PDA

View Full Version : Close encounter of the four legged kind

desdemona
05-10-2008, 23:38
We had a first today (not on the AT), but Torie met her first horses up close and personal. She was VERY curious!!! These were nice horses and were not kickers and so on, so we actually walked up behind them (owner told us to) and so forth. It went really well and Torie loves horses. Might have to get her one. ;) (I hope not as they cost more to keep. She also likes children and I have decided against them.)

Working on trail manners and commands (+socialization) has really paid off!!

--des

sofaking
05-10-2008, 23:40
walked up behind the horse? i would of told the owner to kiss my ass.

Tennessee Viking
05-11-2008, 00:00
My first time I was at Graysons, one of the ponies walked up to me and tried to eat my camera case and shirt. And I swear I didn't molest the pony to get that up close encounter.

desdemona
05-11-2008, 23:20

Well I was a little worried (due, not to kicking, but to the rear end-- and apparently one of the horses had the runs. Oh dear!) Anyway, all was ok.

BTW, the backpack came in handy for the horse runs. The trail was covered in horse dung. I could easily avoid it but I picked up Torie and carried her over it! "Leave it" is one thing but no sense in ASKING for trouble (probably much like walking behind a horse). I don't know much about horses though.

--des

sofaking
05-11-2008, 23:24
horses make for fine cuisine in france. i'm happy with glue and jello...

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2008, 10:53
Great Idea Jane! socializing your dog is a great thing to do... I run into horses on trails all the time and I would ask permission so Rugby could get up to speed.

sasquatch2014
08-24-2008, 19:06
I just got my new pup about a week or so ago. She has met cows twice each time getting a bit less nervous than the last. i have a friend who has a small farm and we took Hank over there to aquatint him to even more animal and people. He likes the horses the best. Not so sure about the pig as it made too much noise for him. He liked the goats and they wanted to play with him but he is still a bit too young for this. I think part of this will be natural to him as he's part Border Collie.

JJMcK
11-15-2008, 23:26
My dog is well aquainted with horses, as we have one. She got kicked in the head last year, by a 17 hand gelding. It didn't really phase her, but she's more careful around them now. Airedales have hard heads.

Rouen
11-16-2008, 02:01
My dog is well aquainted with horses, as we have one. She got kicked in the head last year, by a 17 hand gelding. It didn't really phase her, but she's more careful around them now. Airedales have hard heads.

Good ole terrors, dumb as rocks(in some ways), but tough as nails.

Wise Old Owl
11-28-2008, 17:07

No - give it a chance! What you do with your eyes, a dog uses his nose! They aren't saying close enough to be kicked...

It's close enough for a greeting, horse dog style.. And you know what if the human being is on top of a horse they trust and say go ahead intro your dog... great ice breaker! (As you get close bring along side.)

Hey you know what? I had more apprehension then the dog.