PDA

View Full Version : Please help - pack weight

DeeHiker
05-12-2008, 10:14
I'm leaving Springer next week to hike for six days. My pack weight is already 30 lbs. and I haven't added food or water. I'm 5'8, 137 lbs. I've been walking each day with it to get used to the weight and my lower back aches every time. I've made adjustments to the pack [North Face Crestone 60]. I've always exercised, weights, and yoga, but I'm getting really anxious about being able to go up the mountains with this weight. Will my body adapt to the weight and will I make it! I've been day hiking for 6 years in Western NC, but never done this much weight...someone reassure me...plezzzzzzzzz

sofaking
05-12-2008, 10:18
post a gear list.

SGT Rock
05-12-2008, 10:20
Yes, please post your list with weights for each item so we all can help. More than happy to help.

bigcranky
05-12-2008, 10:49
30 pounds plus a couple of liters of water plus 3 days of food is going to be more like 40 pounds. (Assuming you resupply at Neel Gap for the next three days.)

I was going to say that's a lot of weight for a first hike, but actually it's probably average. Or even a little light.

It's very possible to carry that weight over the mountains of Georgia. You might not like it very much -- but it's possible (and has been done thousands of times by people your size and with your experience level.)

There are probably two things going on here:

1. You are carrying some items that you think you need, but you'll find out on the trail that you really don't. While other hikers can look at your gear list and make suggestions about this, in reality this experience is something you need to gain for yourself.

Examples: too much extra clothing, multiple pots/utensils, too much fuel, giant bowie knife, that sort of thing.

2. Some of the items that you really do need are heavier than necessary. Fixing this requires both experience and money.

Examples: 7 pound tent, 6 pound pack, 2 pound stove.

If you post a gear list, expect suggestions from both lists, i.e., "you don't need xxx," and "you should buy xxx to replace yyy." While these suggestions are meant well (and I certainly make enough of them myself), they are really suggestions about what works well for someone else. Again, experience will help you decide what you really need, and your gear list will get refined after every trip.

That said, post the list anyway, and you might be surprised.

Kerosene
05-12-2008, 10:51
Sorry to say, but part of the weight savings approach will be to replace that 6+ pound pack with a simpler 2-3 pound pack (http://www.granitegear.com) that should be more than sufficient to handle a downsized gear list plus 4 days of supplies. Note that the fit of your pack may be contributing to your back ache also.

DeeHiker
05-12-2008, 11:11
This is my list...I dont know how to cut back...it seems these are the necessities.
Maybe I'm afraid I won't make it up the difficult trails. THanks for all your feedback. I'm a very determined person and like a challenge so I know it's a mental aspect as well as a physical aspect.

Crestone 60 Women's Pack - 5.2 lbs. [first mistake..too heavy]
REI pack cover
Sierra Design Solar Flare Down Sleeping Bag
Termarest Trail Pro Sleeping Pad
Termarest Compressible Pillow
Jet Boil with one canister of fuel
Katdyn Pro Hiker Water Filter
lt. wt. mess kit w/eating utensils/stainless coffee cup
Marmot rain pants/jacket
first aid kit
headlamp & light flashlight
Backpacking towel/soap/toothbrush etc.
1 pr. hiking socks
3 light short sleeve underamour shirts
1 Nike long wicking pants [if it gets cold]
1 long sleeve mid-weight [if it gets cold]
1 Capri Nike wicking pants
underwear and 2 light undershirts
camel bak hydration bladder - 2 lt.
silverfox whistle around the neck
Bear mace
2 lt. platypus bottle
trashbag
flipflops
Food/Snacks

Not carrying the tent

jaiden
05-12-2008, 11:54
buy an accurate scale and weigh EVERYTHING.
some tips offhand:
Your pad is heavier than average. You have 6 shirts listed. way too many. You will be dirty, there is no point in lugging around dirty clothes
you don't need bear mace. this isn't grizzly country
you don't need two lights, the headlamp should be enough. get a tiny LED light as a backup if you want
your mess kit is probably overkill, you don't need much more than a pot, which you already have in your jetboil.
you probably don't need a pack cover
you DO need a shelter.

Caveat: I have never thru'd and I'm not nearly the most expert here.

SweetAss03
05-12-2008, 12:21
He has never thru hiked but he is right on.

Skip the flashlight. Us only a head lamp, no back up.
Lose that back, it is too heavy
No bear mace
You have a pot for your stove (I would use a different stove (pocket rocket) but it will work fine) All you need is a spork...light my fire, or titanium.
Use a trash compactor bag for the inside of your pack as a pack cover
You don't need the extra water bottle
I'd skip the whistle (some packs chest strap double as a whistle)
Way too many cloths

Things people will argue all day about...

First aid... You may have a little too much
Water treatment...Maybe something else like bleach

Understand that you will learn as you go and get rid of a lot of weight. Also understand that at the strart it is colder and in the middle it gets warmer so you will drop alot of the cold weather gear.

I would guess that as a first time thru hiker 35-40 pounds is average, many get much lighter at neals gap.

Good luck.
SweetAss

4eyedbuzzard
05-12-2008, 12:27
Get rid of everything you just might need that doesn't have to do with staying dry and warm enough to survive. Excess clothing, cooking gear, camping/comfort gear, big first aid/survival kits, etc all add up quickly.

Look at each and every item you carry and ask:

1) Do I really need it?
2) Can I use something else that I already carry instead?
3) Can I get rid of TWO items and replace them with one?
4) Is there a lighter weight product or alternative?

Try to limit yourself to one or or at most two items that provide additional comfort in exchange for a weight penalty - and keep the total penalty under a pound. For me, it's a Big Agnes air core pad(22 oz) and SL cyclone chair(6 oz) = 28 oz total, 13 oz more than a z lite and no chair. My bad back just won't tolerate a closed cell pad and I like relaxing in the chair during and at the end of the day.

Don't plan and carry gear for every contingency. With a few exceptions you can generally be off the AT and back in civilization the same day in a true emergency. You can usually hole up in shelters during really severe life and death weather.

DeeHiker
05-12-2008, 12:30
Thanks for the info...

Jason of the Woods
05-12-2008, 12:32
What I did is each week I sent home what I didn't use the week before. Just keep a little cold weather gear. You never know.....

DeeHiker
05-12-2008, 12:35
I'll take out the things you suggested. Too late to get another pack and I can't affort it at the moment...leaving this Sunday. You guys are great to take the time to give me suggetions..I really appreciate it.

SweetAss03
05-12-2008, 12:42
Sorry one last thing....You NEED a Shelter. Tent/Tarp something.

g8trh8tr
05-12-2008, 12:43
Here is my 2 cents....Enjoy your hike
Crestone 60 Women's Pack--Get a lighter pack/too heavy
Thermarest Trail Pro Sleeping Pad--Get a 3/4 length pad or Prolite pad to cut weight
Thermarest Compressible Pillow--Not needed
3 light short sleeve underamour shirts--Leave at least 1 at home
1 Nike long wicking pants [if it gets cold]--Not needed(Use Rain pants instead if needed)
1 long sleeve mid-weight [if it gets cold](Use Rain jacket instead if needed)
1 Capri Nike wicking pants(Use Rain pants instead if needed)
2 light undershirts--Not needed
Camelbak hydration bladder - 2 lt.--Not needed(Carry either the Camelbak or Platypus but not both)
Bear Mace--Not needed

Locutus
05-12-2008, 12:44
She said she wasn't carrying THE tent, so I assumed that a tent was going to be present, just not in her pack. :)

jersey joe
05-12-2008, 13:35
you probably don't need a pack cover

I would definitly bring a pack cover. Not carrying the water weight of a soaking wet pack is worth the few ounces that the pack cover weighs.

SweetAss03
05-12-2008, 13:49
Alright Locutus, I'll buy that as long as there is A Tent.

SweetAss

Blissful
05-12-2008, 14:26
K mart Grease pot will work for your cooking kettle and costs about $6 (your cooking set is too heavy)
Get one lexan spoon - cost about 80 cents.
Playpus only and maybe one Aqua fina bottle. Leave the other home.
Aqua mira is fine for water. Leave filter at home. (but that's up to you)
Leave soap at home. Everyone gets dirty out there! :) be sure to take DEET.
Check your first aid kit and probaby could cut a bunch out there if only going six days
1 t -shirt only
no undershirts
what are you hiking in? One pair of convertible pants will work,then take one long sleeve top and one wicking pant if cool for camp (and it has been running cool)
Need some kind of outer layer - rain jacket is not enough, IMO, but it may be.. (I tend to get cold)
Leave rain pants at home
Need a hat (I carried one the entire hike)
Need another pair of hiking socks (take care of your feet)
Only need a headlamp, no flashlight
I'd leave the bear mace at home but that's up to you. The whistle is good.
Take a map.

SGT Rock
05-12-2008, 14:37
This is my list...I dont know how to cut back...it seems these are the necessities.
Maybe I'm afraid I won't make it up the difficult trails. THanks for all your feedback. I'm a very determined person and like a challenge so I know it's a mental aspect as well as a physical aspect.

REI pack cover
Sierra Design Solar Flare Down Sleeping Bag
Termarest Trail Pro Sleeping Pad
Lose the pillow and just use a stuff sack filled with clothing. You could also save over a pound by changing from that pad to a cheap foam pad.

Jet Boil with one canister of fuel
Katdyn Pro Hiker Water Filter
Get iodine pills.

lt. wt. mess kit w/eating utensils/stainless coffee cup
All you need is a plastic cup and a spoon. Eat out of the jet boil pot

Marmot rain pants/jacket
first aid kit
Take half the stuff out of the first aid kit.

headlamp & light flashlight
Just bring the headlamp and some extra batteries

Backpacking towel/soap/toothbrush etc.
1 pr. hiking socks
3 light short sleeve underamour shirts
Just take one that you are wearing. Leave the other three at home

1 Nike long wicking pants [if it gets cold]
1 long sleeve mid-weight [if it gets cold]
This should be all the extra clothing you need. You can combine this with your rain jacket to stay warm.

1 Capri Nike wicking pants lose the pants.

underwear and 2 light undershirts
You shouldn't need more than one shirt to wear while hiking and maybea camp shirt. I personally don't even take a camp shirt.

silverfox whistle around the neck
Bear mace Lose the mace

2 lt. platypus bottle
trashbag
flipflops
Food/Snacks

Not carrying the tent
How about a compass, map, camera, lighter, matches, hat, light gloves, stuff sack for food, stuff sack for clothing, and toilet paper.

DeeHiker
05-12-2008, 15:35
Wow, Sgt. Rock...you "da man"...thanks. I do have the matches, map, stuff sacks etc. What is the best container for hanging food, if you hang your food? I appreciate your time in helping me.

Wags
05-12-2008, 16:12
don't sweat the weight of your pack itself. a lot of guys make such a big deal but F it. if it carries your gear comfortably then it's doing it's job. have a great hike!

88BlueGT
05-12-2008, 16:33
Not sure exactly what marmot rain gear you are using but you can shed lots of weight by using something like "The Packa" (www.thepacka.com). They claim 11oz's but mine came in at 9.8oz and I dropped my 1lb rain jacket, an 8oz pillow and a 6oz pack cover. I shed like 1.3lbs. When not using the jacket use it as a pillow. Only thing is, if its raining and your keeping your stuff outside and you want to use the packa to sleep w/ as a pillow you will be SOL. I just don't sleep w/ a pillow that night if I know its going to rain and leave it on my pack.

SGT Rock
05-12-2008, 17:21
Just about any stuff sack will work. Getr a 50' piece of para cord and a nylon stuff sack.

theinfamousj
05-12-2008, 20:37

I carry mostly lightweight gear but I, too, have a super heavy pack. I just bought a much lighter pack off of the used gear, but still prefer my older, heavier pack for sentimental reasons. :: sympathy ::

REI pack cover
trashbag

If I may be so bold ... ditch the pack cover. Take a kitchen trash bag and line your pack with it. Pack your pack. Fold over the top of the bag into your pack. The outside of your pack can now get wet, but your down bag cannot. AND you can use it as a trash bag. Multi use and cheap. REI has a great return policy, so if you wanted to, you could return the pack cover.

Also, I have one of those compressible pillows. Love the thing dearly and could never find its equal, until someone posted on here about stuffing their fleece into its left sleeve and using that as a pillow. In my experience, the comfort is equal between the two, but I love that my fleece is now multi use and my pack is lighter without the pillow.

2 lt. platypus bottle

Both? You listed two 2L water bags. Were it me (which of course it isn't so take or leave my advice), I'd have only one in use at any given time because water is heavy. Perhaps I'd fill both for night camping. And the other would remain empty/compressed in the pack. Of course, I'm from the camel-up school of water drinking.

But the main point of my post was to provide some comfort and companionship on the heavy pack part. And some fellow companionship on the love of the therm-a-rest pillow. :)

sofaking
05-12-2008, 20:53
kitchen garbage bags suck, they barely belong in the kitchen. you need to get a hold of some commercial strength 'can liners' (usually brown or grey) like they use in restaurants and such. they're much heavier gauge plastic than household bags. i get mine by 'asking a silly question' at whatever gas station i happen to stop at on my way out. some people talk about trash compactor bags, i guess you have to buy those, but i imagine they're probably along the same lines as the food service can liners. oh yeah, can liners are pretty large, so they can be used in all kinds of handy ways in a pinch.

clured
05-12-2008, 20:54
Order a new pack and get it shipped to the trail. North Face packs are really heavy, and really bad. NF is a street clothing company, not a backpacking outfitter.

http://golite.com/product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5951&s=2

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Mariposa-Plus.html

People also love the Granite Gear Vapor Trail, although I've never used one.

sofaking
05-12-2008, 20:57
Order a new pack and get it shipped to the trail. North Face packs are really heavy, and really bad. NF is a street clothing company, not a backpacking outfitter.

http://golite.com/product/proddetail.aspx?p=PA5951&s=2

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/Mariposa-Plus.html

People also love the Granite Gear Vapor Trail, although I've never used one.
tnf is NOW a street fashion line. my badlands 75 pack is great.

4eyedbuzzard
05-12-2008, 21:12
She's going for a six day hike, not a thru. Buying new big four gear is a pretty severe solution unless the pack can be returned, and besides it may fit well, carry comfortably, etc., all unknown quantities when ordering a pack sight unseen. A 2 - 3 lb pack that doesn't fit or carry well is far worse than the 2 lbs it saves. And often the suspension systems and materials in heavier packs are better suited to carrying a bit more "comfort gear" which is common for section hikers whose priority is a good hike&camp, not necessarily making miles. They also tend to be more durable.

I just think as a section hiker she should concentrate more on getting rid of unnecessary weight and duplicate gear/clothing rather than trying to solve the weight problem by spending more money and buying even more major gear.

SGT Rock
05-12-2008, 21:14
I tend to agree. I'd say if the purchases were one or two small items that would be a reasonable thing - but no one wants to spend $500 on gear for a week long hike. However they may want to spend it AFTER a week long hike with heavy gear LOL.

take-a-knee
05-12-2008, 22:45
Get one of those Sea to Summit silnylon roll top closure (drybag style) for your food, you can tie your hanging rope to the loop formed by the closure. Learn the PCT method of bear bag hanging if you haven't already, you need to learn to tie a middle-of-the line clove hitch overhead standing on your tip toes.

bigcranky
05-13-2008, 07:49
The PCT Method (http://tinyurl.com/amf3q) of bear bag hanging. Very slick.

SGT Rock
05-13-2008, 09:08
I ought to try that sometime. FWIW I already do something similar. I use my bear bag rope as the drawstring for my stake bag. In camp my stakes are already out of it so it is now a rock bag - one rope for the whole thing and no knot tying.

jesse
05-13-2008, 09:21
She's going for a six day hike, not a thru.

yea, but if she hasn't already hasn't got it she will get the lifetime addiction to backpacking. It's incurable.

take-a-knee
05-13-2008, 09:53
I'm leaving Springer next week to hike for six days. My pack weight is already 30 lbs. and I haven't added food or water. I'm 5'8, 137 lbs. I've been walking each day with it to get used to the weight and my lower back aches every time. I've made adjustments to the pack [North Face Crestone 60]. I've always exercised, weights, and yoga, but I'm getting really anxious about being able to go up the mountains with this weight. Will my body adapt to the weight and will I make it! I've been day hiking for 6 years in Western NC, but never done this much weight...someone reassure me...plezzzzzzzzz

Dee, many here swear by the ULA line of packs, one of the few dealers for them is at Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap. Do yourself a favor when you get there and load all your gear into one and try it out, I don't think they'll mind if you don't intend to buy one on the spot. You can always order (they mail order IIRC) from them when funds allow.

SGT Rock
05-13-2008, 13:53
As if hanging food was the only worry: http://www.theonion.com/content/node/79323

DeeHiker
05-13-2008, 13:55
I love you guys because you're always so helpful and honest. I've always day hiked from a campsite...never backpacking so this is a new experience with backpacking gear etc...I'm learning though and appreciate all the suggestions and advice.

Trillium
05-13-2008, 15:59
The PCT Method (http://tinyurl.com/amf3q) of bear bag hanging. Very slick.I like this suggestion as well as Rock's suggestion of using the stake bag for the rock; makes a lot of sense. I will be trying and using them.

Rock, that onion bit was hysterical. :D

SGT Rock
05-13-2008, 16:04
I thought so too. I am recently reacquainted to the onion.

DeeHiker
05-13-2008, 16:45
the "onion" link was hilarious...

SGT Rock
05-13-2008, 16:46
They have lots of funny stuff: http://www.theonion.com/content/radio_news/bow_hunter_learns_a_lot

OwlsRevenge
05-13-2008, 20:39
The only advice I have is that if you leave camp to do some day-hikes around the area, make sure you take water( or something to purify water, etc.) and your headlamp and whistle with you when you go. You never know when you might get turned around, lose your way and end up having to tough it out away from your campsite. And tent. And food.

don't ask. ;)

JAK
05-13-2008, 21:00
I liked this one, not hiking related, but so me and my brother...
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/78054