PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hiking

Wolf - 23000
05-11-2008, 21:12
I'm planning on thru-hiking the BMT this June. I have never done the BMT before. Is the BMT similar to the AT only with less people? Also it would be nice to hike with someone but I don’t see it happening. I travel at a good pace with an extremely light weight backpack. I only have a few days off. What is the average miles/per/day out there?

Wolf

Cuffs
05-11-2008, 21:25
Doesnt the miles per day depend on you?

Phreak
05-11-2008, 21:34
The BMT is more difficult than the AT (in my opinion), but it's still just putting one foot in front of the other.

No one can answer how many miles you'll be able to hike each day. Only you can answer that one.

Have fun on your hike! :)

SGT Rock
05-11-2008, 23:08
My opinion is the BMT is harder than the AT in some places and easier in other places. I am basically talking about the same stretch of the AT equivelent in GA, TN, and NC.

There are no shelters, no hostels, and resupply is a little harder as there's not as many places that are use to hikers coming through. But it is doable to do a thru. There are less people as you point. But some places where the BMT go through you will see lots of people like the Hiwassee river section.

I've got a PDF of my guide I'm writing you can have to do your planning.

I did it in 21 days of walking from end to end. I probably could have shaved some time off that, but hiking in winter and wanting to only walk in daylight limited my mileage. You are in good shape and have a lot of experience, so you can probably do it in 21 or better.

Wolf - 23000
05-11-2008, 23:14
Doesnt the miles per day depend on you?

Cuffs,

The amount of mile you do does depend on you of course but in the end most hikers travel around the same distance. On the AT most hikers traveled around 15 miles/day or 100 miles/week. There are of course the exceptions but it gives an idea of what to expect.

Wolf

Captain
05-12-2008, 01:07
since the trail starts where the AT ends i thought itd be a nice little detour to complete that "circle" it makes while waiting for my return home ticket to be mailed to me, left the money with my brother but since i wont know the exact date i would need till i was just nearly done i figure it would kill sometime while he arranges it for me

Tennessee Viking
05-12-2008, 01:35
I'm planning on thru-hiking the BMT this June. I have never done the BMT before. Is the BMT similar to the AT only with less people? Also it would be nice to hike with someone but I don’t see it happening. I travel at a good pace with an extremely light weight backpack. I only have a few days off. What is the average miles/per/day out there?

Wolf
Talk to Sgt Rock, he hiked the BMT for initial AT hike. And is the local guru/maintainer for the BMT

But when I hiked the GA area sections of the BMT, it follows the same route or parallels the AT for the first sections out of the Springer Mtn area. After that it stays somewhat close to civilization around Elijay/Blue Ridge/McCaysville GA area.

BMT at a lot of points connects with old timber roads and trails. There is a large road route at one point. Then coordinates with existing trails through wilderness areas and the Smokies. Its more camping than shelter living.

Once you reach the Dyer Mountain area, the BMT starts to get a bit more rustic. Although, the South Fork Jack River section is heavily visited. It soon enters the GA Cohuttas and the TN Frogs which are quite remote.

The Ocoee gorge is a nice civilized camping area.

The Slickrock/J Kilmer/Citco/Bald River Wilderness areas are some of the best wilderness camping/hiking around.

Tennessee Viking
05-12-2008, 01:41
My opinion is the BMT is harder than the AT in some places and easier in other places. I am basically talking about the same stretch of the AT equivelent in GA, TN, and NC.

There are no shelters, no hostels, and resupply is a little harder as there's not as many places that are use to hikers coming through. But it is doable to do a thru. There are less people as you point. But some places where the BMT go through you will see lots of people like the Hiwassee river section.

I've got a PDF of my guide I'm writing you can have to do your planning.

I did it in 21 days of walking from end to end. I probably could have shaved some time off that, but hiking in winter and wanting to only walk in daylight limited my mileage. You are in good shape and have a lot of experience, so you can probably do it in 21 or better.Remind me to walk your section of BMT.

I liked my visit a while back from Dyer Gap to Watson Gap. Didn't realize the Pinhotti junctions at the Jack River. Then visited most of the trail crossings at the Ocoee and the McCaysville/Elijay areas.