PDA

View Full Version : Plan B for Maine, where to start?

orangebug
05-11-2008, 21:52
I am concerned with the rumors of washouts and closures with Mt K. Currently, Almost There and I are planning a SOBO section beginning June 10. We are geared up and ready to roll, but wonder if the trail will be ready, or even if safety with the streams will be an issue.

Both of us fly into Portland, with car rental and shuttles arranged to get us to Millnocket. Is is feasible, possible, reasonable - to get shuttled elsewhere (like Monson) and go SOBO from there. I'm flying out of Portland 6/22 (Saturday), so would need to figure out a new exit strategy.

Any ideas? :-?

Tin Man
05-11-2008, 23:22
You have over a month, so I wouldn't be too concerned right now. Check with Baxter State Park a week or so before you go and they can give you up-to-date info.

glacier48
05-12-2008, 09:16
I start out June 4th and am also concerned with the water situation. It was a good idea to check in with Baxter State Park in 2 to 3 weeks. Hopefully by then the water/flood situation will be under control.

My husband really wants to do the 100 mile wilderness so what can I say. Fording is in my immediate future.

Glacie:sunr

boarstone
05-12-2008, 09:28
As soon as I can, hopefully in the next day or two, I'm going to try and get into Jo-Mary to check on Cooper brook area, in 3 weeks a lot can change, roads get drier, paper companies will be fixing(hopefully) the roads, maintainers start in...K. I. is still under "re-construction" on the dirt road going in, is passable now but work continues for better ditching/drainage...logging will continue in K.I. on B-Pond rd.(turn off on Greenville/K.I. road) as soon as "mud season" is over. This will cause heavy trucking for those of you going up to Gulf Hagas/Whitecap Mt. for hiking between the gate and B-Pond turn-off.

glacier48
05-12-2008, 16:15
Thanks Boarstone for checking on the cooper brook area. Drop a thread when you come back if you don't mind. Thanks for your efforts.

Glacier

boarstone
05-12-2008, 20:42
Road into Jo-Mary is dry, rough, shoulders are still soft. The K.I. and Jo-Mary gates open for the season this Wednesday the 14th. Fees have in creased! Road intersection at the "snowplow" is washed out somewhat right where the outlet/steam out of Little Jo-Mary pond crosses the road. It's passable with care, not a car. High clearance vehicle only. Hopefully this will be fixed by the end of the month. Water levels are down to normal and unless we get another batch of 4-5" of rain again, should remain so.
I'm headed up north of Moosehead Lake to Pittston Farm for some trout fishing tomorrow a.m. Now, as anyone who has been in that area knows, THAT will be a trip to see how bad that "20 mile" road in is as it's a dirt woods road as well. :eek:

weary
05-12-2008, 23:08
I am concerned with the rumors of washouts and closures with Mt K. Currently, Almost There and I are planning a SOBO section beginning June 10. We are geared up and ready to roll, but wonder if the trail will be ready, or even if safety with the streams will be an issue.

Both of us fly into Portland, with car rental and shuttles arranged to get us to Millnocket. Is is feasible, possible, reasonable - to get shuttled elsewhere (like Monson) and go SOBO from there. I'm flying out of Portland 6/22 (Saturday), so would need to figure out a new exit strategy.

Any ideas? :-?
I wouldn't panic quite yet. The message at the MATC director's meeting a week ago was that things are melting rapidly.

A last minute switch to Monson south is possible. You have one difficult stream, but if I remember right you can bypass a ford with a few extra miles. I'll check the mileage and the details in the morning. But you probably could at least summit LIttle Bigelow, back track to the Long Falls Dam road, where any number of people will be willing to get you back to your car or to POrtland. Going all the way to Route 27 in Stratton, may be possible, though it may be a longer than I would choose for an early season hike.

As I age and have had to put up with steroid-induced diabetes for three years, I increasingly work to avoid any chance of foot blisters.

Weary

glacier48
05-13-2008, 08:01
Thanks Boarstone and Weary for the updates I will stay tuned for any updates, you guys go above and beyond. Thanks from us that are soon hiking and driving that area.

Glacier

orangebug
05-13-2008, 09:08
I greatly appreciate the local observations and advice. I am somewhat ambivalent on hitting Mt K before I've done the rest of my sections, but this is a nice opportunity while I'm still photogenic.

TJ aka Teej
05-13-2008, 09:31
The road repair on the BSP tote is "going well" and both the Katahdin Stream and Abol Campgrounds should be open next weekend, but with all trails up Katahdin still closed at trailhead. Some of the washouts revealed the old corduroy roads from the logging era.
June southbounders should be OK, OB - but consider heading north from Monson to Katahdin if conditions still worry you come June.

boarstone
05-14-2008, 10:54
Speaking of high water...when I was up to Seboomook/south branch of the Penobscot/Canada Falls, Pittston Farm area, the causeway across the cove where the now abandoned Seboomook Rd is, is washed out.:( About 60' of the road is gone! First time in the history of the road it has done so. So needless to say, anyone who knows of the area and use to ride this road to hunt/fish/camp...can't anymore from the Pittston end and the other end by the gatehouse (the "cut off road") has been abandoned and washed out for some time. Boat across now..great hiking though!:D

glacier48
05-14-2008, 12:47
Hey Boarstone,

You are terrific, where us Mainers be without up. Literally up the creek I guess. Thanks for the informative updates.

Glacier