a 2nd springer from rescue. A rescue that pulls dogs out of shelters.

By the way, the BCCA (http://beardie.net/bcca/rescue.htm) says on their rescue page: "(Our purpose is not, and must not be to 'bail out' irresponsible breeders who do not wish to help new owners with problems or take back their own pups/dogs when new homes don't work out.)" Even they don't compare the situation described to true rescue.

I don't think the Beardie mentioned is any less deserving of a loving and forever home, but you just can't compare his unfortunate situation to dogs in shelters or rescues.

Blissful
05-13-2008, 14:51
So now I have a springer called katahdyn. Kind of covers both ends of the trail. Happy hiking.
Sheepdog

Now that is cute. Have fun!

Wise Old Owl
05-14-2008, 11:49
i got mine from an old lady ho could not care for it.most of my older dogs whre stray or pound puppies

That little mispelling is awfully funny. - I didn't know cute little old ladies were ....

Wise Old Owl
05-14-2008, 12:29
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg275/MarkSwarbrick/200804003.jpg

Here is Rugby - My SPCA rescue for the trail - He loves the long walks!

sheepdog
05-14-2008, 16:56
Here is little Katahdyn, call name blaze.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/4/9/2/0/katahdyn.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=24553&original=1&c=535)

Rugby looks like he needs a pal. Can he come out and play with blaze?

leeki pole
05-14-2008, 16:59
Outstanding, and congratulations! Nice pup!

clicker
05-15-2008, 10:38
Sheepdog- cute little pup! I have a lab springer mix that is almost 17 and a new pure lab who is 5 months old. I love the name. Have fun with it.

Wise Old Owl
05-15-2008, 11:48
Sheep Dog Anytime - just give me a PM when you are in the area. Rugby loves going out with other dogs. We got him adjusted to going to parks with other hikers so he isn't the insane teenager he once was.

AlwaysHiking
05-15-2008, 12:28
Here is little Katahdyn, call name blaze.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/4/9/2/0/katahdyn.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=24553&original=1&c=535)

Rugby looks like he needs a pal. Can he come out and play with blaze?

I love the tan, and the nose freckles too! Mine doesn't have any freckles.

SweetAss03
05-15-2008, 12:46
Rock on SheepDog. I've got a Weimaraner named Katahdin!

For these "Shelter Dog" points he is a rescue. And pretty much a mess but we are working on it. Last week was the low point as he bit my nephew right below the knee. At least I hope it is the low point. On one hand I was glad that it was family so that we haven't had to put him down. On the other hand, anymore of that hand his life will be cut pretty short.

Anyway a Springer named Katahdyn. I like it, I like it a lot

SweetAss

glacier48
05-15-2008, 15:28
I didn't know I could love a dog so much until I got my puppy. Love abounds. A past dog was named Baxter after the state park. Put the puppy in a kennel next to your bed, makes them happy every time.

Enjoy those puppy wiggles.

Glacier

sheepdog
08-15-2008, 21:35
He is getting bigger. Here is the Springer named Katahdyn at 5 months old. I forgot how much work and fun a puppy can be. We settled on a call name Blaze. His official name is "Louie's Whiteblaze Katahdyn". The first name Louie comes from my darling wife Marylou.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/4/9/2/0/img_5933.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=27021&original=1&c=553)

yappy
08-15-2008, 21:45
My dog Lulu is getting older and has arthritis etc. she is only 9 though and I am trying to prepare myself for the losing her...:( I will be completely SAD. Sorry everyone but she REALLY is just the coolest dog !..:) and the cutest puppy..haha.
enjoy the pup sheep. i like puppy breath too but i LOVE puppy bellies.. the are so cute. But, you know another thing I truely love...hikers who are dog people. Now, that is a awesome combo.

X-LinkedHiker
08-16-2008, 00:05
Great name for a hiking partner. I have the micro filter hiker series, works great.