PDA

View Full Version : Unicoi to Standing Indian Campground

bigmac_in
05-13-2008, 10:28
Looking at Hiking from Unicoi Gap to Deep Gap and then on to Standing Indian Campground via the Kimsey Creek Trail in June. If we make good time, we might hike on to the Timber ridge trail and then to the campground.

Can anyone steer me to some good information about Standing Indian Campground? Specifically, is it a problem if we pull in late (10:00 PM?), to stay a night. Then - will they allow us to leave the car (we'll get a shuttle to Unicoi) without charging us for a campsite?

I could just call them, but I know the fine folks here will have plenty of suggestions.....

Thanks,

Big Mac

Two Speed
05-13-2008, 10:31
Don't have specific info at my fingertips, but there are a few Wb'ers hiking the Standing Indian loop over Memorial Day weekend; might be able to help with a shuttle back to your vehicle. When ya hiking?

bigmac_in
05-13-2008, 10:34
We'll pull in June 17th (Tues.) late, and will need to shuttle Wednesday morning. Hoping to leave the car at Standing Indian Campground and shuttle to Unicoi, walking back to the car.

Two Speed
05-13-2008, 10:42
I've left a vehicle at Standing Indian many times, no problem to date. For shuttles Ron Haven is probably your best bet. He is a member of WB so you can send him a PM to get in touch. Tricky devil uses the trail name "Ron Haven." ;)

Great section, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Gray Blazer
05-13-2008, 10:49
Standing Indian Campground is really popular (mostly trailers and campers) and people make their reservation a long time in advance. We camped along the road by the Nantahala river at one of the free areas (they fill up, too). You can park at Rock Gap and walk a few hundred yards to the shelter and sleep there. That's also a good place to leave your car. You can also leave your car at the back country info sign parking. Have fun. Check with Ron Haven.

bigmac_in
05-13-2008, 10:57
I've enjoyed them all so far - this one will complete Georgia for us. Not a short trip from Indiana, but getting closer. Thanks for your help.

bigmac_in
05-13-2008, 11:02
Standing Indian Campground is really popular (mostly trailers and campers) and people make their reservation a long time in advance. We camped along the road by the Nantahala river at one of the free areas (they fill up, too). You can park at Rock Gap and walk a few hundred yards to the shelter and sleep there. That's also a good place to leave your car. You can also leave your car at the back country info sign parking. Have fun. Check with Ron Haven.

Exactly the kind of information I'm looking for....though I don't do shelters.

bigmac_in
05-13-2008, 11:03
You can also leave your car at the back country info sign parking. Have fun. Check with Ron Haven.

Where is this?

Gray Blazer
05-13-2008, 11:24
Where is this?
Go in the entrance to campground and it is a little past the camp store.

stumpy
05-13-2008, 12:49
The backcountry lot would be your best bet for long term parking. If you go to the campground, just stay to your left and you will dead end into the backcountry lot.

It may be hard to find a site that late at night. It really is hit or miss. As stated before you could park at rock gap (you will pass the parking on the way to the campground) and sleep in the shelter, but once agian it may be full.

I think I would contact Ron Haven, ask about staying at his place in Franklin the first night, and then have him take you out the next morning. I believe he will let you leave your car at his place. Of course that means that you would need a shuttle back to your car when you are finished.:-?

generoll
05-13-2008, 12:57
You might also consider just camping at Deep Gap and then hiking out in the am on the Kimsey Creek trail to the backcountry kiosk. There's a group of WB'rs going on the loop this weekend if I'm not mistaken. PM them for more uptodate info.

stumpy
05-13-2008, 13:27
That is really a good plan. There are lots of places to camp up there. The walk down to the campground is easy, and your car would be at deep gap when you finish.

I think I would go with this itinerary. A much better plan than mine.:D

Ron Haven
05-13-2008, 19:07
Thanks for all your reccommendations,I returned a pm to Big Mac.I told him he is welcome to park at one of my motels free.Hikers don't even have to rent a room to park free.

Summit
05-13-2008, 22:13
Go in the entrance to campground and it is a little past the camp store.Sorry, but that's incorrect. There is no free parking after bearing right into the campground at the split. Stay to the left a few hundred yards. The paved Forest Service road pavement ends just across Long Branch creek and there is a great backcountry parking area (better than parking at Rock Gap, because you have to walk the paved road 1 1/2 miles to get to it. You can't miss it even at night. When the pavement ends, you're at the parking area. ;)

When you come down Kimsey Creek Trail into the campground, follow the signs to the backcountry parking! You'll cross over a bridge in the middle of the campground, the trail up to the backcountry parking area leaves the paved campground road after about 30 yards and it's only a couple hundred yards from there to the parking area.

You could, as one suggested, end your hike at Deep Gap, but it's quite a drive into there off US 64 (Standing Indian Backcountry Parking is easier to get to), and you'd miss the beautiful 3.5 miles of Kimsey Creek.

Then go down to Franklin and get cleaned up at Ron Haven's motel and enjoy his hospitality! He's a great guy! :)

Gray Blazer
05-14-2008, 07:04
Listen to Summit. My memory is faulty.

Summit
05-14-2008, 07:23
Listen to Summit. My memory is faulty.Only because for six years in a row I stayed a week in Standing Indian Campground when my son was very little - great place for kids to play and have fun in the mountains. I kinda know the area like the back of my hand, or like Ron Haven knows the entire 60 or so mile stretch of the AT in and around Franklin! ;)

bigmac_in
05-14-2008, 09:15
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Ron and I have swapped PMs and will hammer out the specifics. Still plan on Unicoi to Standing Indian Campground. I like the idea of finishing with the Kimsey Creek Trail.