PDA

View Full Version : Abol Bridge to Monson

glacier48
05-12-2008, 08:05
Hey there anyone who can help,

Has anyone hiked the Abol to Monson section in Maine yet this year? I was wondering about the water levels in the streams. How crossable are they?
Any one out there?
:sun
Glacier
Only 3 weeks 2 days before I leave, I could just **** myself.

boarstone
05-12-2008, 09:31
THIS YEAR? Surely you jest...not hardly...

Blaze
05-12-2008, 09:43
Hey there anyone who can help,

Has anyone hiked the Abol to Monson section in Maine yet this year? I was wondering about the water levels in the streams. How crossable are they?
Any one out there?
:sun
Glacier
Only 3 weeks 2 days before I leave, I could just **** myself.

I'm looking at doing the 100 mile wilderness solo myself this year? Wife can't get the time off :(
But I'm currently fixing my barn's foundation from all the RECORD SNOW FALL this year here in Maine? I think its a little early? :confused:

glacier48
05-12-2008, 13:53
Yeah I figured there was little chance anyone had done it yet and then had a chance to come home and post but a girl can hope. I will call Baxter State Park before departure.

Glacier

Uncle Tom
05-12-2008, 14:43
We had record breaking snow levels in Northern ME this year, plus 5 " of rain that fell on a Tuesday less than 2 weeks ago. Fort Kent had the worst flooding in 30 years, with 600 homes flooded. You will be walking though deep stream crossings when you are not completely in mud. This year's black flies are the worst i can remember. Be sure to bring a bug shirt for the 100 mile wilderness. I plan on hiking in Western Maine ( Grafton Loop Trail) over 8 miles on the AT weekend of May 23- 26, will let you know that section's conditions. Best to call Paul ( Old Man) of the AT Lodge in Millinocket at 207-723-4312 if you really want to know. I was riding past Mt. Washington yesterday on my motorcycle and there is still tons of snow on the peaks, with tons of people still skiing on Tuckerman's ravine.

glacier48
05-12-2008, 15:08
Thanks for the update Uncle Tom. I figured the news would be what you reported. Hopefully by June 4 the streams will have gone down some. I am not worried about fording with my husband but fording alone makes me a little nervous. Oh well, I will have to get over it. There is alot of unknown out there, fording is just one. I just need to get my confidence up.

thanks again,
Glacier