PDA

View Full Version : Rhubarb Leather - Easy & Very Tasty!

sarbar
05-12-2008, 00:38
Rhubarb is a perfect 'lazy' plant. Once it is established you can pretty much do nothing for it and it will come back every year. Spring is its time to shine - once it gets hot it goes to seed. Our cold spring (has winter ended? hah!) has been producing a great crop. I was out weeding and was thinking of ideas for using up the ample harvest. I hadn't tried rhubarb leather so I thought...why not?

For harvesting the rhubarb, all you need to do is snap the stalks at the base or tug lightly - they will pop right off. For most people they will never see Rhubarb with leaves on - the leaf part is poisonous, so promptly go over to your yard waste bin and snap off the leaf part.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Food%20photos/rubarb.jpg

I rinsed the Rhubarb well and let drip dry. Weighing it out I had about 2 lbs of trimmed stalks. I cut it up into small chunks (about 6-7 or so cups in volume). I placed the Rhubarb into a non-reactive large saucepan with 2 cups water and 1 cinnamon stick. Covered I brought it to a boil, then turned down to medium low heat and simmered for 15 minutes. At that point I took the lid off and cooked for another 30 or so minutes. This helps cook the water off so you have a thick applesauce like texture. For my personal taste I added in 1 cup white sugar and let simmer a bit more. Depending on how tart you like it, start with 1/2 cup sugar and add to taste. The Rhubarb will have fallen into thin shreds with no lumps.

I lined the dehydrator trays with parchment paper (I used a rectangle shaped L'EQUIP dryer). Each tray was two servings. I poured 1/3 cup sauce onto each section. They were dried at 135* for about 9 hours. In the last couple hours once they were tacky (not wet) I flipped them over to get better exposure to the heat.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Food%20photos/rhubarb_drying.jpg

Once dry (no wet spots, still soft in texture but dry) I let cool at room temperature. A couple hours later I came back and peeled the parchment paper off.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Food%20photos/rhubarb_leather.jpg

To make fruit rolls cut a piece of plastic wrap a bit bigger, lay the leather on it then lay the extra plastic over the edge then start rolling up like a cigar. This way the leather is touching plastic wrap and won't stick.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/NWHikergirl/Food%20photos/Rolledrhubarb.jpg

To preserve the shelf life store them in the refrigerator. Not that they will last long! They are delicious!

~Sarah

tiptoe
05-17-2008, 20:51
Great idea, Sarbar. I was just contemplating my rhubarb plants today and thinking, what else can I make with this stuff besides stewed rhubarb (pie is too rich). I'll certainly take some along on my section hike this summer.

Farr Away
05-20-2008, 00:30
Rhubarb and strawberries make a wonderful pie. Bet the combination would make a tasty leather too.

sheepdog
05-20-2008, 08:04
There is not anything much better than strawberry rhubarb jam. Rhubarb leather sounds good.

sofaking
05-20-2008, 08:13
'woke up this mornin...with the blues...got myself up and put on my rhubarb shoes...'

Frau
05-20-2008, 08:20
So many times I have tried to get rhubarb started in my yard. Three at my current home, and three times in a prior home. They don't like red VA clay combined with full sun and dogs!! Now I buy rhurbarb in the store.

I have to grow my currants in 50% shade and I imagine I might have better success with the rhubarb if I stuck a plant in that same sort of location.

Thanks for the instructions. I LOVE stewed rhubarb!

Frau

sarbar
05-20-2008, 10:43
I am waiting for batch #2 of rhubarb to get mature then yum! I figure strawberry-rhubarb jam would be ever so tasty :D I love making jam...still eating last falls run of huckleberry jam - made from all the berries I picked on the flanks of Mt. Rainier. That stuff is like gold!
Rhubarb grows like a weed here. I walk our neighborhood daily and what I am noticing is how many plants there are that most likely the owner hasn't a clue what it is. Sigh! It is like seeing apple trees going to waste. Agh! Time to go mooching for nature's bounty :D

tiptoe
06-02-2008, 14:41
I made rhubarb fruit leather yesterday with 18 stalks of rhubarb, a little water, and just under a cup of sugar. I dried it overnight for approx. 13 hours at 145 degrees. I woke up half-expecting to find a sticky mess, but was pleaseantly surprised. The leather peeled right off the Teflon sheets and rolled up easily. Thanks again, Sarbar.

Christopher Robin
06-02-2008, 15:23
I cut my rhubarb, w/ a knife about 1 1/2 from the bottom so it will grow more. The other week I to had a pound for rhubaba & a 1qut. os strawberrys. I cut rhubarb 1/2in. thick & stawberrys in half, put in a saucepan w/a little water, 1 cup of sugar & 2Tbs. tabioca, cover it & let sumer until cooked. I made a open pie w/it, but sarbar's idea to make roll-ups is great for a traet on the trail. Thank you sarbar.