PDA

View Full Version : tent for the tropics - hot and humid

anarky321
05-11-2008, 22:23
im going to be using the rent in hot nights and very humid temps with possibly lots of rain

what i want: a double-wall with lots of mesh and a full coverage fly; about 7x4ft (82x50in); and in a dark earthly color - dark green, black, brown

should i be looking at something thats all mesh like the Hubba Hubba?

anyone with camping experience in the tropics?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-11-2008, 22:31
I'm not one to normally suggest a hammock when someone ask about a tent, but this is one time I will. You can't beat a hammock for the tropics - hanging in midair with the breeze blowing all around you is much cooler than any tent and you have no chance of having water from a heavy downpour running into your tent.

Two Speed
05-11-2008, 22:35
Umm, ya reckon that's why native indians in South America frequently used/developed hammocks and Inuit didn't?

Just sayin. ;)

anarky321
05-11-2008, 22:38
i tried hammocks...i really did, it REALLY didnt work (i just sold my hennessy); so no hammocks for me

anarky321
05-11-2008, 22:40
i keep looking at the REI Quarter Dome T2 video and it has 2 entrances - one on each side, and its all mesh which means that if you left the fly open on both sides there'd be good airflow going through it...

anarky321
05-11-2008, 22:51
looked at the Hubba Hubba; also all mesh and 2 doors...they're actually pretty equivalent tents

Tinker
05-11-2008, 23:31
Dark colors will attract and hold heat. Grey might be a better color if you're considering fitting in with your surroundings. You could get an REI Bug Hut 2 and rig a fly over it. The pole configuration will allow you to pitch the fly up high for ventilation or down to the ground for windblown rain. I used my Walrus Bug Hut 2 (Walrus was acquired by REI) with a 10x12 Equinox silnylon tarp (light green) on a hotter than usual week in Maine and was able to get just the right amount of ventilation and rain protection by pitching the tarp in the correct configuration for the situation. It was tight but manageable for me (210 lbs. 5' ll") and my son (6'3" and 200lbs.).

anarky321
05-11-2008, 23:48
i dont want to get the fly and tent separate; and i looked at the bug hut before actually; didnt like the pole design

theinfamousj
05-11-2008, 23:50
I have no experience spending the night in the tropics, but my roommate does!

She works with many orphanage volunteer agencies and recently returned from a trip to the Dominican Republic.

She highly recommends a hammock and tells interesting stories of those who brought tents instead. She says that the locals use hammocks for the airflow and, in her words, when in Rome ...

As for rain, she says this, "It really isn't that bad if you are camping under trees, which you have to do to be in a hammock. Usually, I just snuggle down under my sleeping bag and it is fine. I suppose you could throw a poncho tarp on top of you when it starts raining if you are that concerned about your pillow getting wet."

She also wanted to know where abouts you were going, so she could give more localized advice.

Jimmers
05-11-2008, 23:55
Honestly, if you're in the tropics your best bet for keeping relatively cool is either a hammock or a tarp/ stand alone bug net combo. I've used a lot of tents over the years, both backpacking and car camping, and I've yet to find one that's comfortable in high humidity and heat. They all start to feel like a sweat lodge after a while to me.

wahoo
05-14-2008, 22:23
For hot and humid weather nothing will beat a hammock for comfort. I'm down here in Florida and it's pretty much always hot with tons of humidity. If you haven't tried a hammock, give it a shot. Others might look at you weird at first, but they will envy you after a night or two of sweating and being downright miserable...!

wahoo
05-14-2008, 22:31
Whoops, I see in a previous post you have tried hammocks. Every tent I've been in turns into a sauna after a few hours, with condensation all over everything inside. I'm glad I gave tents up. You can go with the Hubba Hubba, but you better stick that rainfly on it every night or else you are going to be jumping up in the middle of the night when it starts raining.

anarky321
05-14-2008, 22:34
i see you havent read the thread - i mentioned numerious times ive tried many hammocks and hated it

im actually going to the big cypress area around mid-august..i envy you..you live in one of the most stable and comfortable climates in the world (i love hot and humid...many do not)

i went to northern guatemala once (about as flat as florida and low elevation), 30 degrees celsius every day and high humidity always, rain every day...you dont even need clothes to backpack there...but the monkeys look at you strange

anarky321
05-14-2008, 22:38
Whoops, I see in a previous post you have tried hammocks. Every tent I've been in turns into a sauna after a few hours, with condensation all over everything inside. I'm glad I gave tents up. You can go with the Hubba Hubba, but you better stick that rainfly on it every night or else you are going to be jumping up in the middle of the night when it starts raining.

i bought the hubba hubba today actually...so far very pleased

AlwaysHiking
05-14-2008, 22:50
im going to be using the rent in hot nights and very humid temps with possibly lots of rain

what i want: a double-wall with lots of mesh and a full coverage fly; about 7x4ft (82x50in); and in a dark earthly color - dark green, black, brown

should i be looking at something thats all mesh like the Hubba Hubba?

anyone with camping experience in the tropics?

even with a 6lb tent my total pack weight is below 20lbs with food and water included; im willing to cut corners on other stuff for a good shelter and i really like the concept of no poles to set up; i dont consider a tarptent a real shelter; not something id spend 3 rainy days in; ill only be in a hot climate with it so no sleeping bag, no bivvy, no inflatable pad, no rain gear, etc. ; it allows you to travel light even with a heavier tent

if i was hiking in the northeast yes i would have picked something about 3-4lbs; they actually have a 3lb inflatable Nemo tent; i forget what its called, but its too small for what i need

If you're OK during the day without any protection, then I'd say you're making too big a deal over the tent.

Anyhow, tent with lots of mesh, not caring too much about weight, then I'd check out the Big Agnes Emerald Mountain SL3, it has double doors. If that's something you can do without, then check out the Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 or 2. Lots of mesh on those too, just don't have the double doors.

anarky321
05-14-2008, 22:54
i already bought the hubba hubba, but those are also good alternatives, i was seriously considering the emerald mountain sl3 before i bought it, but im very happy with my choice so far

4eyedbuzzard
05-14-2008, 23:25
i dont want to get the fly and tent separate; and i looked at the bug hut before actually; didnt like the pole design

Just FWIW, the intersecting arc design used in the Bug Hut was used by Moss on a lot of their smaller tents, which were amongst the best tents ever made. Great fabric tensioning with that set-up. I had a Starlet and it was rock solid in extremely high winds where lesser tents would flatten out, break poles, etc. The only reason I sold it is it was kind of heavy for one person(5.5 lbs) and it was too small to realistically be a two person tent. I'm actually considering buying a Bug Hut and using a tarp like Tinker for a two person set up, and possibly custom sewing a silnylon fly to fit. The other plus is the Bug Hut is free standing and can be quickly and easily set up anywhere for bug protection even if there is a roof/shelter already overhead.

There are certainly many good reasons not to go with the Bug Hut/tarp set-up, and there are many alternatives, but the pole design is first rate.

take-a-knee
05-15-2008, 00:09
i tried hammocks...i really did, it REALLY didnt work (i just sold my hennessy); so no hammocks for me

Well, your life will suck until you get home then, I've been to a few places in Central and South America. Your choices will be between being consumed by insects of dying of hyperthermia, you can't remain in any tent in most places near sea level for much of the year, the heat will drive you out of it.

Give the hammock an honest try or stay home, or stay in good hotels.

anarky321
05-15-2008, 01:15
Well, your life will suck until you get home then, I've been to a few places in Central and South America. Your choices will be between being consumed by insects of dying of hyperthermia, you can't remain in any tent in most places near sea level for much of the year, the heat will drive you out of it.

Give the hammock an honest try or stay home, or stay in good hotels.

different people tolerate heat differently; there is also a 10-15 day aclimatization period (average) before a person adjusts physically to the high-heat conditions, which is why the heat seems unbearable at first for tourists (among other reasons)

just as an example, im tall and very skinny, my body surface area is very high compared to someone even lightly overweight or muscularly-built, which means that physically my body is able to dissipate heat much more efficiently; im just pointing it out because many people on here tend to generalize concepts like "too heavy" and "too hot" without taking into consideration the many variables that factor into it: body shape, age, skin color, pre/post adaptation period, wearing the right clothing, etc. ETC.

like i said ive been in climates where most tourists dont leave their air-conditioned hotels during mid-day; everyone tolerates heat differently, i happen to tolerate it very well so im a bit bewildered at the "use a hammock or die of heat/stay home" recommendations

ps; your right about the insects though...they become very very annoying

take-a-knee
05-15-2008, 01:26
different people tolerate heat differently; there is also a 10-15 day aclimatization period (average) before a person adjusts physically to the high-heat conditions, which is why the heat seems unbearable at first for tourists (among other reasons)

just as an example, im tall and very skinny, my body surface area is very high compared to someone even lightly overweight or muscularly-built, which means that physically my body is able to dissipate heat much more efficiently; im just pointing it out because many people on here tend to generalize concepts like "too heavy" and "too hot" without taking into consideration the many variables that factor into it: body shape, age, skin color, pre/post adaptation period, wearing the right clothing, etc. ETC.

like i said ive been in climates where most tourists dont leave their air-conditioned hotels during mid-day; everyone tolerates heat differently, i happen to tolerate it very well so im a bit bewildered at the "use a hammock or die of heat/stay home" recommendations

ps; your right about the insects though...they become very very annoying

Okay bro, I'm 5'8"/166#, grew up in the south, and framed and roofed houses for years, I think I've been hot once or twice.

You may be right, if you will be at any significant altitude your problem may be staying warm and a Hubba will work well. I think I'd pick something that wasn't orange though. S. America isn't Pakistan but I'll always remember what happened to Ned Gillete.

anarky321
05-15-2008, 01:47
setting up my orange tent in medium-dense foliage i couldnt see it from 40 meters away; in any case, im not going to south america or pakistan so i guess ill risk it although i fully understand the security risks of camping in such areas and if i did go to such a place i would take precautionary measures (camo fly and a firearm at least)

ps: i think thats the first time someone over 40 called me 'bro' lol