PDA

View Full Version : Millinocket services and hitching possibilites

German Tourist
05-12-2008, 06:24
I am planning a sobo thruhike and will fly into Bangor from Europe. I have all reservations for Kathadin made already, so my biggest concern now is resupply.

I have a little bit of time in Bangor to do my resupply before I catch the bus to Medway, but I would rather do the resupply for my first long AT stretch in Millinocket.

My question now is:

Are the supermarkets in Millinocket big enough (= having an ample selection) for doing a big resupply?

And if not: Is there a supermarket in Bangor that is either convenient for the airport or the bus station? I do not want to rent a car in Bangor!

How difficult would it be to hitch from Millinocket to Baxter State Park? I am aware of the Appalachian Trail Lodges' thruhiker special, but they deliver people in the morning and want to go in the afternoon after doing my resupply.

Greetings from Germany,
Christine aka German Tourist

KG4FAM
05-12-2008, 07:54
Hitching is easy in Milinocket. When I was up there I hitched from Orono (near Bangor) to Katahdin Stream Campground with 4 rides. The weather was better for the next day so I hiked to Abol Bridge that day and hitched back to town to get some things. I then hitched out to the random woods near the park and the next morning hitched in the park. After I climbed Katahdin I hitched back around to Abol Bridge. I never waited long. People around there are real friendly and they know what is going on with us hikers.

The supermarket there is a regular sized store so you will have no problems supplying there

TJ aka Teej
05-12-2008, 08:06
Hi Christine
You do know the bus gets in to Medway, 10 miles or so from Millinocket, at about 7:30 PM? There are two pretty good supermarkets just past Baxter Park HQ and the McDonald's. As 33W says, hitching to BSP is easy, seeing as how most folks who are heading out of town in that direction are going at least near the Park entrance if not into the Park itself. If you're staying at the AT Lodge (of any motel) ask around or at the front desk first though, you might hook up with a good ride.

mudhead
05-12-2008, 09:08
The grocery store, Hannaford, that is very close to the Bangor airport, while large, is very poor. Captive audience.

Epic Sports is smack downtown Bangor. Aubuchon Hardware close to Epic.

Bangor, ME is not a huge place, a taxi would work better than a car rental.

Have fun.

minnesotasmith
05-12-2008, 09:31
You may not like some of our foods very much, so ordering some comfort foods to be shipped may be something you'll want to do. Our (nonimported) sausage, beer, and bread in particular are likely to be below your standards. There are whole-grain shelf-stable breads (one brand is Mestemacher -- German, perhaps?) that I found to be useful, healthy, and palatable. Thus, you may wat to bring some of a few critical Also, our potato salads are different from yours, being normally either mayonnaise- or mustard-based, not vinegar-based as you are probably accustomed to, so don't buy a big container of it without trying it first.

Lastly, we're more uptight about drinking here. The alcohol content on our beer is much lower than many of your country's beers, you can't get booze as many places, you often can't drink it in public without cop trouble, and generally bringing your own alcohol into other places of business (whether or not they sell it) is usually a bad idea. I suggest asking other hikers how all this works in our country, til you get used to it.

Lastly, I've been wondering about a German food item. In "All Quiet on the Western Front", there is a reference to vegetable sausage. It sounded shelf-stable and a potentially handy trail food. I have not been able to find any for sale anywhere. Any information you could give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck on your upcoming hike.

German Tourist
05-12-2008, 10:53
Minnesotasmith,

I should have written that I already thruhiked the PCT (04) and the CDT (07), so I am already used to American food.
You are absolutely right what you said about bread. For a German American bread is a catastrophe and this is one of the items I am missing most. Also American chocolate is pretty bad quality and expensive compared to Germany. But you have Nutella now, so all is well!
I know also about your drinking laws, but I hardly drink alcohol so it doesn't really matter to me anyway.
American Lipton sidedishes and Idahoan mashed potatoes make an ok diet for me, but what always surprised me is the fact that there are no Liptons with tomatoe sauce.
I have no clue about the vegetable sausage you are referring, too. It was probably a military food item, but it is not sold or eaten here. Again, German sausage is some of the best in the world, so Germans wouldn't go for vegetable sausage.

Thank you very much for your answer,

mudhead
05-12-2008, 11:01
I don't think I would go for vegetable sausage, either.

Waxy chocolate is fun, but you already know that!

Red Hat
05-12-2008, 19:19
Not sure what day you plan on going, but the lodge agreed to deliver me in the afternoon on June 30th.

German Tourist
05-13-2008, 01:58
Red Hat,

thank you for that info - I had just inquired when they are delivering people and they told me in the morning.

I will mail them again and ask for a later delivery time - thanks for the idea.

Bare Bear
05-15-2008, 18:46
I found that posting a sign at the front desk and hanging out there got me rides relatively easily..... At the beginning of a hike it is always easier thant he end :) Thank GOD for open pick up trucks for hikers.