PDA

View Full Version : taking deoderant? yay or nay?

atsent
05-12-2008, 23:41
Yes, I am aware of the fact that I will smell like a camel. And yes, I know everyone else will be smelly as well. But being the hygenic person I am, I was thinking of babywiping myself down in the evening and putting some on would make me feel cleaner and keep the hiker funk at a minimum. Maybe it's just a mental thing...

Would it make change your answer if the trip was a weeklong or a thru?

Lone Wolf
05-12-2008, 23:54
deodorant is totally ridiculous

PJ 2005
05-13-2008, 00:27
do you shower before you work out?

hiker funk ftw

Tin Man
05-13-2008, 00:37
Cleaning up and minimizing the funk may be a nice idea on town visits if you are planning a sit-down at a local restaurant or expecting any non-hikers to talk to you.

Wags
05-13-2008, 00:48
i take it if the old lady is w/ me. if not, then no

clured
05-13-2008, 01:08
Smelling terrible is no less than 80% of the experience. Don't ruin it!

minnesotasmith
05-13-2008, 01:53
deodorant is totally ridiculous

A hiker using it days after their last bath IMO is like putting a pretty ribbon on a 5th-Ward total-loss house that has 6" of mold on everything. That is, it's a complete waste of effort that accomplishes zero.

Leave the deodorant behind and save the weight. Tent if you're worried about stinking out other hikers in shelters.

Gaiter
05-13-2008, 02:01
deodorant = NAY
individually packaged wet ones = YAY (just pack the wrapper and wipe out)

doesn't matter if its the wkend or long section

River Runner
05-13-2008, 02:13
Nay on the deodorant

Marta
05-13-2008, 06:05
I didn't use it to begin with, but bought a travel-sized antiperspirant in New Jersey, and carried it the rest of the way. I didn't apply it every day, but only after showers of sponge baths. It worked for me, and kept down the stench.

chiefduffy
05-13-2008, 06:15
I had some in my bounce box, used it on town days, never on the trail. But I tried to stay in the habit of dipping some water and cleaning up (away from the water source) every night if possible.

warren doyle
05-13-2008, 06:41
Are you kidding me?

Why do you even have to shower when you can either bath or swim (without soap and shampoo course)?

Summit
05-13-2008, 06:55
Never have carried deodorant. Never have given any thought to carrying deodorant. Never will carry deodorant backpacking. A washcloth wipe down and a fresh change of clothes (even ones just rinsed in water) feels fantastic. Leave the city-life mentality behind. ;)

-SEEKER-
05-13-2008, 07:09
Nay on deodorant. Among other things wouldn't bears be attracted to it if you were wearing it in your tent at night?

bigcranky
05-13-2008, 07:45
Taking a wet-wipes bath is fine. Using a wet bandana is easier, lighter, etc., and you'll do that after the wet wipes run out anyway.

Using deodorant won't accomplish much, really.

Gray Blazer
05-13-2008, 07:47
Obviously, Atsent, you're gonna be one of the best smelling hikers out there.

4eyedbuzzard
05-13-2008, 07:51
Whatever you do, don't use any of that musk scented deoderant or cologne in the fall during the rut.

glacier48
05-13-2008, 07:56
I was thinking of taking a trail size of deodorant, thanks everyone now I have to rethink the issue.

Glacier

sofaking
05-13-2008, 08:06
my sweat smells like awesomeness, because i have a rare medical condition called iamawesomer thanyouis, so i don't use or need deodorant...

SGT Rock
05-13-2008, 09:09
Don't take deoderant - unless you just want to.

DavidNH
05-13-2008, 09:25
deodorant would have to be the most useless thing you could possibly carry on an AT trip. It won't work. You will be smelly with or with out. I can't even guess how much this would weigh in pack but probably too much since it would do no good anyway.

DavidNH (snickers)

AlwaysHiking
05-13-2008, 10:08
Warm up a little extra water after dinner, use on bandanna and wipe down. Or cool water if it's really hot and sticky out. I'll use a little hand sanitizer to kill off bacteria under the arms if I need it.

Time To Fly 97
05-13-2008, 11:45
I'm going to buck the trend here a little. I actually did bring deoderant. I cut a small section of speed stick off and just brought it in a ziplock. I used it sparingly and actually did go with musk because it didn't smell sweet and therefore wouldn't attract bugs. Going into town and hiking with minimized hiker funk was my goal...and it worked.

Was I the only one? MAYBE : )

Happy hiking!

TTF

SGT Rock
05-13-2008, 11:51
I would think if you really want to use something that will absorb some smell and is easy to cary that Gold Bond powder in a film canister would be mo' better.

Marta
05-13-2008, 11:59
There's deodorant and and then there's antiperspirant. Deodorant is a smell-masking agent; antiperspirant actually cuts down on sweating. Most types have a scent, but there are unscented varieties. Regular use of it seems to kill off the bacteria that create the underarm funk. Some people have argued that antiperspirant is dangerous (aluminum and all that), but IF one decides to smell clean while hiking, I think antiperspirant is the way to go, preferably unscented.

mudhead
05-13-2008, 12:05
Bugs in Maine like scented stuff.

Time To Fly 97
05-13-2008, 12:22
If I had hiked through Maine earlier and experienced the bugs I am confident that I would be singing a different tune. lol

Happy hiking!

TTF

Mags
05-13-2008, 13:13
Perspiring is the body's way of both cooling off and ridding itself of toxins (ever smell a person who went boozing the night before? PU! )

When you are doing heavy exercise (like say..backpacking all day? :D), why would you want to stop this natural process by wearing antiperspirant?

I think you are better off just talking a dip in a lake to get rid of the sweats and salt on the body.

Besides, until your wash the clothes you have been hiking in all day, ain't nothing gonna make you smell fresh! Some chemicals under the armpits and other areas ain't gonna do crap. :)

dgrimes21
05-13-2008, 13:27
I carry a 1/2 ounce travel size stick of deodorant just in case I go into town. It weighs next to nothing so you cant even tell its in your pack.

jersey joe
05-13-2008, 13:37
Nay on deoderant...thru hikers are supposed to smell bad.

superman
05-13-2008, 13:39
LMAO:banana

envirodiver
05-13-2008, 13:53
Nay on deodorant.

Yay on alcohol based hand sanitizer. I have the hand sanitizer with me anyway. A little rubbed in the pits in the evening or morning, allows you to sweat for cooling and keeps the bacteria down which creates the stink. Rubbing alcohol works as well, but will dry the skin out eventually.

Keeps the funk down in the area closest to my nose, doesn't help much in other areas, cause some I don't want alcohol in.

superman
05-13-2008, 14:11
Yes, I am aware of the fact that I will smell like a camel. And yes, I know everyone else will be smelly as well. But being the hygenic person I am, I was thinking of babywiping myself down in the evening and putting some on would make me feel cleaner and keep the hiker funk at a minimum. Maybe it's just a mental thing...

Would it make change your answer if the trip was a weeklong or a thru?

The rest of these people are just making light of your concern. The reality is that before you start your thru hike stop in at the lodge. That's where you fill out the form for your catered meal selection. Make sure you note in the little boxes if you have special dietary requirements. When they come around with your evening meal every night they also have a portable shower. Make sure you check the boxes for your soap, shampoo, conditioner your other lave requirements. You may have also been concerned about toilets on the AT. Don't worry...they also bring portable toilets with the breakfast meal.

Blissful
05-13-2008, 14:13
Don't need any. I had it in my bounce box which was nice in town, but then stopped that as well when I got up north.

Sleeps_With_Skunks
05-13-2008, 14:58
After working at an amusement park for 4 summers in black fly season....and hiking summers now...I found that the best deodorant to take is au de bug spray. Most people will recognize the bug spray before they smell you. I also became a huge fan of Avon deep woods skin so soft. Worked just like deodorant and kept the bugs from making me into buffet dinner and it stayed on even when I was standing in water putting people on and off tube rides.

After a long hike though...I keep a bottle of febreeze in the truck for us on the way home...there aren't enough windows to roll down. So a couple of squirts on the clothes we are wearing and everyone becomes liveable.

vonfrick
05-13-2008, 15:00
you can use baking soda for deodorant and toothpaste

envirodiver
05-13-2008, 15:07
you can use baking soda for deodorant and toothpaste

Do you use it as deodorant and then toothpaste, or the other way around.

Two Speed
05-13-2008, 15:10
Do you use it as deodorant and then toothpaste, or the other way around.Just don't get your bandanas mixed up and it'll be alright.

Tin Man
05-13-2008, 15:36
I'm thinking the world smells wrong and someone could clean up on a new odorant - "Hiker's Funk" or "Eau De Stenche" should sell well under the hiker wannabe category.

There already is an "Eau De Toillette", so "Eau De Privy" should do well, too.

NICKTHEGREEK
05-13-2008, 16:41
Yes-- anything that helps prevent sitting in a laundromat watching my bag dry for 5 hours is worth the weight. There's no honor in having people lift a foot to see what they stepped in when you pass by.

sofaking
05-13-2008, 16:44
my toothbrush tickles my underarms, am i doing this right?

rdpolete
05-13-2008, 17:21
I just use rubbing alcohol. A few cotton balls and you can clean up pretty well and it kills most everything that is going to cause you to stink. I don't worry about drying out the skin so much cause you will be getting oily and dirty soon enough. As for areas that you don't want rubbing alcohol on, well I just use it there too! Tingles a bit, but kind of refreshing in a sadistict way.

mudhead
05-13-2008, 17:43
After a long hike though...I keep a bottle of febreeze in the truck for us on the way home...there aren't enough windows to roll down. So a couple of squirts on the clothes we are wearing and everyone becomes liveable.

I keep a bag of "go home clothes" in the truck. If you can get into or near water, then clean clothes, it helps. Lots of water in Maine.

sofaking
05-13-2008, 17:44
drive nekkid.

vonfrick
05-13-2008, 17:57

you are a dork and we all know it

oldfivetango
05-13-2008, 18:58
Amazon has an antiperspirant crystal ,Naturally Fresh,I believe that
keeps down the bacteria under the arms and some other places.It has
ZERO odor and works quite well and weighs very little.But then if you
aint stinkin' then what will people be thinkin'?
Oldfivetango

Skidsteer
05-13-2008, 19:06
Amazon has an antiperspirant crystal ,Naturally Fresh,I believe that
keeps down the bacteria under the arms and some other places.It has
ZERO odor and works quite well and weighs very little.But then if you
aint stinkin' then what will people be thinkin'?
Oldfivetango

Available at Wal-Mart. Will not work on hiker funk. About as effective as planting a flower next to a gut pile.

vonfrick
05-13-2008, 19:17

you're a dork too. wanna be friends?

Appalachian Tater
05-13-2008, 19:19
Won't work. Use baby butt wipes with rubbing alcohol added to them on your smelly parts at night.

SGT Rock
05-13-2008, 19:21
I've never met anyone that uses crystals that actually work. I've met ones that think they are working though.

sofaking
05-13-2008, 19:30
you're a dork too. wanna be friends?
we can start a club!

I've never met anyone that uses crystals that actually work. I've met ones that think they are working though.
loong ago i was one of those people that thought a mineral salt deodorant crystal would work...i was kindly informed that was not the case, months later...

Appalachian Tater
05-13-2008, 19:37
I've never met anyone that uses crystals that actually work. I've met ones that think they are working though.Those crystals are no different than the balls you use instead of detergent in your washing machine. Any effect is in your mind.

SGT Rock
05-13-2008, 19:39
Those crystals are no different than the balls you use instead of detergent in your washing machine. Any effect is in your mind.
hehehe... you said balls.

AlwaysHiking
05-13-2008, 19:43
hehehe... you said balls.

:rolleyes:

vonfrick
05-13-2008, 19:46
we can start a club!

um, i think we have one...it's the warraghy thread

sofaking
05-13-2008, 19:50
um, i think we have one...it's the warraghy threadoh. i hate that thread.

vonfrick
05-13-2008, 19:55
oh. i hate that thread.

you are wee todd it :p

...sorry, back to the body odor discussion...

TACKLE
05-13-2008, 20:39
Anybody ever heard of a Wonder Bar? It's stainless steel and weighs an ounce and a half,and is the size of a half used bar of Dove soap. When rubbed against the body in cold water(the colder the better),it really does remove odors. Turns out that any SS will do the same thing under cold water. This is light,rounded,and eco-friendly. Of course if it's freezing out,it's useless. Also don't expect to magically get out that ode thru-hiker stench after months on The Trail. It needs to be used as you go.

ALOHA,

TACKLE

Captain
05-13-2008, 20:59
i plan to eat loads of garlic and onions each night to poison mosquitoes and other bitey critters no bug spray but i have found if you mix grade a honey with olive oil to break it down a bit then mix that with some blueberry scented hand lotion can be absolutely fabulous to wear in the wild all you smell is honey and blueberrys without the stickyness ( little bit oily at first till it soaks in)

sofaking
05-13-2008, 21:02
why would you want to smell like a muffin?

Captain
05-13-2008, 21:06
cuase im delicious thats why ;)

Odd Thomas
05-13-2008, 21:06
i plan to eat loads of garlic and onions each night to poison mosquitoes and other bitey critters no bug spray but i have found if you mix grade a honey with olive oil to break it down a bit then mix that with some blueberry scented hand lotion can be absolutely fabulous to wear in the wild all you smell is honey and blueberrys without the stickyness ( little bit oily at first till it soaks in)

I would think covering your body in sugars would cause an explosion of bacterial growth

Captain
05-13-2008, 21:09
DUDE ,stupid girls hijacking keyboards when your making a sandwich she must be punished 80 lashes with a plastic coil binding of a notebook should do

Skidsteer
05-13-2008, 21:10
I would think covering your body in sugars would cause an explosion of bacterial growth

But it aids Ursine digestion. Kinda like lactobacillus acidophilus.

sofaking
05-13-2008, 21:12
actually, both honey and olive oil are antibacterial...but i think his woman just ninja'ed him...

Captain
05-13-2008, 21:15
shes gone now and i got her back.. posted her "profile" and her email ( not her main one , one she only uses for spam) to a lesbian dating site

Odd Thomas
05-13-2008, 21:16
actually, both honey and olive oil are antibacterial...but i think his woman just ninja'ed him...

No more antibacterial than our own skin oils, it's not like penicillin or something :p

Odd Thomas
05-13-2008, 21:17
shes gone now and i got her back.. posted her "profile" and her email ( not her main one , one she only uses for spam) to a lesbian dating site

Which one?:p

Blissful
05-13-2008, 21:18

Taking B vitamins or something is supposed to make you less attractive to insects as well.

The only time smell bothered me was in town. Then I insisted on getting a shower the first thing before going for food. (With men I'm sure its food and then the shower...:))

Though I remember this one lady that picked up to take us to Gorham, boy did we smell, but she just kept all her windows down and was really nice. A true trail angel.

sofaking
05-13-2008, 21:22
No more antibacterial than our own skin oils, it's not like penicillin or something :p
not so sure about that, http://www.honeyo.com/honeyhealing.shtml, and well, hell google it yourself...

Captain
05-13-2008, 21:23
ewww my link disappeared what happen?

sofaking
05-13-2008, 21:24
Taking B vitamins or something is supposed to make you less attractive to insects as well.

brewer's yeast @ 7.5 grains daily, keeps the skeeters away for me.

Tinker
05-13-2008, 21:27
Nay, unless my car is at the end of the hike, then I might put some in the glove box for the trip to town. Otherwise, like many here, I just carry a few baby wipes in a zip lock bag (mostly for personal hygeine, not for impressing others or keeping the peace).

Wise Old Owl
05-13-2008, 21:41
A hiker using it days after their last bath IMO is like putting a pretty ribbon on a 5th-Ward total-loss house that has 6" of mold on everything. That is, it's a complete waste of effort that accomplishes zero.

Leave the deodorant behind and save the weight. Tent if you're worried about stinking out other hikers in shelters.

I agree with MS! Please feel free to jump into the first water source naki and foul it for him & everyone! - Use a bar of soap & don't forget to wash your camp kit!

Foyt20
05-13-2008, 21:45
nay. That is all.

Odd Thomas
05-13-2008, 21:46
not so sure about that, http://www.honeyo.com/honeyhealing.shtml, and well, hell google it yourself...

The strongest antimicrobial property of honey is it's concentration of sugar that normally dehydrates bacteria at that osmolarity, this is only effective when the honey is not exposed to air and additional moisture which changes the osmolarity, which is the case when you smear it over your respirating skin. Honey with a changed osmolarity of sugar will then begin to ferment. To make honey mead, all you need to do is add water, the surface of your skin will do the job nicely. ;)

sofaking
05-13-2008, 21:48
The strongest antimicrobial property of honey is it's concentration of sugar that normally dehydrates bacteria at that osmolarity, this is only effective when the honey is not exposed to air and additional moisture which changes the osmolarity, which is the case when you smear it over your respirating skin. Honey with a changed osmolarity of sugar will then begin to ferment. To make honey mead, all you need to do is add water, the surface of your skin will do the job nicely. ;)
no, yeast does the job, not your skin surface.

Odd Thomas
05-13-2008, 21:49
no, yeast does the job, not your skin surface.

Yeast adds water? That's what I was saying your skin does

Bearpaw
05-13-2008, 21:49
On my 99 thru-hike, I carried a travel size stick of deodorant and used it in towns after I showered. It helped a little bit. If you used a bounce box, a stick of deodorant would be a decent item to add.

I've never carried it on any other hike where I was only in the backcountry, including the 30-day treks I led with NOLS. It's just not worth it in the middle of nowhere.

sofaking
05-13-2008, 21:54
Yeast adds water? That's what I was saying your skin does
quit being silly, water has nothing to do with fermentation, yeast does. and if your wet skin is fermenting, you need to take a bath.

Odd Thomas
05-13-2008, 21:59
quit being silly, water has nothing to do with fermentation, yeast does. and if your wet skin is fermenting, you need to take a bath.

If you're covered with fermenting sugars, yes you do! :p

88BlueGT
05-14-2008, 13:43
I have taken a small thing of deodorant twice and both times I did not use it. never brought it again since those two times. I say save the few oz's, stink, and bring something else :)

envirodiver
05-14-2008, 13:44

That's part of the allure to this method.

You may wish to shave your underarms though.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 13:46
That's part of the allure to this method.

You may wish to shave your underarms though.
shave? is this some kind of new toothbrush application?

glacier48
05-14-2008, 13:47
I guess that I am in the minority but I will be packing a trial size deodorant. Perhaps time and experience will tell me that it is a waste of time. I can't stand my own underarm stench.

Is it an acquired smell?
Glacier

envirodiver
05-14-2008, 13:48
you are a dork and we all know it http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sad007.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/sad030.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 13:56
I guess that I am in the minority but I will be packing a trial size deodorant. Perhaps time and experience will tell me that it is a waste of time. I can't stand my own underarm stench.

Is it an acquired smell?
GlacierNo, it stinks, but deodorant won't cover it up and antiperspirant isn't suitable for hiking and only works for a period of time after you're clean. The stench is caused by bacteria.

envirodiver
05-14-2008, 13:57
shave? is this some kind of new toothbrush application?

No use your pocket knife for the shaving, the toothbrush for deodorizing mouth and previously shaved by pocket knife pits. Man you must learn to be a bit more creative.

envirodiver
05-14-2008, 13:59
No, it stinks, but deodorant won't cover it up and antiperspirant isn't suitable for hiking and only works for a period of time after you're clean. The stench is caused by bacteria.

That's why rubbing alcohol or alcohol based hand sanitizer, squirted on the hand, then rubbed in the pits works well. Keeps the bacteria down.

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 14:00
That's why rubbing alcohol or alcohol based hand sanitizer, squirted on the hand, then rubbed in the pits works well. Keeps the bacteria down.Baby butt wipes in a ziplock with rubbing alcohol poured in. Great for your face, privates, pits, feet, and cleaning up scratches, too. Just don't use the same one for all of those things in that order.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 14:02
No use your pocket knife for the shaving, the toothbrush for deodorizing mouth and previously shaved by pocket knife pits. Man you must learn to be a bit more creative.
so i shave my toothbrush with my pocket knife? then throw it in a pit. got it, i'll give it a go next time out.

envirodiver
05-14-2008, 14:06
Baby butt wipes in a ziplock with rubbing alcohol poured in. Great for your face, privates, pits, feet, and cleaning up scratches, too. Just don't use the same one for all of those things in that order.

Now that's a good idea, so the privates washing should not be first? Yeah I've used them before just prior to crawling in my bag, feels good to be a little clean in the bag. Makes sense the alcohol in the bag is good too. Cuts out one step in the clean-up process.

envirodiver
05-14-2008, 14:08
so i shave my toothbrush with my pocket knife? then throw it in a pit. got it, i'll give it a go next time out.

Yup I think you've finally got it. Don't forget to spit in the pit, before backfilling.

Let us know how it works out for you. I think you'll be very happy with the results.

superman
05-14-2008, 14:21

For extra credit hiking miles, don't use deodorant or anything and don't wash your sleeping bag until Harpers Ferry. Then breathe in while your head is inside your sleeping bag. You get double hiking point miles if you can do this after you've hiked the whole AT in this same way. Be advised that this activity may be hazardous to your health. Be further advised if you go for the that you should not be around children or other living things.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 14:23
where are these 'hiking miles' redeemable at? i want to get a titanium spork...

Appalachian Tater
05-14-2008, 14:25
For extra credit hiking miles, don't use deodorant or anything and don't wash your sleeping bag until Harpers Ferry. Then breathe in while your head is inside your sleeping bag. You get double hiking point miles if you can do this after you've hiked the whole AT in this same way. Be advised that this activity may be hazardous to your health. Be further advised if you go for the that you should not be around children or other living things.I never washed my bag on my thru-hike, just turned it inside-out in the sun. I did wash it afterwards but it didn't smell even then. I used a sllk liner when it was cold and cleaned my feet before going to bed. Sunlight is great for killing smelly bacteria.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 14:27
I never washed my bag on my thru-hike, just turned it inside-out in the sun. I did wash it afterwards but it didn't smell even then. I used a sllk liner when it was cold and cleaned my feet before going to bed. Sunlight is great for killing smelly bacteria.
so you didn't get a titanium spork?

superman
05-14-2008, 14:33
The people who cater the AT hikes will award you your engraved spork, suitable for framing.

superman
05-14-2008, 14:34

Tater doesn't get one.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 14:42
The people who cater the AT hikes will award you your engraved spork, suitable for framing.
sweet! and i'll have the beef dish, red wine and baked alaska.

superman
05-14-2008, 14:51
sweet! and i'll have the beef dish, red wine and baked alaska.

Some folks say that AT hikers are too pampered. In order to make up for the catered meals, lave, toilet, shelter availability we try to compensate by smelling bad. It helps to create the illusion that hiking the AT is rough takes effort. "Deoderant...I don't need no stinken deoderant" is the proper responce.

envirodiver
05-14-2008, 15:13
Some folks say that AT hikers are too pampered. In order to make up for the catered meals, lave, toilet, shelter availability we try to compensate by smelling bad. It helps to create the illusion that hiking the AT is rough takes effort. "Deoderant...I don't need no stinken deoderant" is the proper responce.

Which of the priveys have the bidets?

Cause I'll skip the others.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 15:27
Which of the priveys have the bidets?

Cause I'll skip the others.
aren't those the plastic ones...with the blue bidet water? they're automatic on some models so don't be startled by the splash.

envirodiver
05-14-2008, 15:29
aren't those the plastic ones...with the blue bidet water? they're automatic on some models so don't be startled by the splash.

Thanks for the warning

superman
05-14-2008, 15:35

Oh crap, I thought that was the mouth wash.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 15:40
Oh crap, I thought that was the mouth wash.
no, they don't have the mouthwash models on the trail, but some do have big, white breath mints...

superman
05-14-2008, 15:45
no, they don't have the mouthwash models on the trail, but some do have big, white breath mints...

Do you mean the big white breath mints that are also good for dipping in your ramen?

sofaking
05-14-2008, 15:47
Do you mean the big white breath mints that are also good for dipping in your ramen?
man, i never thought about dunking them!

superman
05-14-2008, 15:53
man, i never thought about dunking them!

When you get that thru hiker hunger going almost everything is considered food. Food is a bigger issue than personal hygiene. After awhile you can smell those clean folks from way off. Then the clean folks put on their deodorant and it's down right nauseating. It’s good to avoid people who smell too good. They’re what we call cotton people.

Bear Cables
05-14-2008, 16:28

That would be "9th Ward". But just the same, leave the deodorant for when you get off the trail. Eveyone smell the same anyway...bad!

River Runner
05-14-2008, 19:36
Is it an acquired smell?
Glacier

Yes.

Wearing wool clothing helps keep the odor down a lot better than deodorant/anti-perspirant. A light weight short sleeve wool shirt is perfect for summer hiking.

10-K
05-15-2008, 14:46
I take a travel size deodorant with me, along with toothbrush, travel sized toothpaste and baby wipes. The entire package weighs less than 8 ozs and it's worth it to me.

At the end of the day I like to wash my face, neck and as much of my upper body as I can and apply deodorant before hitting my sleeping bag. I sleep better when I feel clean and a good night's sleep is pretty important to me.