PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Bottle From Dollar Store....

88BlueGT
05-12-2008, 22:29
Well, I was in the mall today and found a nice 10-12oz aluminum fuel bottle in the dollar store. It looks exactly like my MSR & Optimus bottles but instead its covered with Pirates of the caribbean designs lol. Anyway, it has a "sport" drinking top and I was wondering if anyone has baughted one of these and knows where I can get a regular screw on top to fit it. I know its a long shot but I thought that I would ask. By the way, its made by a company by Zak Designs.

Dan

88BlueGT
05-12-2008, 22:30
BTW, I know I could just leave to top on there an it would do the same thing but being from the dollar store I wouldnt doubt that it would eventually end up leaking and I don't want to take that chance of fuel leaking all over my gear.

sofaking
05-12-2008, 22:31
doesn't campmor have all the little knick knacks and stuff?

88BlueGT
05-12-2008, 22:36
hmmmmmmm.... not sure. I'll try their site. I tried my Optimus and my MSR caps and they don't fit unfortunately. That would of made things too easy :)

Foyt20
05-12-2008, 22:38
Just carve a new one out of a tree limb :D

sofaking
05-12-2008, 22:42
wine cork and duct tape and...

88BlueGT
05-12-2008, 22:43
^^^ Sounds like a plan... I'll try that right now :D

BTW, I tried campmor and I didn't see anything on there that would work with mine. Everything I found said that it was meant to work with MRS caps (which doesnt fit mine so I know it wont work).

I did find this though, which seems pretty cool.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21703

88BlueGT
05-12-2008, 22:45
wine cork and duct tape and...

hmm..... I don't think that will work. I think that a regular sized cork would be too small to fit inside there snug. That what I "think" anyway.

sofaking
05-12-2008, 22:45
good lord no man! that thing has TWO different sized tops...that's just, well...waaay to complicated.;)

Wise Old Owl
05-12-2008, 22:47
Some of my best purchases have been at dollar stores - If you get dissapointed?Well Just toss it.

88BlueGT
05-12-2008, 22:50
good lord no man! that thing has TWO different sized tops...that's just, well...waaay to complicated.;)

wow.... sk got jokes! ;)

88BlueGT
05-12-2008, 22:52
Some of my best purchases have been at dollar stores - If you get dissapointed?Well Just toss it.

Yea, I usually don't find too much in there but when I do I feel like I accomplished something lol. If I don't find any kind of leakproof cap for it I map just buy that bottle from campmor that I posted above... looks interesting.

sofaking
05-12-2008, 22:52
i'm always joking when i'm not being serious, which is all of the time...

Bob S
05-13-2008, 00:20
Before taking out a dollar store bottle (any bottle) I would fill it up with water and toss it into the air a few times and let it land on rocks or concrete to see if it’s going to hold up to a fall. Listerine bottles pass this test well, I use them for alcohol.

I’ve has the generic Nalgene bottles break when falling out of my hands (no toss in the air) onto concrete.

KnowledgeEngine
05-13-2008, 03:02
The coating on the inside of a fuel bottle is different from the coating on the inside of a drink bottle. The fuel can eat the coating on the drink bottle causing problems, and oxidation of the bottle itself. The fuel bottle coatings are made to hold up to every type of flammable fuel, and would be the safest bet IMO. Use the water bottle for water.

It is one of those rare situations where I would pay the premium for peace of mind.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-13-2008, 06:12
I use a dish detergent bottle for my fuel - replace it when I finish a bottle of detergent (about once a year as I use a dishwasher). Clear, doesn't leak, cap's made for dispensing liquid and those bottles are tough enough to drop on a tile kitchen floor floor without breaking. Dawn bottles work best IMO.

88BlueGT
05-14-2008, 00:21
The coating on the inside of a fuel bottle is different from the coating on the inside of a drink bottle. The fuel can eat the coating on the drink bottle causing problems, and oxidation of the bottle itself. The fuel bottle coatings are made to hold up to every type of flammable fuel, and would be the safest bet IMO. Use the water bottle for water.

It is one of those rare situations where I would pay the premium for peace of mind.

I thought about this but I thought about it ruing the coating in the bottle but I cant see there being any problems from it? Its an aluminum bottle, looks exactally like my MSR bottle with a gold coating inside. I want to use it to store alcohol for my pepsi stove. I know there are lighter ways (soda bottle, etc.) but I like the fact that the aluminum bottle will be alot more durable (can't puncture, etc)

Gaiter
05-14-2008, 00:58
Just don't use anything that looks like you might drink out of it.

88BlueGT
05-14-2008, 12:53
Nah, I'm not going to drink out of it. I use Nalgene bottles so no mixing up there.

River Runner
05-14-2008, 21:10
I know there are lighter ways (soda bottle, etc.) but I like the fact that the aluminum bottle will be alot more durable (can't puncture, etc)

Soda bottles are pretty darn durable.

Skidsteer
05-14-2008, 21:33
I thought about this but I thought about it ruing the coating in the bottle but I cant see there being any problems from it? Its an aluminum bottle, looks exactally like my MSR bottle with a gold coating inside. I want to use it to store alcohol for my pepsi stove. I know there are lighter ways (soda bottle, etc.) but I like the fact that the aluminum bottle will be alot more durable (can't puncture, etc)

Fuel bottle for an alcohol stove? Soda bottles are unbeatable.

Soda bottles are pretty darn durable.

Exactly.

SteveJ
05-14-2008, 23:16
this is almost exactly the fuel bottle I use - only I get mine from Aaron at brasslite - he sells the 8 oz for $5 - 5 cents more than campmor, but with FREE shipping, versus $7 (!!!) at campmor.....

http://www.brasslite.com/OrderForms/bottleOrder.html#8oz

great guy, great service, and I always deal with cottage industry when I can.....

^^^ Sounds like a plan... I'll try that right now :D

BTW, I tried campmor and I didn't see anything on there that would work with mine. Everything I found said that it was meant to work with MRS caps (which doesnt fit mine so I know it wont work).

I did find this though, which seems pretty cool.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___21703

envirodiver
05-14-2008, 23:22
Before taking out a dollar store bottle (any bottle) I would fill it up with water and toss it into the air a few times and let it land on rocks or concrete to see if it’s going to hold up to a fall. Listerine bottles pass this test well, I use them for alcohol.

I’ve has the generic Nalgene bottles break when falling out of my hands (no toss in the air) onto concrete.

You must be really tall. I've seen a Nalgene bottle get run over by a car and not leak.

Bob S
05-14-2008, 23:48
You must be really tall. I've seen a Nalgene bottle get run over by a car and not leak.
I’ve never broke a Nalgene bottle, but I dropped a generic one I picked up at Wally World and it cracked and all my water ran out.
Since then I stress test anything I take out with me to make sure it will hold up.

Nearly Normal
05-15-2008, 06:21
Go to your local drug store and ask for a plastic cough syrup bottle.
They will probably give you one. Red with measure printed on the side.
They have different sizes.
Mine has worked well for years.