PDA

View Full Version : Rain Pants

naturejunkie
05-12-2008, 09:00
It seems like it is going to be a wet year and I am thinking of buying some rain pants for my SoBo thru. Can anyone recommend rain pants that are so awesome you forget you're wearing them? ;)

DeeHiker
05-12-2008, 10:22
I recently bought Marmot rainpants and jacket. They've received good reviews from other hikers but I haven't tried them out yet. A little on the pricey side, but I hope they'll be worth it. They feel good on and would certainly do the job I think in light/heavy rains.....we'll see. Leaving Springer next week for a six day hike on the AT so I'm sure I'll get a chance to use them at some point.

bigcranky
05-12-2008, 10:39
Golite Reed pants. Less than 5 oz. Work pretty well.

Kerosene
05-12-2008, 10:39
The problem with rain pants, or any rain gear, centers on breathability. The problem with waterproof breathable fabrics (Gore-Tex, Frogg Toggs et al, e-Vent) is they're more waterproof than they are breathable when you're exerting yourself, resulting in "stewing in your own juices". A lot of hikers go without rain pants (some without rain gear altogether), at least in the summer months, but I've found that rain falling from 60,000 feet can be incredibly chilling.

Here are three options that you might consider:

1) e-Vent Pants (http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=829&CFID=266282&CFTOKEN=8083544&mainproducttypeid=1): Probably the best breathability under a wide array of humid conditions, but they're expensive ($250!) and relatively heavy at 10.5 ounces. I sprang for a pair but I'm considering reverting to Option #2.

2) DWR Wind Pants (http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=63&p_id=2305297): Very breathable and incredibly light (2.4 oz), but over time the durable water repellency (DWR) finish can wear off (and the Montbell version costs $70). The DWR finish can be restored by washing with McNett ReviveX (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___36291), but that isn't always easy during a thru-hike. I found that walking long, moderately strenuous miles in the rain with these pants was very comfortable, but they'd probably work best under a poncho or The Packa (http://www.thepacka.com) to avoid inevitable wet-through on the thighs. I found that draping the bottoms of the pants over shortie gaiters was also very effective at keeping water from running down my legs, soaking my socks and then my boots.

3) DriDucks Pants (http://www.froggtoggs.com/store/choose.asp?ItemNum=DD1026&ItemType=%): A good, lightweight (6 oz.) and inexpensive ($25 for pants and jacket!) compromise that will likely rip under moderate use. These are supposed to be reasonably breathable, but I have no direct experience with them. If they are, then they're cheap enough that you can buy a replacement pair once you've duct-taped the originals to the point that you need a replacement.

envirodiver
05-12-2008, 11:31
I don't carry rain pants in late spring through early fall, because the temps just don't seem to make them neccessary for me, especially if using a poncho. May be different starting in Maine. Some small gaiters are nice though to keep water from running down my legs and into the tops of my shoes.

I have a pair of the Marmot Precip pants that I use in other seasons. I like them because of the full leg zips. Easy to get on over already muddy shoes, and offer a lot of options for venting. They weigh about 11 0z., they are durable and if you need some windpants to sit around camp they could be used for that also.

Footslogger
05-12-2008, 11:35
I tried rain pant on my 2003 thru and sent them home. More trouble than they are worth. Taking them on/off over wet-muddy footwear gets old fast and at least for me ...they are WAY too warm.

If you are convinced you need rain pants there are several lightweight alternatives out there. But I would suggest you consider a pair of lightweight nylon pants, either zip offs or solid leg. They get wet, yes, but they dry very fast and keep the wind off your legs just like rain pants.

'Slogger

anarky321
05-12-2008, 13:03
i always wear my old black nylon pants rolled up to the knee with the inner cotton liner cut out and nothing under that; they dry as fast as swim trunks; i tried wearing rainpants before but it just wasnt worth it; if its warm enough i just take my shirt off during the rain, so no rainjacket either; i only hike in hot weather though so i can see that being a problem in 65 and below; rain is fun at 70 and above but becomes progressively more dangerous as you drop below that

Peaks
05-12-2008, 16:32
Am I the only guy that swears by Frogg Togg rain pants? They are the only long pants that I carry and use in the warmer months.

envirodiver
05-12-2008, 17:45
Another option. Water restistent, NOT waterproof, but will provide some protection, good wind pants, lightweight 6 oz. and cheap $28, fairly durable as nylon pants will be.

http://www.rei.com/product/711814

kyhiker1
05-12-2008, 17:47
Frogg Toggs works well for me.It has to be coming a gully washer for me to use them.

Kerosene
05-12-2008, 21:41
I used Frogg Toggs for many years. They're more durable (and more expensive) than the Dri Ducks version, but not quite as breathable.

paxtelprop
05-12-2008, 23:27
I was thinking about this issue recently. I concluded that there are three options:

No rain pants - If it rains, your legs will get soaked. This is not an issue of your clothes getting wet and not being able to dry them. Nylon pants and polypropylene long underwear dry fast enough. However, you will lose some heat due to the wetness. Above certain temperatures (65f?), this is not a problem as it much more important to keep your torso warm and dry. In a certain middle range, it will likely be cold and annoying but not life threatening. Below a certain temperature (45f?), an all day rain storm could be life threatening if you didn't have rain pants. If you are going through mountainous terrain (e.g. white mountains) in the summer, I would bring rain protection for the legs in case you have to deal with all day rain. Otherwise, you should be ok with nothing in the warmer summer months.

rain pants - they do their job but are annoying to take on and off and not breathable and slightly expensive. My belief is that they exist because people mistakenly import front country thinking into the backcountry. They are designed so people can look somewhat stylish while hiking.

cagoule - A cagoule, for those who don't know, is a waterproof jacket attached with a skirt at the bottom. campmor sells one for $40. Cagoules are completely unstylish and not very popular. However, the skirt design is much more breathable around the legs and putting it on is as simple as putting on a jacket. Weight is comparable to a pants + jacket set up. Could be lighter if you sewed your own with some lightweight waterproof fabric.

sofaking
05-12-2008, 23:31
i have a montbell trenchcoat/cagoule that i use for 3 season raingear, no pants with gaiters and it hasn't let me down, just wish it had pit zips.

earlylight
05-12-2008, 23:34
Golite Reed pants. Less than 5 oz. Work pretty well.

Golite Reed is the way to go for me. Mine are 7 oz, but I must be bigger. No frills though.

The mountain Hardware Cohesion Paint is imho better than the Precip. It has full length side zips and breathable conduit. Heavy though at 11.4 oz for an XL. Good for snowshoe-ing.

take-a-knee
05-12-2008, 23:42
I don't carry rain pants in late spring through early fall, because the temps just don't seem to make them neccessary for me, especially if using a poncho. May be different starting in Maine. Some small gaiters are nice though to keep water from running down my legs and into the tops of my shoes.

I have a pair of the Marmot Precip pants that I use in other seasons. I like them because of the full leg zips. Easy to get on over already muddy shoes, and offer a lot of options for venting. They weigh about 11 0z., they are durable and if you need some windpants to sit around camp they could be used for that also.

My thoughts exactly, I like a poncho only in the summer and carry the precip pants in cooler weather. Those are the only pants I've found that are actually comfortable enough to walk in, and during intermittent rain the full zips make them easy enough to remove quickly without having to remove your footgear. The precip breathes WAY BETTER than goretex.

Wags
05-12-2008, 23:49
sofa you can probably get a local dry cleaner to make some pit zips on your jacket :D i'm actually heading down to mine this week to see if it's feasible

sofaking
05-12-2008, 23:57
i'm thinking it would be more fun to have one custom made, if i could find somebodyonthissitethathasexpressedaninterestinpatt ernsandsewingclothesnottodroptoosubtleofahint, and they could tell me how much fabric i need to get, and ah, yeah.

HikerRanky
05-13-2008, 10:08
The precip breathes WAY BETTER than goretex.

SO TRUE!!!

I just purchased a Precip jacket and rain pants during the REI Anniversary sale. I have an older GoreTex suit, and it is MUCH lighter and MUCH more breathable. I hated the GoreTex pants, since you literally cooked inside of it. This past week it was raniy and windy here in TN, and it gave me an opportunity to test the Precip... I did about 10 miles in the rain with pack and the Precip gear on... I was very impressed with how I was not sweating nearly as much as I normally would have in the older GoreTex suit...

I too like the full zip Precip pants since you can open them up to let some of the heat out and fresh air in...

Randy

Deadeye
05-13-2008, 12:20
My Golite Reed pants are totally awesome. I've carried them in the bottom of my pack for years. They're superlight, pack real small, and protect anything inside my pack from moisture seeping up from below.

I have no idea how well they perform in the rain - I've never worn them.

sofaking
05-13-2008, 12:43
My Golite Reed pants are totally awesome. I've carried them in the bottom of my pack for years. They're superlight, pack real small, and protect anything inside my pack from moisture seeping up from below.

I have no idea how well they perform in the rain - I've never worn them.
now that's funny!

88BlueGT
05-14-2008, 12:57
LoL That was not was I was expecting to read after the talk about loving them :)

rpettit
05-14-2008, 18:14
cagoule - A cagoule, for those who don't know, is a waterproof jacket attached with a skirt at the bottom. campmor sells one for $40. Cagoules are completely unstylish and not very popular. However, the skirt design is much more breathable around the legs and putting it on is as simple as putting on a jacket. Weight is comparable to a pants + jacket set up. Could be lighter if you sewed your own with some lightweight waterproof fabric.[/quote]

Does anyone use these? Any experienced opinions on this product? Was interested in because I don't need a full length rain pant, just something to keep my short pants dry.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 18:26
cagoule - A cagoule, for those who don't know, is a waterproof jacket attached with a skirt at the bottom. campmor sells one for $40. Cagoules are completely unstylish and not very popular. However, the skirt design is much more breathable around the legs and putting it on is as simple as putting on a jacket. Weight is comparable to a pants + jacket set up. Could be lighter if you sewed your own with some lightweight waterproof fabric.

Does anyone use these? Any experienced opinions on this product? Was interested in because I don't need a full length rain pant, just something to keep my short pants dry.[/quote]
the campmor ones are garbage- polyurethane coated nylon...i use a montbell goretex trenchcoat w/o rain pants most of the time. i'll wear my pants when it's raining all day and/or cold. i'd really like to find someone that sews and get a custom cagoule with pit zips and a 3/4 zipper, some kind of waterproof/breathable fabric in camo, that would be great...

boarstone
05-14-2008, 21:01
It seems like it is going to be a wet year and I am thinking of buying some rain pants for my SoBo thru. Can anyone recommend rain pants that are so awesome you forget you're wearing them? ;)
Your skin.....:D