PDA

View Full Version : Annual Take a Hoe Hiking Day

Old Hillwalker
05-12-2008, 06:29
Yesterday while on my fourth day this spring cleaning out waterbars and trail drainage it occurred to me that "National Trails day", June 6th could correspond with a "National Take a Hoe hiking Day". Then maybe we could have a bit more successful drainage and less erosion happening on the trail. My Hoe is a skinny little thing that is easy to hike with and has great fun in the mud.

sasquatch2014
05-12-2008, 07:33
I think this is a great day it can couple with "Child Slave Labor Appreciation Day". When I take my Hoe out on the trail I like to bring my kids with me and make it a family activity. the little buggers can work and they are lower to the ground so picking up things is easier for them, so that is a bonus as well.

generoll
05-12-2008, 09:43
didn't Don Imus get in trouble for something like this?

Gray Blazer
05-12-2008, 09:48
Just don't yell "Hoe Down!!" Have fun!!

sofaking
05-12-2008, 09:57
I think this is a great day it can couple with "Child Slave Labor Appreciation Day". When I take my Hoe out on the trail I like to bring my kids with me and make it a family activity. the little buggers can work and they are lower to the ground so picking up things is easier for them, so that is a bonus as well.
do you leash them or use electronic collars? mine always try to make a run for it, and they're quick little buggers. never let them 'shake the tree' out of your sight either, it's a ruse- they'll try to make a break for it.

leeki pole
05-12-2008, 09:58
Apropos of nothing whatsoever, June 6th is my wedding anniversary. Do you really think I shoud take a hoe hiking?:p

sofaking
05-12-2008, 09:59
Apropos of nothing whatsoever, June 6th is my wedding anniversary. Do you really think I shoud take a hoe hiking?:p
only if your wife is down with that kind of thang

k-n
05-12-2008, 10:05
this is not gonna end well.

sofaking
05-12-2008, 10:11
didn't start too badly

minnesotasmith
05-12-2008, 10:15
Might last longer before Sgt. Rock strangles it in its sleep if it'd been started in Humor.

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2008, 23:40
Ohh my - good thing there isn't too many street corners on the AT.

Old Hillwalker
05-13-2008, 06:19
I used to use a Hazel Hoe, but found that it splashed too much mud back at me. Now I use a hoe from Forestry Supply call a Rogue Hoe.

http://www.benmeadows.com/search/Fire+fighting+Tools/22188/

One of my friends named her "Nappy", but I wouldn't know about that.....Claimed that since the other was "Hazel" this one needed a name too.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-13-2008, 06:31
This Dino used to use a sling-blade (http://www.hisco-okc.com/images/products/HIWC30L.jpg)(weed cutter) (http://www.hisco-okc.com/images/products/HIWC30L.jpg) instead of a hiking staff when dayhiking quite a bit before Fate forced her to use an off-set cane instead.

Dances with Mice
05-13-2008, 07:43
I need to buy a small storage shed for my tools.

What's the best little hoe house?

Gray Blazer
05-13-2008, 07:58
I need to buy a small storage shed for my tools.

What's the best little hoe house?

Thanks for the mental picture of Burt Reynolds singing. Almost as good as Dirty Harry singing in Paint You Wagon. No, I don't feel lucky.

sofaking
05-13-2008, 08:08
i like to treat a hoe like a hoe, cuss at it, throw it around and leave it locked in the shed where it belongs. a pulaski or mattock is a real tool.

Flush2wice
05-13-2008, 08:09
I use cheap hoes when I go into the backcountry. Save the high priced ones for the city.

take-a-knee
05-13-2008, 09:19
This Dino used to use a sling-blade (http://www.hisco-okc.com/images/products/HIWC30L.jpg)(weed cutter) (http://www.hisco-okc.com/images/products/HIWC30L.jpg) instead of a hiking staff when dayhiking quite a bit before Fate forced her to use an off-set cane instead.

Some call it a sling-blade, I call it a Kaiser myself.

take-a-knee
05-13-2008, 09:19

I think he got in trouble for the nappy-headed part.

sofaking
05-13-2008, 10:07
i'd like to get me some of them there french fried taters, mmmm hmmm.

bigmac_in
05-13-2008, 10:16
i'd like to get me some of them there french fried taters, mmmm hmmm.

I knew that had to be coming.......

sofaking
05-13-2008, 10:28
I knew that had to be coming.......
yep, mmm hmmm. i don't reckon most folks would disagree.

KnowledgeEngine
05-13-2008, 11:20
Does anyone have a hoe they have used, and don't want anymore? If you have pictures of the hoe I might be willing to lease it from you for a overnighter. All depends on how the hoe looks. Also looking for a hoe I can easily attach a used mop head on, so as to be able to call it "My nappy headed hoe"

sofaking
05-13-2008, 11:35
most used hoes are in pretty rough shape. i'd recommend getting a new hoe and treating it with a minimal amount of respect, since the less abuse it suffers the longer it will be of service. putting a wig on a hoe is just frivolous- it doesn't improve it's function or change the fact that its still just a hoe in a wig.

mudhead
05-13-2008, 12:23
Please be PC.

Garden Implement.

leeki pole
05-13-2008, 12:56
Does anyone have a hoe they have used, and don't want anymore? If you have pictures of the hoe I might be willing to lease it from you for a overnighter. All depends on how the hoe looks. Also looking for a hoe I can easily attach a used mop head on, so as to be able to call it "My nappy headed hoe"
For the entreprenurial sorts, this could be an opportunity. One could set up a booth at a trailhead with hoes and encourage hikers to lease the hoe for the day, with a return booth down the trail a piece. This would alleviate the need to actually bring your hoe with you, do the required maintenance, and return it for a small security deposit, with no baggage as would be required carrying your hoe back home with you.

sasquatch2014
05-13-2008, 13:04
For the entreprenurial sorts, this could be an opportunity. One could set up a booth at a trailhead with hoes and encourage hikers to lease the hoe for the day, with a return booth down the trail a piece. This would alleviate the need to actually bring your hoe with you, do the required maintenance, and return it for a small security deposit, with no baggage as would be required carrying your hoe back home with you.

Yeah I hate a Hoe that comes with extra baggage. :D

Gray Blazer
05-13-2008, 14:20
Yeah I hate a Hoe that comes with extra baggage. :D
Amen, Brother Ben!!

superman
05-13-2008, 14:29
This is just a note of caution. If you don't use your hoe enough... another man will.

sasquatch2014
05-13-2008, 14:45
This is just a note of caution. If you don't use your hoe enough... another man will.

You have to be considerate though too much use and your hoe may just snap.

Rain Man
05-13-2008, 15:27
For those of you with cable television, Chicago's "super station" WGN carries this Canadian sit-com, which I consider some of the best stuff on the boob tube.

Corner Gas (http://www.cornergas.com/)

Anyway, their episode on erecting "the world's biggest hoe" to attract tourists to their little town of "Dog River" had more innuendo than you can shake a hoe at.

Rain:sunMan

dessertrat
05-13-2008, 16:12
This Dino used to use a sling-blade (http://www.hisco-okc.com/images/products/HIWC30L.jpg)(weed cutter) (http://www.hisco-okc.com/images/products/HIWC30L.jpg)instead of a hiking staff when dayhiking quite a bit before Fate forced her to use an off-set cane instead.

Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade. Urrrrmmm.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-13-2008, 16:16
::: Dino peeks over trifocals at this thread and thinks she should use weed cutter the clean out some minds - and we know where guys' brains are :D :::

envirodiver
05-13-2008, 16:17

Mmmmmmhhuuhhhh I recken you would.

KnowledgeEngine
05-13-2008, 17:04
Sling Blade was filmed where I grew up. That movie has a lot of memories for me, because it is the only film of a lot of places that were tore down for expansion, etc.
The town is Benton, AR. It is a suburb of Little Rock, where I now live.

Sling Blade Movie (http://www.billybobthornton.net/film%20slingblade.htm)

And in my response to the above poster stating used hoes are in rough shape...
I find sometimes a new hoe doesn't like to perform like every man knows a hoe should, most used hoes are used to being a hoe, and hence give better performance. You shouldn't be so critical of looks when choosing a hoe. It is a hoe after all. A used one that is rough around the edges can give you just as much pleasure as a new one.

Just make sure when using a rough, used hoe you are up on all your vaccinations & shots. If your hoe cuts you technis is just one thing to be worried about.

leeki pole
05-13-2008, 17:25
My granddaddy gave me my first hoe. I still have that hoe, and even though the hoe is worn down, the hoe's features are smooth as silk after 80 years of TLC. My hoe still performs quite well. Take care of your hoe, keep that hoe clean and a hoe will give you many, many years of service. A good hoe will never let you down, and you can pass a good, well preserved hoe on long after you no longer need that hoe.

HYOH
05-13-2008, 18:13
Shouldn't this thread be in the "Sexist Hikers Forum" ?

sofaking
05-13-2008, 18:32
don't you need to be a donating member for that?

sheepdog
05-13-2008, 20:59
I think I will leave this thread alone.

Bluez4u
05-13-2008, 22:45
A clean hoe is a happy hoe !!!!

mkmangold
05-14-2008, 14:21

I'm not sure where that came from.
I am interested in the real ideas here. I no longer carry one because of the weight but I used to have a camp shovel that could bend at the neck and be used as a hoe. I bought it at an Army surplus store. There really in nothing like a multi-use hoe that bends in all the right places and is no longer used by the military.

uwharriebackpacker
05-14-2008, 15:51
just remember....if you get all sweaty after working your hoe for a long period of time without proper "protection" ( gloves ) be prepared for nasty painful blisters. haha....try explaining that to your spouse......hmmmm..and how did you get those blisters ??

Wise Old Owl
05-14-2008, 15:57

Now you did it! every time someone Googles or Yahoo's My N H Hoe they are going to get redirected to WB! I can see it now WB on national television followed by National Lampoon. Don't tell me "I told you so" when a nice Reverend from the Naacp comes knocking around here.

Just Plain Jim
05-14-2008, 16:06
After reading all of these responses, I think I'm getting turned-on.................................to gardening. :sun

leeki pole
05-14-2008, 16:26
I'm not sure where that came from.
I am interested in the real ideas here. I no longer carry one because of the weight but I used to have a camp shovel that could bend at the neck and be used as a hoe. I bought it at an Army surplus store. There really in nothing like a multi-use hoe that bends in all the right places and is no longer used by the military.
Ah, the famed "entrenching tool," that is an excellent substitute for a hoe around camp or on the trail. I have one as well. It indeed is very versatile and flexible.