PDA

View Full Version : Parking in Hanover, NH

Eureka
05-12-2008, 20:59
Hi all,
I'm going to be section hiking Vermont and need a safe place to leave my car for 2 weeks in Hanover. Do any of you know of a good place or person to call?
Thanks

wilconow
05-12-2008, 21:27
last summer I left my car for a week in Lot A I believe it was. It's on West Wheelock (sp?), so it was the same road that you cross the bridge on, but when the AT turns, you stay straight.

Call Dartmouth's dept of parking

4eyedbuzzard
05-12-2008, 21:36
You can park at Dartmouth College(Dartmouth Outing Club). Contact the DOC at Robinson Hall weekdays. (603) 646-2428 or 2429 or e-mail thedoc@dartmouth.edu

You could also park just off Main St in Norwich, VT about 1/4 mile past the Norwich Inn and Dan & Whits store where the trail leaves the road.

Bilko
05-12-2008, 21:42
Park at Bill Bryson's house. I'm sure he wouldn't mind a section hiker parking their car in his drive way for 2 weeks. That's about how long it took him and Katz to hike the AT. Look him up in the phone book. Or you can pakh youh cah in Hanoveh Yarh.

Blissful
05-12-2008, 22:17
Maybe Tiggers Treehouse ?

rafe
05-12-2008, 23:11
Park at Bill Bryson's house. I'm sure he wouldn't mind a section hiker parking their car in his drive way for 2 weeks. That's about how long it took him and Katz to hike the AT. Look him up in the phone book. Or you can pakh youh cah in Hanoveh Yarh.

Billy's in Merry Olde England these days. Being a college chancellor. He looks good in robes. Very jolly.

Eureka
05-23-2008, 06:19
I spoke with the folks at Dartmouth College and it looks like I'll be parking there. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I liked the Bill Bryson idea. I read the book but can't remember it he ever completed the Vermont section? He's welcome to join me!

Mike

sly dog
05-23-2008, 10:09
Last year I had a hell of a time parking in Hanover. I called the college and everything was OK then when I got into town and called the security officer said" You can't park here, I can't say your car won't be towed.....I dont know why you people think you can leave your car here!!" So I ended up parking in a lot at the local hospital and getting a ride into VT. Good luck and I hope you have better luck.

Rough
05-23-2008, 18:23
I parked in Dartmouth's A-Lot the past 2 summers (each time for several days in August) and had no problems. You must call Dartmouth's Parking Operations Office at 603-646-2204 and leave a message on their answering machine with your vehicle's make, color, plate number
, where you parked (A-Lot), and the dates you expect the car to be there.

If you need a cab ride out of the parking we used Big Yellow Taxi at 603-643-8294 (NH) or 802-281-8294 (VT).

Have a great time!

Eureka
05-23-2008, 20:26
When I first called the college, the man that answered the phone knew nothing of the parking arrangement and told me to come in and talk with them. I told him about the Dartmouth Outing club email I got, he checked with someone else and agreed. He said it's the first time he ever heard of it! I'm bringing that email with me when I show up!
Mike

cutman11
05-26-2008, 22:20
Thanks for the info, planning to do VT in the fall this year. Will plan to park in "Lot A" unless someone posts it to be a bad idea.