PDA

View Full Version : Hiking and Flying

modiyooch
05-11-2008, 22:21
Last summer, flying back from Manchester, the attendant would not let me check my stove. It's the small stove that screws onto the fuel. I knew enough not to take fuel.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

BTW, I didn't know what to do with the stove and my plane was boarding so I placed it on the xray belt and they let me carry it on the plane. Go figure.

Also, my ankles swelled for the first time. Would you say this was from flying or hiking?

Shiraz-mataz
05-12-2008, 06:18
They wouldn't let you check it in your baggage but did let you keep it in your carry-on? That's weird... Any of those screw on burners would make excellent weapons with their pointy fold out pot stands!

Tractor
05-12-2008, 07:15
Last year I fly as well. Before going up I researched and found some folks had experienced a problem and some had not. I also got mixed information directly from airport security. I mailed my stove ahead and mailed it back. Bought fuel along the way.

mudhead
05-12-2008, 09:45
Also, my ankles swelled for the first time. Would you say this was from flying or hiking?

Common for me on longer flights. Walking during helped.

Looks pretty freaking scary!

sofaking
05-12-2008, 09:49
Last summer, flying back from Manchester,
my ankles swelled for the first time. Would you say this was from flying or hiking?
i'd imagine your arms might get tired , i have no idea why your ankles swelled.

Cookerhiker
05-12-2008, 15:23
I looked into this a few years ago. Unless regs have changed recently, there's no DHS rule per se prohibiting stoves but individual airlines have their own rules. I'm very surprised that your airline told you a screw-on stove top wasn't permitted. I know you didn't have much time but did you challenge them, ask to see their rules, speak to a supervisor?

trailmomma4
05-12-2008, 15:28
My better half flew to Idaho in 05 and had no prob getting his stove checked in ATL, but when boarding the return it was confiscated. I think it really depends on the airport and the person checking you.

jigsaw
05-12-2008, 17:19
ive flown the past 6 years never had a problem i just packed it down in my pack along with my knife and lighter no problem