PDA

View Full Version : I need hiker friends in Portland, OR

skyhiker2
05-11-2008, 19:27
Hello,

Well, I up and moved to Portland by myself, (my girlfriend will be here in four weeks).. ,And I/we don't know a soul here. I thru-hiked the AT last year and realized that whiteblaze would probally be the best way to make some new friends that are into long distance hiking. (or any type of out door activity for that matter)..

To be perfectly honest "I'm a little scatter brained here" There's so much to do I just don't know where to start. (I feel like I need someone to show me the ropes)
I could just begin to go places but I would like some reassurance that I'm going to the better areas. We'll I have know Idea what else to say, so if this sounds like something your up for let me know..... ( and send me a pm so it hit's my e-mail)

Pootz
05-11-2008, 19:45
skyhiker is it really you?

mudhead
05-11-2008, 19:51
http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtdItemDetail.jsp?forge_prod=EEXAGI1aH6sA_h lF7szvQVwK%3AS&beginIndex=0&item=274&section=10096&forge_prod_pses=forge_prod%3DEEXAGI1aH6sA_hlF7szvQ VwK%253AS%7E

Go buy one of these. The non-map pages have a ton of info. Most any bookstore should have it.

Does it seem bicycle friendly there?

SawnieRobertson
05-11-2008, 20:05
Patience. The Barefoot Sage will be back as soon as she completes the trail. See her journal on TJ.--Kinnickinic

beeman
05-11-2008, 20:17
Lucky you for living in Portland, Oregon!!! Get on your Bike and ride up to Powell's Books on upper Burnside. Lock up your bike, go inside and find a book on seeing Portland from the travel section. Cool bookstore , Huh? Then get on the bike and ride over to REI on Johnson Ave to say high to the folks there, maybe post a want ad for hiking partner. Do the same at U.S. Outdoor on 219 SW Broadway. Then find a stumptown coffee house down on Fourth st. off of burnside and have a cuppa the world's best coffee and check our your book. But, if you don't like coffee, Go over to the Tea Zone and Camellia lounge at 510 NW 11th Ave and pick one of their amazing selection of teas instead. After that, call my daughter and tell her I said she would introduce you to the cool areas in Portland. E-mail me for her phone number. Have Fun.

OregonHiker
05-12-2008, 20:55
Hello,

Well, I up and moved to Portland by myself, (my girlfriend will be here in four weeks).. ,And I/we don't know a soul here. I thru-hiked the AT last year and realized that whiteblaze would probally be the best way to make some new friends that are into long distance hiking. (or any type of out door activity for that matter)..

To be perfectly honest "I'm a little scatter brained here" There's so much to do I just don't know where to start. (I feel like I need someone to show me the ropes)
I could just begin to go places but I would like some reassurance that I'm going to the better areas. We'll I have know Idea what else to say, so if this sounds like something your up for let me know..... ( and send me a pm so it hit's my e-mail)

If you want a truly unique to Oregon experience check out the are near OR 242 west of Sisters. Also the upper McKenzie River trail is awesome. A bit of a drive from Portland, but well worth it.

A-Train
05-12-2008, 21:01
I emailed you.

OregonHiker
05-12-2008, 22:23
I emailed you.

Can you cc me as I am always looking for new ideas?

Thanks

A-Train
05-12-2008, 22:31
Can you cc me as I am always looking for new ideas?

Thanks

They weren't ideas, but rather hikers I thought might help him make a smooth transition to town. Portland is saturated with thru-hikers from the big trails and there is a nice network of them out there.

OregonHiker
05-12-2008, 23:00
They weren't ideas, but rather hikers I thought might help him make a smooth transition to town. Portland is saturated with thru-hikers from the big trails and there is a nice network of them out there.

Thanks!

mudhead
05-15-2008, 11:51
If you want a truly unique to Oregon experience check out the are near OR 242 west of Sisters. Also the upper McKenzie River trail is awesome. A bit of a drive from Portland, but well worth it.

If you go here, find the hot springs near Cougar Resevoir. Also.

Lots of cool things closer to Portland, but this area should be on a "to do" list.

OregonHiker
05-15-2008, 14:01
If you go here, find the hot springs near Cougar Resevoir. Also.

Lots of cool things closer to Portland, but this area should be on a "to do" list.

Good suggestion on the Terwilliger Hot Springs. Lots of rules and closed by dusk though There is a 4 or 5 person pool near the river PM me for directions

beeman
05-23-2008, 17:24
You might really enjoy Brietenbush Hot Springs also. It is East of Salem up in the Cascades. I love that place in the winter.
Several books I can reccomend which you can find at Powell's:
60 Hiking Trails Central Oregon Cascades-Don and Roberta Lowe
100Hikes in the Central Oregon Cascades-William L. Sullivan
The Hikers Guide to Hot Springs in the Pacific Northwest-Evie Litton
Best Hikes with Children in Western and Central Oregon-Bonnie Henderson
100 Hikes in the Inland Northwest-Rich Landers and Ida Rowe Polphin

Go out and hike them and you will find the hikers, not the posers.