PDA

View Full Version : Trekking poles on airplanes

Uncle Tom
05-13-2008, 10:42
What's the deal? I really don't want to check my backpack, which will be small. I was thinking of dismantling the poles and stuffing them down the side of the backpack inside. Has anyone some advice on this?

Shutterbug
05-13-2008, 10:51
What's the deal? I really don't want to check my backpack, which will be small. I was thinking of dismantling the poles and stuffing them down the side of the backpack inside. Has anyone some advice on this?

It has been my experience that the airlines consider hiking poles under the same rule as a walking cane. They will ask you if you have to have the cane to walk. If you answer "yes", you get to take them on the plane. If you answer "no", you have to check them. Use your own judgment.

A-Train
05-13-2008, 10:54
I pull them apart into 3 pieces and line them in my pack and check it.

When I don't wanna check, I mail them to my destination.

Footslogger
05-13-2008, 11:01

=================================

Shutterbug hit the nail on the head. TSA regulations allow "walking assist" devices but NOT ski poles. Some TSA'ers consider trekking poles to be like ski poles and refuse to allow them through security.

My wife and I have travelled several times with trekking poles now, collapsed and attached to the outside of our packs in plain sight. When/if asked we identify them as "walking assist" poles. The TSA reps look them up in their regulations (if they not already familiar with them) and clear us through security.

One additional consideration is to place rubber caps on the carbide tips.

'Slogger