PDA

View Full Version : Getting Back On The Trail

-SEEKER-
05-12-2008, 14:00
I just had my second Epidural Injection today for a protruding lumbar disc. Hopefully this one will work and I will be able to get back on the Trail. My plan is to start at Harpers Ferry and head north. What is the latest I can start at this point and still be in the vicinity of small groups of people so I won't be camping alone?

Blissful
05-12-2008, 14:06
We were at HF Memorial Day last year and there weren't many hikers in PA when we reached there two days later. By mid June should be good though. But many do get off at HF to visit family, etc.

Take care!!!

sofaking
05-12-2008, 14:48
what has your doctor told you about recovery? i had the epi 'roids inbetween surgeries #1 & 2, but as i had surgery #2 you can see they didn't work. i was back in the woods well before my doc okayed it, but w/o any significant weight for almost a year. now i limit myself to <40lbs.(i'm 170's) i strongly urge you to get your docs input on this, lumbar surgery is no fun and the trail will be there next time.

-SEEKER-
05-12-2008, 15:31
The Doctor said there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to get back on the trail. I've had back problems since the early 1980's and every Doctor I go to has a slightly different diagnosis. It usually flares up every year with pain, tingling and burning down the left leg and into the bottom of the foot. Some years I just let it resolve itself, but this year I'm being aggressive with it so I can get back on the trail. I'm also working with a Physical Therapist who uses the McKenzie Method, which is new to me.

4eyedbuzzard
05-12-2008, 15:41
Disc injuries take a l-o-n-g time to heal. LESI's helped me tremendously on my first injury(L3-L4) but less on my 2nd(reinjury) and 3rd(L4-L5). Give yourself some time and reduce your pack weight as much as possible as there are often times that even with a hipbelt the weight winds up on your shoulders compressing the spine. Don't jump down rocks, etc, try to keep in flexion(McKenzie) as much as possible on the uphills and don't bounce going down. Stop and do your exercises frequently.

Don't overdo it too soon.