PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Poles and Tent Grommets

theinfamousj
05-10-2008, 21:43
REI's anniversary sale sapped me of some money this weekend. I picked up a pair of their Junior Summit poles in green.

However, I now have a problem. I'm used to hiking poles with a taper tip so that I can insert them into the grommet on my tarp tent (I use The One by Gossamer Gear). These just look like the cylinder of pole has a bit of metal sand paper attached, but have no taper.

Any tips on a light weight fix for this?

ofthearth
05-11-2008, 12:48
Is the tip screw on? How is The One working out?

theinfamousj
05-11-2008, 12:55
The tip is not screw on. Wish it were. :: sigh ::

With my old hiking poles (which I foolishly gave away once I got these new ones), I really liked The One. Lighter than my bivy, more airflow, no condensation, and not as loud as it seems like it would be in the video. I think the stuff sack is the crinkliest part of the whole setup.

Though, I suppose it depends what you want a shelter for. For me, I can sleep in a bivy without claustrophobic feelings, so I like that this is lighter. I've never used a vestibule for gear storage. And I don't camp in super-windy areas. But I do encounter quite a bit of rain.

take-a-knee
05-11-2008, 13:10
Take the poles back to REI and get some that'll work. If you don't you'll eventually poke a hole in that lightweight fabric.

sofaking
05-11-2008, 13:13
try to file the pole tips down to the size you need?

beeman
05-11-2008, 13:34
Yes, I think you should exchange the poles for something else that works better.;)

chili36
05-13-2008, 18:44
Or tie a small loop to your tent grommet and slip the hiking pole through that loop. Mason line should work just fine.

theinfamousj
05-14-2008, 22:35
I tried tying a small loop with no luck. However, on an unrelated trip to Lowe's Home Improvements, I ran into some electrical wingnuts which I can slip over my hiking pole tips and they act as conical caps which allow it to slip into the grommet. They stay attached due to tension.

On an unrelated note: Does anyone know where in Lowe's to look for hardware cloth? Because I interviewed practically the entire staff and no one knew what it was, even when I described it.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 23:05
i just searched their website and nada...hmm.

Foyt20
05-15-2008, 19:46
Go to the roofing/chimney section.