PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

gold bond
05-12-2008, 12:07
I need to know what to do as far as lining my hammock. I have been trying to use my pad but it can be difficult as it slips and slides everywhere which makes for a sleepless night.
Do you guys use your pad? I have a down forty degree bag that I have been using for a "quilt" kinda just unzipping it 3/4 of the way down and putting my feet in it and laying it on me while just laying on my mat. I am obviously doing this wrong as it just ain't a workin"! I have woke up with the pad on top of me or to the side and it slides down to where I wake up cold as my shoulders are off the pad. I am getting frustrated to say the least!:-?

ishmael86
05-12-2008, 12:35
Underquilt! It's insulation which hangs just below you, so it's not compressed and it doesn't move around. You can buy them, but I am making my own right now--check out the website of kickass quilts where you can find directions to make your own. Get insulation from one of a number of outdoor suppliers--I'm using the 5 oz climashield from thruhiker.com

bigcranky
05-12-2008, 12:40
I use a pad. In warm weather a 3/4 ridgerest works fine -- all I need is insulation under my torso. I don't find that I slide off the pad very often.

In cold weather I have used a Ridgerest XL, which is 25 inches wide, and it worked well. But many serious hammockers use underquilts.

jlb2012
05-12-2008, 12:44
I use pads in my hammock - I've found that the approach that works best for me is to use the cheap blue 20 inch CCF pads with the diagonal corners cut off - in other words I sleep feet to the right of the center line and head to the left - I cut the head end left corner and the foot end right corner. The cutting of these corners lessens the tendency of the pad to curl up and over me. As for my shoulders with the 20 inch pad I just stuff extra clothes / rain gear / sit pad around my shoulders - I think this also helps keep the pads from shifting around. For colder weather I strap a two or more of the pads together for more insulation. I also tend to sleep in my clothes so the sweating on the back is not a big issue with me - YMMV - some people sweat more than they can stand. I have also adjusted to sleeping on my back in the hammock and rarely move from that position during the night.

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2008, 12:53
Big Cranky might not turn & toss like you, so I will throw out a different suggestion as everyone has numerous posts thru WB about getting an underquilt - which I agree with.

Here is my different Idea, clearly the CCF pad is not for you. Get a inexspensive down jacket under a pound like LLbean's or something look at the clearance area's. Then use your sleeping bag as you have in the past - I have seen it being called an Elephant's Foot. Put on the jacket at night jump into the bag and leave it zipped open and on the bottom. Toss and turn - no cold sholders!

Really want to get exotic? Get someone who can sew and cut an old down bag into peices - the bottom 1/3 is the E. foot and sew closed the top 2/3 becomes an underquilt that can be velcroed to the bottom of you hammock. Use the jacket as described.

doggiebag
05-12-2008, 12:55
My thermarest used to slip and slide in the hammock. Try getting some of those non skid strips that folks line the bathtub with and stick a few on the underside of the thermarest. It works fine.

gold bond
05-12-2008, 13:41
I do appriciate all this info. I had all but give up on the old hammock! You guys are great!!

take-a-knee
05-12-2008, 14:51
Some people put dots of McNetts silnet on the bottom of their sleeping pad to keep it from sliding around. Personally I never had any luck with a thermarest in a hammock until I bought a Segmented Pad Extender from Speer Hammocks. That thing works like a champ and keeps insulation between your shoulders/elbows and cold.

sofaking
05-12-2008, 14:56
using a hammock is known for its level of difficulty. little known fact: tribes in the tropics actually had to send their children to european universities to learn how to laze in hammocks. before the colonization of the caribbean, natives had to sleep on the ground and be very uncomfortable.

DawgU
05-12-2008, 17:32
If you're struggling with inflatable pads, the cheap fix is to try Gossamer Gear's wide pad. If that doesn't do it go with the underquilt. Try JacksRBetter. They are the standard.

sasquatch2014
05-12-2008, 17:48
Like Doggiebag I also use a Therma-rest mine is a Cabela's knock off. I found that it slid sometimes if i had too much pitch to my hammock once i got the hang of the correct angle not only did my pad not slide as much but it laso helped the hammock lay open more.

A great deal has to do with the type of hammock that you are using as well. I use a Clark North American with its pockets under it I do not need an underquilt for extra insulation. Check out hammock forum they have tons of info.

bigcranky
05-12-2008, 19:07
Big Cranky might not turn & toss like you, so I will throw out a different suggestion as everyone has numerous posts thru WB about getting an underquilt - which I agree with.

Very true. When I use my hammock, I lie down, go to sleep, and I'm out like a light until morning. Love that thing.

Camping Dave
05-13-2008, 22:08
Really want to get exotic? Get someone who can sew and cut an old down bag into peices - the bottom 1/3 is the E. foot and sew closed the top 2/3 becomes an underquilt that can be velcroed to the bottom of you hammock. Use the jacket as described.

Along the same lines but not as exotic and not as lightweight, but still wonderfully functional. Get a cheap rectangular sleeping bag (the Super Box Mart stores sometimes sell them for as little as $10) and hang it below your hammock. Tie one end of the line to each of the bag's corners and the other to your hammock knot, snug it up tight, and sleep like a baby.