PDA

View Full Version : Hikes near Charlotte (or something to do)??

Bulldawg
05-12-2008, 20:54
The wife and I will be in Charlotte this weekend for the races. We have a really full Friday, but Saturday is sort of open. Are there any good 2 or 3 hour short hikes in the area that would be worth while? If no hikes is there anyone in Charlotte who can suggest something to do Saturday? Most of the race shops will be closed Saturday, so that is out. We will probably be heading to the race track around 3ish on Saturday for the race. But I am a early riser, so I have 6 or 8 hours to kill. Thanks in advance!!

Marta
05-12-2008, 21:05
The steepest hiking around Charlotte, i.e., best training, is at Crowders Mtn. State Park. It's I-85, exit 13. Unfortunately that is on the opposite side of Charlotte from the races.

Riverbend is nice:
http://www.catawbacountync.gov/depts/parks/rbndmain.asp
Not very challenging, but has some pretty, riverside trails.

Bulldawg
05-12-2008, 21:06
I didn't count on any mountains much in Charlotte. Just some walking to pass the time in a pretty place.

Flush2wice
05-12-2008, 21:12
I was going to suggest the US National Whitewater Center. But when I looked at their website it says the trails are currently closed. Anyone know why?
http://www.usnwc.org/

Marta
05-12-2008, 21:16
I think it's because they close the trails for 24 hours after it rains...which it did last night.

Bulldawg
05-12-2008, 21:18
I was going to suggest the US National Whitewater Center. But when I looked at their website it says the trails are currently closed. Anyone know why?
http://www.usnwc.org/

Thanks to everyone so far. I think this suggestion might be cool. The high ropes thing they offer would be right up my alley to try, but I am not sure the wife would go for it. Anyone here ever participated?

Bulldawg
05-12-2008, 21:19
I think it's because they close the trails for 24 hours after it rains...which it did last night.

Seems there is some sort of Mountain Bike race there this weekend as well.

Flush2wice
05-12-2008, 21:19
Are some for hiking only or are they all hiking and biking?

Flush2wice
05-12-2008, 21:21
Thanks to everyone so far. I think this suggestion might be cool. The high ropes thing they offer would be right up my alley to try, but I am not sure the wife would go for it. Anyone here ever participated?
I was there once last year for a short visit. I didn't get to check out the trails but I thought the climbing wall and the whitewater was really cool. I had a good time just wandering around watching. There's a restaurant there too.

Skidsteer
05-12-2008, 21:40
You could take her to Carowinds, if she's into that kind of thing.

Bulldawg
05-12-2008, 21:44
I'm not into that kind of thing. Especially since the fuel up there and back is probably going to come close to breaking the bank!!

chicote
05-14-2008, 12:51
At the White Water Center the trails are for hiking and biking. Crowders has plenty for a day trip and if the weather is nice you might see some climbers and a view of the city from the top.

Marta
05-14-2008, 12:58
My boys are in town and went to the Whitewater Center yesterday to go mtn. biking. They said the biking trails at Rennaisance Park were better than the ones at the Whitewater Center.

Bulldawg
05-14-2008, 13:25
The steepest hiking around Charlotte, i.e., best training, is at Crowders Mtn. State Park. It's I-85, exit 13. Unfortunately that is on the opposite side of Charlotte from the races.

I might check this out then.

Bulldawg
05-14-2008, 13:28
Yep, I'm thinking the backside trail up to the top is the ticket for something to do in the morning before heading to the racetrack. Thanks!!

Bulldawg
05-15-2008, 10:46
Just thought I would bump this one more time before I leave out at 4AM tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the suggestions already.

DesertMTB
05-15-2008, 11:04
Just thought I would bump this one more time before I leave out at 4AM tomorrow morning. Thanks for all the suggestions already.

I would second Crowders. Nice hiking. Doesn't take too long to get too from Charlotte.

Berserker
05-15-2008, 13:06
Yeah, definitely hit up Crowders. There is nothing else to do in NE Charlotte (or most of Charlotte for that matter) other than shop and eat. I would recommend parking at the park headquarters (off of Sparrow Springs Rd.), and doing an out and back to the top via the Crowders and Rocktop trails. If I remember right the Backside trail has a bazillion stairs in it, and is more like a dirt road. The Rocktop trail is like an actual hiking trail, and has some really cool rocky spots that have to be traversed in it. The out and back is about 5 miles total I think.

I am a former Charlottean by the way just so you don't wonder why the h#$l some guy from VA is giving advice.

DesertMTB
05-15-2008, 13:10
Anyone ever hike that?

Hooch
05-15-2008, 13:20
Anyone ever hike that?Not yet, but it's on my to-do list once I get moved in a couple weeks. :banana

Bolo
05-15-2008, 13:28
Kings Mountain National Park hike is historically interesting and worth the visit. The 'trail' is a paved sidewalk; didn't like that. The State Park is across the road and probably has dirt trails.

-Bolo

DesertMTB
05-15-2008, 13:49
Kings Mountain National Park hike is historically interesting and worth the visit. The 'trail' is a paved sidewalk; didn't like that. The State Park is across the road and probably has dirt trails.

-Bolo

Thanks for saving me the gas on driving up there only to find paved trails:eek:

What part of SC are you in?

Hooch
05-15-2008, 13:58

-Bolo

Thanks for saving me the gas on driving up there only to find paved trails:eek:

What part of SC are you in?Ditto! Thanks!

Marta
05-15-2008, 22:06
The National Military Park has a shortish paved loop trail, but it also has some more backcountry trails. They are not nearly as steep as at Crowders, but there are some pretty walks. From the Military Park parking lot out and back to Browns Mtn. is two/three hours of moderate hiking, if memory serves. Some trails connect all the way over to the state park, and you can run up the mileage that way. There's even a backcountry campsite (no amenities) in the Military Park. I used to go there to try out new gear.

morgan
05-15-2008, 22:40
In addition to the paved trail, there is a 15-mile loop trail that runs through both the Kings Mountain Military Park and Kings Mountain State Park. Both parks are located in South Carolina, just across the state line. There is one designated camping area along this trail that is large enough for 3 or 4 groups. If you like hikes through rolling hills of hardwood forests, then I highly recommend it. If you want to hike 2 small mountains then go to Crowders Mountain State Park and hike Crowders and Kings Pinnacle.

North and South Carolina are working together to connect Kings Mountain State Park in South Carolina with Crowders Mountain State Park in North Carolina. I think I heard this trail will be approx. 15-miles long. The combined trails will be approx. 45-miles long. Lots of scout troops and other volunteers are working hard to make this happen. However, I am not sure who is coordinating the project.

Another great place to walk/hike near Charlotte is the Anne Springs Close Greenway in Fort Mill, SC (20 minutes from uptown Charlotte). The greenway has almost 50 miles of hiking, biking and horse trails. There are 8 to 10 walk-in campsites on a lake. There is a small daily use fee for non-residents.

Earl Grey
05-15-2008, 22:56
Morrow Mountain in the east is pretty cool.

morgan
05-16-2008, 00:02
My grandfather was part of the CCC that helped build the park in the 1930's and I learned to swim in the park's pool in the early 1970's. It's an easy 30 to 45 minute drive from the track. Lots of deer and rattle snakes in the area. Take your swimsuit.