PDA

View Full Version : Plane wreck history

Mrs Baggins
05-12-2008, 08:52
Anyone know the history behind that plane wreckage in the Smokies? I believe it was just down from the top of Mt. Guyot going northbound. It doesn't look all that old but then again maybe it is. Creeps you out to see it but no one we met knew anything about it.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-12-2008, 09:57
From Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Black_%28Great_Smoky_Mountains%29):
In 1984, an F4 fighter plane crashed into the ridge between Inadu Knob and Old Black. Some of the wreckage from this crash remains scattered about the area, with a number of fragments located in an area along the Appalachian Trail about a quarter-mile west of the trail's junction with the Snake Den Ridge Trail. A short spur trail winds through the wreckage.

chili36
05-12-2008, 10:23
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Black_(Great_Smoky_Mountains)

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2008, 10:43
I am quoting Capt here - We talked about this several months ago. Apparently it happens enough the Govt has a interesting policy. There are numerous crashes and they only clean up a few. If you follow the thread I even provide a Google earth picture.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12372&highlight=plane+wreck&page=2 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12372&highlight=plane+wreck&page=2)

I don't know of old stories but I was very surprised when we were backpacking several years ago from New Found Gap to Cades Cove the shelter going west right before you go over Thunderhead Mtn and Rocky Top we saw a young ranger who was hunting hogs with a 12 gage shotgun.

We were talking about the trail and we asked if any planes ever go down in the park. To my surprise he told me that about 1 to 2 miles back there was a Cessna in the top of the trees and has been there for years. The park service drains the oil and gas out and sometimes leave the plane.

01-26-2006, 20:25

BipolarStroller
05-12-2008, 10:56
Crumbs been thru there 3-4x and never did see the pieces, and I too missed them, even after several guys gave very good instuctions on where to look, and then surprised at how blind I was to not see what they did.
A guy comming from the other way took the time to tell us the story, but between shivering in the freezing wind, and being so facinated at the way he was talking(with a strong southern accent, talking about an R-plane)I didn't really absorb the story.

chili36
05-12-2008, 11:23
There are pieces of wreckage all over the slopes down from Gregory's Bald. A twin engine plane crashed up there several years ago and during the SAR, a helicopter crashed as well.

Mrs Baggins
05-12-2008, 11:24

Thanks. I thought it didn't look like wreckage from a private aircraft. Now I know. :D

Red Hat
05-13-2008, 11:39
In 2005 Gypsy Lulu and I saw the wreckage and decided to stop for lunch and a POBO break (pack off boot off) right there. Several other hikers came along and it was a small party. Memories!

Hikes in Rain
05-13-2008, 12:19

In 1984, an F4 fighter plane crashed into the ridge between Inadu Knob and Old Black. Some of the wreckage from this crash remains scattered about the area, with a number of fragments located in an area along the Appalachian Trail about a quarter-mile west of the trail's junction with the Snake Den Ridge Trail. A short spur trail winds through the wreckage.

I'm going to be passing through that area in nine days (!), and I'd like to stop off and pay respects. Is the area obvious? Is the spur trail marked in some way, or just a manway heading west? In other words, will I know it when I see it, given that I've just huffed and puffed my way over Mt. Guyot and Ol' Black?

Red Hat
05-13-2008, 18:59
I don't think it is real obvious, but you should see it if you watch the wood to the right of the trail.

Mrs Baggins
05-13-2008, 19:17

I'm going to be passing through that area in nine days (!), and I'd like to stop off and pay respects. Is the area obvious? Is the spur trail marked in some way, or just a manway heading west? In other words, will I know it when I see it, given that I've just huffed and puffed my way over Mt. Guyot and Ol' Black?

Oh yeah, it's obvious. But then I'm the hiker that is looking everywhere to my right and left so I don't miss anything..........and usually trip over things right in front of me because of it. ;) I saw the first piece very near the summit of Mt. Guyot (going north it's on the downward side as you go north). Then you see a whole path of wreckage just a few yards later. I would guess that if the pilot didn't eject then he died in the crash. The pieces are small (2 foot square at best) so it's doubtful he would have survived. Don't know if an F4 carried a flight officer as well as the pilot.

Hikes in Rain
05-13-2008, 20:16
Sounds much like the way I hike. Thanks, everyone, I'll keep my eyes open as I head down. I understand from reading something somewhere that the plane flew right into the peak.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-13-2008, 20:29
I would guess that if the pilot didn't eject then he died in the crash. The pieces are small (2 foot square at best) so it's doubtful he would have survived. Don't know if an F4 carried a flight officer as well as the pilot.There were two crew members and both died in the crash.

rockrat
05-13-2008, 21:19
From what I've read the crash was so loud it could be heard in Newport. Also there are quite a few plane crashes in the Smokies, enough that someone has published a book of them. It is a fairly rare book because I've only seen it once and have kicked myself ever since for not buying it.

Hikes in Rain
05-14-2008, 06:41
Still available, it seems. May check this one out myself.

http://www.buy.com/prod/mayday-mayday-aircraft-crashes-in-the-great-smoky-mountains-national/q/loc/106/30910462.html

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-14-2008, 07:49
I lived in north Knoxville when this crash happened and was on a SAR team. We didn't get called out for this crash because it was military plane. The explosion from the fuel tank was so massive that it shook the ground in Knoxville so I'm not surprised that Newport heard it. I could see the smoke plume from my house.

9 Mules
05-14-2008, 07:53
There's a 8'x10' topo map at one of the Ranger Offices located behind the Park HQ that has most of the wrecks and other oddities plotted with push-pins, I quit counting after 20.
There's a small copper mine below Newfound Gap I'd like to check out and a few train locomotive wrecks I'd like to check out this Fall. During the logging days they built a swinging bridge for the trains, that's right! I'd like to find that to.
Go to the Park Visitor office and ask about the research library located in the basement. Alot of cool maps and books, no checking them out, but alot of info available. You have to set up a day/time visitation request to use it.

Mrs Baggins
05-14-2008, 08:06
[quote=Hikes in Rain;622440]Still available, it seems. May check this one out myself.

Just ordered a copy for myself. Thanks for the link!

Flush2wice
05-14-2008, 09:12
I'd like to find the train wrecks. There's one on the Forney Creek Trail. They surely are easier to find than the plane wrecks.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-14-2008, 09:18
I'd like to find the train wrecks. There's one on the Forney Creek Trail. They surely are easier to find than the plane wrecks.Hike 1 1/4 mi. down the Forney Creek Trail from Clingman's Dome parking lot, then 1/2 mi. along the old RR bed to the site.

Bulldawg
05-14-2008, 11:14
This is thread is full of way too cool info. I find myself making lists of other misfortunes I want to go gander at.