PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions- Harriman State Park, Ny

musicwoman
05-12-2008, 13:06
Did a day hike yesterday with my boys to celebrate Mother's Day. Parked at the Elk's Pen trailhead and hiked north to Surebridge Brook. Trail was quite wet from recent rain and slippery in spots. Water is plentiful . Lemon Squeezer is always fun.

We wanted to continue up to Fingerboard but my younger son (10 years old) couldn't take the bugs anymore. Bring a bug net if having 100's of gnats constantly swarming your head and face bothers you. Also, ticks are very abundant. Picked up several just walking across the grassy meadow to get to the AT. I usually treat my shoes and the bottom of my pants with Jungle Juice, but didn't before this trip. Will know better for next weekend.

jersey joe
05-12-2008, 13:15
A hike through the lemon squeezer sounds like the perfect way to spend Mother's Day with your boys!!!

musicwoman
05-12-2008, 13:32
A hike through the lemon squeezer sounds like the perfect way to spend Mother's Day with your boys!!!

For the record, I have confiscated all photos my son took of me doing the Squeezer:) It had been awhile since I was there (years).....I believe it has shrunk since my last trip:D.

Blissful
05-12-2008, 14:07
Interesting area. Glad you had fun, even with the bugs.