PDA

View Full Version : what kind of clothes for hike around Springer?

atsent
05-11-2008, 21:50
I'm planning a 5 day hike from Springer to Neel's Gap and back for next week. I've been looking at weather and although its hot during the day, it's been getting into the 40s at night around that area. Being a novice (and a generally a cold person, I might add) I feel like toting an extra fleece shirt will be better than being cold at night. What do you think?

I was going to take:
30 degree bag
1 short sleeve synthetic tshirt
1 pair shorts
3 pairs sports socks, 1 bra, 2 pair underwear
precip rain jacket
precip rain pants

Should I add a long sleeve fleece, fleece hat, gloves?

Appalachian Tater
05-11-2008, 21:54
I would always carry long polypro tops and bottoms or a wool button or zip-neck shirt or sweater, something to stay warm in if wet and cold. Since you are taking rain pants and fleece you could skip them but I would still take a long underwear top. A wool or fleece hat is always a good idea, it helps you regulate your temp without stopping walking or getting out of your sleeping bag. Remember, it doesn't have to be really cold for hypothermia to set in.

sofaking
05-11-2008, 21:55
yes. bring the extra l/s, hat and liners

modiyooch
05-11-2008, 22:06
dress in layers. It may have been hot yesterday, but I'm chilly today and I live in the foothills.

sofaking
05-11-2008, 22:27
hypothermia can set in in temps as mild as the 60's

Egads
05-12-2008, 06:48
Good question. I always bring a fleece hat, 2 Smartwool shirts & socks, a rain jacket (doubles as wind breaker, pillow, cold weather layer).

You may consider hiring a shuttle and hiking from Springer to Unicoi Gap or Dicks Creek Gap instead of the flip - flop.

Make sure you have a filter / water treatment and about 2 liters of fluids.

Enjoy

Egads

MamaCat
05-12-2008, 14:03
I like to have dual purpose stuff. I usually use a buff that I wipe sweat with or wear as a headband during the day, but on a chilly nite, it can be a hat. Also, I wrap the sleeping bag around me for an extra layer. Extra socks are good mittens. One thing I would make sure of is that all those clothes are lite. For ex. a nylon pair of shorts is way less weight than cotton and takes way less space. So I would probably not take the extra fleece, knowing what else I could use to keep warm. But this is a matter of what little you feel comfortable with and often comes down to experience in knowing how your body felt in different situations. Sorry for a less than definite answer -- hope you have fun on your trip!

envirodiver
05-12-2008, 14:14
A light fleece hat would probably be sufficient, I sleep with mine on, makes a big difference for me since I don't like the mummy bag hoods.

A long sleeve mid-weight long underwear shirt (zip-tee is my favorite cause you can unzip to vent if you hike in it). REI MTS or Patagonia capilene are both good. Great for cool mountain nights with the rain jacket shell on with that you can stay warm on cool windy nights.

I like the convertible pants that have zip off legs. Nice lightweight nylon shorts during the day. Zip the long pant portion on at night. The pant legs weigh next to nothing. Good products by North face, REI, Columbia and Ex-Officio.

I second Mama Cats use of the buff, very good multiuse head covering. Still nice to have a lighweight fleece hat for night and sleeping.

gold bond
05-12-2008, 14:44
If you have two of the same kind of zip off pants you can just carry two pants and one set of the legs as they will match up.

sofaking
05-12-2008, 14:58
If you have two of the same kind of zip off pants you can just carry two pants and one set of the legs as they will match up.
why would you want to do that?

envirodiver
05-12-2008, 15:16
why would you want to do that?

I do that for trips that I want 2 pairs of shorts. That way you only carry the 1 set of bottom portions and they will match up if they are the same brand.

sofaking
05-12-2008, 15:23
I do that for trips that I want 2 pairs of shorts. That way you only carry the 1 set of bottom portions and they will match up if they are the same brand.
i've been thinking about this...and you could have two different colors of pants, which would provide...6 different combos by mixing/matching the legs. you could put off doing laundry for weeks and be a trendsetting trail fashionista at the same time...

envirodiver
05-12-2008, 18:06
i've been thinking about this...and you could have two different colors of pants, which would provide...6 different combos by mixing/matching the legs. you could put off doing laundry for weeks and be a trendsetting trail fashionista at the same time...

You my friend are a quick study and I can see that trail fashion is not a new concept to you. However, is you only carry one set of the legs it does reduce the combinations. You carry different color legs (2), different color shorts.

sofaking
05-12-2008, 18:08
You my friend are a quick study and I can see that trail fashion is not a new concept to you. However, is you only carry one set of the legs it does reduce the combinations. You carry different color legs (2), different color shorts.
yeah, that's what i said...you guys! this is the map of one eyed willy, my dad told me about this guy!