PDA

View Full Version : Could use some thoughtful, helpful advice...

corialice81
05-13-2008, 14:25
Here’s my current situation:

April 19th – went from the state park to neels gap but produced nasty nasty blisters on my heels. The staff at the outfitter told me to take a week off and then start 100 miles south of Damascus and hike into trail days.

May 6th- started at Greasy creek gap and got to Kincora. By the time I got to Kincora, I developed nasty blisters on the balls of both my feet. Instead of pushing on to Damascus and making the blisters much worse, I decided to go home and let them heal.

I can’t figure out what the problem is with the blisters and I’m hoping that the doc at trail days can shed some light. The staff at neels changed my footwear completely from boots to trailrunners. Also, while I was hiking I would take 15 min breaks every two hours to let my feet and shoes dry out.

It’s completely frustrating for me because I really am excited and enthusiastic about this adventure.

I’m now at a point where I need to make a decision…

Should I continue hiking north from trail days and hope that my feet will now be blister free?

OR

Should I wait until next year and start over say around April 1?

I thought long and hard since Sunday about this decision and am reaching out to you guys because I’m torn. I see pros and cons for both.

If I hiked out of Damascus, I would be hiking and doing what I set out to do this year because I’ve already set aside the time and money and I will never know if this opportunity would present itself again. In addition, I don’t have any other plans for this summer. However, I don’t have my trail legs yet, so we’re talking a really slow start with everyone passing me by. Not so easy to met people when you can’t keep up. And for me that would be slightly discouraging. Part of the trail experience for me is meeting people (not saying that’s true for everyone).

If I go to trail days and come home and not hike until next year…I would start April 1 with everyone else and I wouldn’t have to worry about being left behind. Also, by then the foot situation may be fixed. I would have an additional year to save money, workout, prepare, etc. BUT that would be a year from now….I’m not really a patient person.

Bottomline – I’m torn.

SGT Rock
05-13-2008, 14:34
You gotta work out that blister issue. I hate to ask - but what is your hiking experience before this hike?

corialice81
05-13-2008, 14:37
Before this hike, I have done 4 days in the smokies (2 years ago), 3 days from max patch to hot springs (2 years ago), several overnighters (starting two years ago up to most recently was over christmas). Lots of day hikes on wednesdays and saturdays.

SGT Rock
05-13-2008, 14:39
I would have imagined you would have already worked out the blister issue. Have you IDed what is causing it?

A-Train
05-13-2008, 14:42
It could be boot/shoe fit, but with some people, their feet just need to adjust and callous up. On the PCT, I got awful blisters from the heat and poor shoe fit. I popped them, cleaned them up and let them heal for a day. Your feet should eventually get into shape. Maybe the trail runners they put you in weren't right either. I would normally say take off your shoes and let them breath, but sounds like you're doing that.

I'd say fool around with different sock and shoe combinations while you're home for a week and try going for some 5-10 mile hikes with your pack near home.

A product like BodyGlide might help too.
Don't give up on a dream. Sometimes there are setbacks. Forget hiking out of traildays. If you wanna go to meet people, go, but I'd recommend starting farther north, maybe Waynesboro or Harpers Ferry, where smooth terrain exists. There are already plenty of hikers that far north and if you hike slow people will catch up.

I think your luck will turn around, just stay patient.

corialice81
05-13-2008, 14:44
Yes, the heel issue was caused by too large of socks and the socks were bunching in the back causing the rubbing. That was fixed. From Greasy Creek Gap to Kincora, I had no problems with my heels. Coming downhill from Hump mtn., the balls of my feet were tender so I applied duct tape and athletic tape immediately. I continued 24 miles to Kincora. Coming down the mtn into kincora is when the blisters formed. They formed under my calluses and I took a zero on sunday and did salt baths. The blisters had so much fluid in them that the pressure was too great to walk on so I popped them BUT that didn't make it much better either. Please don't get the wrong impression that I don't tolerate pain well...I played varsity soccer in college as a goalkeeper...I can tolerate pain. I'm just not interested in getting an infection and losing a foot or worse my life.

SGT Rock
05-13-2008, 14:44
Absolutly - Trail Days is a sideline event. Missing it wouldn't ruin your hike or your life.

Footslogger
05-13-2008, 14:47
I agree with Rock. Just moving on and hoping the blister problem will go away probably isn't a good strategy.

Blisters result from friction and heat caused by area(s) of the feet moving against the footwear. It could be improper footwear fit, it could be a sock issue ...and then again it could be as simple as the way your footwear is being laced. Not sure you are using any form of footbed or orthotic but sometimes even the right size (length/width) footwear needs to be "tweaked" for your particular foot.

Have the blister issue evaluated by someone who understands foot biomechanics AND footwear.

'Slogger

SGT Rock
Yes, the heel issue was caused by too large of socks and the socks were bunching in the back causing the rubbing. That was fixed. From Greasy Creek Gap to Kincora, I had no problems with my heels. Coming downhill from Hump mtn., the balls of my feet were tender so I applied duct tape and athletic tape immediately. I continued 24 miles to Kincora. Coming down the mtn into kincora is when the blisters formed. They formed under my calluses and I took a zero on sunday and did salt baths. The blisters had so much fluid in them that the pressure was too great to walk on so I popped them BUT that didn't make it much better either. Please don't get the wrong impression that I don't tolerate pain well...I played varsity soccer in college as a goalkeeper...I can tolerate pain. I'm just not interested in getting an infection and losing a foot or worse my life.Well that wasn't what I was thinking. Blisters can be a very bad thing besides hurting.

So you have a new pair of shoes. You fixed the heel blister issue, but now you are dealing with blisters in the foot ball area. Next thing I might recommend are cushion inserts for the shoes. It sounds like your feet are getting beaten up on the downhill and you need something extra on the toe end to prevent that. Another thing that may help is changing the lace pattern on your shoes to make them tighter on the end and loser near the top. People tend to pull shoe strings tight when putting them on - but that doesn't always relate to a good tightening on the front of the shoe.

Blissful
I'm just not interested in getting an infection and losing a foot or worse my life.

There's your answer. :)

It will be okay.

Take care!!!!

SGT Rock
05-13-2008, 14:48
I agree with Rock. Just moving on and hoping the blister problem will go away probably isn't a good strategy.

Blisters result from friction and heat caused by area(s) of the feet moving against the footwear. It could be improper footwear fit, it could be a sock issue ...and then again it could be as simple as the way your footwear is being laced. Not sure you are using any form of footbed or orthotic but sometimes even the right size (length/width) footwear needs to be "tweaked" for your particular foot.

Have the blister issue evaluated by someone who understands foot biomechanics AND footwear.

'SloggerLOL, what I said - you were just faster.

corialice81
05-13-2008, 14:48
Starting a flipflop at Harpers Ferry next week isn't too late? doable? What would the terrain be like?

Footslogger
05-13-2008, 14:50
LOL, what I said - you were just faster.

==================================

Maybe the cardiac rehab is giving me a little "edge" ??

'Slogger

corialice81
05-13-2008, 14:50
The staff at neels outfitted me with solomans trailrunners that have the zip string - not real shoe laces.

SGT Rock
05-13-2008, 14:52
The staff at neels outfitted me with solomans trailrunners that have the zip string - not real shoe laces.
Get those things off of there and get some real laces.

A-Train
05-13-2008, 14:54
Not at all. If you start next week at HF. That will give you approx. 5 months until Katahdin "closes". It will not take you nearly that long. Most hikers take 3 months or less to hike the northern half. You'll have plenty of time to then hike the southern half, which will go fast since you;ll be in great shape from New England.

The Herd doesn't come thru HF until late June/early July so you'll be fine.
Maryland is very easy flat walking with some minimal rocks thrown in and soutern PA is very gentle. In central/Eastern PA you will start to encounter the rocks, but if you get that far you'll have the blisters worked out. This whole section until New England is good for getting into shape gradually unlike the deep south which works you quickly.

corialice81
05-13-2008, 14:56
That would still give me a week to figure out the blister thing...I was thinking of going to trail days and have the "experts" have a look. If I could get the blister thing worked out, I'd be solid. The rest of my body has been fine. Lovin it!

Footslogger
05-13-2008, 14:57

==================================

Eveyone I know at Mt Crossings (Neels Gap/Walasi-Yi) are solid folks from Winton Porter down. From what I know that is a good shoe but zip closure footwear is generally designed to fit a specific range of foot configurations, one of the main ones being "volume".

As you walk/hike, especially with a backpack, your foot changes. Without excellent support, your arch will start to relax and the foot can actually "elongate". This is not something that can be fully evaluated in the outfitter's store. Also, with extended wear, all footwear softens somewhat and creates some "wiggle room" that has to be accounted for either in terms of tighter lacing or something that takes up the extra space ...like a footbed.

'Slogger

take-a-knee
05-13-2008, 15:04
I reccomend the book "Fixing Your Feet". REI carries it.

Are you fair skinned? From my army days, the redheaded guys got blisters first, it must be biology.

The only time I ever got blisters on the balls of my feet was when I was carrying a LOT of weight, like 70-90#. How much weight are you carrying?

corialice81
05-13-2008, 15:09
like 30 lbs

Creek Dancer
05-13-2008, 15:14
Are you using liners as well as socks? If not, get some good sock liners. Some people recommend the cheap ones, but they just made my feet hot and sweaty. I like Smartwool. Made a world of difference for me.

Good luck to you. I hope you can continue your adventure blister free.

corialice81
05-13-2008, 15:20
the guys at neels hooked me up with the bridgedale socks and they said you shouldn;t have to wear liners with these socks

jaiden
05-13-2008, 15:22
Most people maybe don't need them, but you might. I'm not saying you DO, but you MIGHT.
good luck

gravityman
05-13-2008, 15:41
Not familar with Bridgedale, but it really seems like socks could be the real issue here. Try smartwools. They are tried and true. There are others out there, but you see smartwools the most. I like the 'Hiker' version.

ZZXF
05-13-2008, 16:21
Everyone's feet are different, but I like Thorlo trail running socks combined with the really thin knee high nylon socks for women (can be purchased in the grocery store in packs of 10). Those knee highs are so thin they don't make your foot hot, and thorlos are excellent because they are cut to really hug your foot. Their regular running socks can be used too, I just like the colors of the trail runners better. Smartwools are good too, but the wool makes my foot itch.

bigcranky
05-13-2008, 16:30
Did I understand that you hiked a 24 mile day into Kincora? Or longer? Or did I misunderstand your post? That sort of long day early in the hike can kill more than your feet.

Salomons are good shoes, and the Kevlar speed lacing thing works well and allows very fine adjustment. I wore the XA Comp for several years. That said, you might find a New Balance Store and get re-fitted, as they offer their shoes in multiple widths and lasts. (Lots of places sell New Balance, but their own stores are probably the best place to be fitted.) You also might try Superfeet.

Finally, a visit to a good podiatrist or orthopedist may be in order. If you do have foot elongation issues, an orthotic may be just what you need.

taildragger
05-13-2008, 16:37
One thing that I noticed with my Salomon trail runners is that the balls are arches are very soft on these shoes. My feet seem to take a pounding in them, but its never bothered me, at least not yet (I walk around barefoot alot, I have some wicked callouses).

KnowledgeEngine
05-13-2008, 16:44
I use injini socks (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=opera&rls=en&hs=dP1&pwst=1&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=injinji+socks&spell=1) when hiking. For me a bamboo liner sock with a nuWool outer makes all the difference. My feet stay practically dry in leather hybrid boots.

The socks have seperate toes, which prevents toe blisters, and they run small/short. That helps mine not bunch because they stay close to my foot.

corialice81
05-13-2008, 16:45
No walked to kincora in two days, 14 miles then 10 miles...

bullseye
05-13-2008, 17:11
I used to have problems with blisters on the balls of me feet around the big toes. Boots or trail runners didn't matter. I finally started using Sportslick (http://www.sportslick.com) in conjunction with trail runners, superfeet (green), and smartwool socks (no liners). I haven't had a blister (NONE) in 4 years. That includes a bunch of 20+ mile days, some in hot weather. I don't know if that'll work for you, but that's been the fix for me.

sofaking
05-13-2008, 17:41
I use injini socks (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=opera&rls=en&hs=dP1&pwst=1&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=injinji+socks&spell=1) when hiking. For me a bamboo liner sock with a nuWool outer makes all the difference. My feet stay practically dry in leather hybrid boots.

The socks have seperate toes, which prevents toe blisters, and they run small/short. That helps mine not bunch because they stay close to my foot.
i'm gonna hafta get me some of them ninja sock things...

KnowledgeEngine
05-13-2008, 19:56
If the socks weren't so high dollar I would wear them everyday.

I have like super acidic nail funk or something. My big toe shreds holes through any brand of brand new sock within 3 months of ownership. My toe socks are still good so far, have over 75 miles on the one set I use hiking. Replacing cheap socks gets expensive for me.

And yes I trim my toenails.

sofaking
05-13-2008, 20:04
for the op, were your blister days also rain days? i ask b/c the only time i've gotten blisters on the balls of my feet were when they were wet for extended periods of time. might want to try soaking your feet in white vinegar at night, for a week or so, and see if that helps toughen up your soles, kinda like pickling your feet. it'll help kill any funk you got growing too.

sofaking
05-13-2008, 20:12
also, if you have a longer second toe than your big toe, http://www.foot.com/info/cond_mortons_toe.jsp, mebbe you want to look into stuff like this.

gearfreak
05-13-2008, 20:41
Winton Porter at Neels Gap hooked me up last fall with a pair of Keen Targhee II's and Bridgedale Ventum Light Hikers. Three weeks ago I hiked Neels to Deep Gap, NC without even a hot spot never mind a blister. :cool:

4eyedbuzzard
05-13-2008, 20:42
If your foot is rubbing causing a blister, thin liner socks may be just the fix (let 'em rub). You might also want to change you hiking socks as well.

Lilred
05-13-2008, 20:45
I reccomend the book "Fixing Your Feet". REI carries it.

Are you fair skinned? From my army days, the redheaded guys got blisters first, it must be biology.

The only time I ever got blisters on the balls of my feet was when I was carrying a LOT of weight, like 70-90#. How much weight are you carrying?

Gotta disagree on the redhead thing. I've yet to get a blister after about 700 miles. ;)

Wise Old Owl
05-13-2008, 20:49
I am with SR I would need to see a pic of the boots, how heavy the person, how much is he carring etc....

Feral Bill
05-13-2008, 21:06
How about far fewer miles/day for a while, once the footwear seems right?

weary
05-13-2008, 21:20
Try to find a foot doctor with experience with hiker problems. And follow his advice for a while at least.

The problem may simply be doing too many miles a day, too early. Or wrong socks. Or ill fitting shoes.

Who knows? But I suffered blisters for weeks. Then someone said, "wear Thorlos." I did and never had another blister.

I'm not suggesting socks are the problem. But before quitting I would have a medical expert with trail experience give his diagnosis. And regardless of what he said, I would slow down. And buy a couple of heavy Thorlos socks. Yep. The heaviest ones they make. Buy new boots to fit, if needed.

Weary

StarLyte
05-13-2008, 21:29
What great advice !

This wouldn't hurt...Dr. Scholl's inserts.

There are a variety. From the cheapie odor eaters to the high impact ones.

Try the high-impact ones.

I have never ever gotten a blister. I am not a thru hiker but I've sectioned many years and I replace these every year in my hiking shoes.

Once you wear these, you'll never hike without them. They'll cost you anywhere from $15-$30 depending on what type.

After wearing them for awhile, I replace them and put the worn ones under my pack shoulder straps for cushion...recycle ;)

I would also like to add that it doesn't hurt to see a doctor, who will probably refer you to a podiatrist or an orthopedic.

Good luck to you !

sofaking
05-13-2008, 21:31
After wearing them for awhile, I replace them and put the worn ones under my pack shoulder straps for cushion...recycle ;)

doesn't that make it smell like your feet are in your face?

Marta
05-13-2008, 21:36
I used to have blister-prone feet. For me the solution was trail runners and very thin socks. The socks slide around inside the shoes so the movement is between socks and shoes, rather than between skin and anything else.

You're really in a tough place to recover from, having lost so much skin already. If it were me, I'd do some experimenting. Carry an assortment of socks--thin, thick, liners, etc. The main thing is that as soon as a hot spot appears, you've got to find the cause, and fix the problem--change socks, change insoles, put on sandals... Whatever it takes.

Given the fact that you've got everything lined up to hike this year, you might as well hike. Lower mileage would almost certainly help while you get your foot problems sorted out.

Good luck!

StarLyte
05-13-2008, 21:40
doesn't that make it smell like your feet are in your face?

Smell like roses. I'll save the next ones for ya ;)

Hey Marta that makes a lot of sense. I wear thin socks and my feet do slide around in my shoes but very little. Lower miles too. :)

It must be miserable having those blisters. Just the sight of one gives me the creeps. I wish you luck. :sun

sofaking
05-13-2008, 21:41
Smell like roses. I'll save the next ones for ya ;)

thanks! but, nah.

corialice81
05-13-2008, 22:02
yeah, you can see my heel blisters on my trailjournals...anyhow, yeah i want to hike this year but this blister thing has really hit my mental game pretty hard...

sofaking
05-13-2008, 22:06
quit then. maybe try again some other time

corialice81
05-13-2008, 22:13
that's what i was thinking...short hikes to try to build the mental game back up and then try again next year

corialice81
05-13-2008, 22:31
OR try again and hope for the best with my feet

sofaking
05-13-2008, 22:51
OR try again and hope for the best with my feet
if you're already discouraged with the blisters and considering putting it off then you're already half beaten. unless you can pin point what the problem with your feet is, you won't have a very enjoyable time. yeah, you could push on and hope for some sort of miraculous healing process, but i don't know what that could be. guess you could hobble along for awhile and remember your hike as 'that time i eff'ed my feet all to hell', is that the way you want to remember your hike? it's not a contest, you don't get a trophy or grade, it's something to prove to yourself and the trail will still be there for another round.

rafe
05-13-2008, 23:04
You aren't wearing cotton socks by any chance? What kind of boots? I'd try running shoes, or something like Vasque Breeze -- very light and airy.

rafe
05-13-2008, 23:14
Not familar with Bridgedale, but it really seems like socks could be the real issue here. Try smartwools. They are tried and true. There are others out there, but you see smartwools the most. I like the 'Hiker' version.

Bridgedales are excellent... at least for the first few years. The pair I have now seem to be "compacted" to an extreme degree, so that they offer no padding at all. Before that, Thor-Los were my faves. Injinjis (toe socks) didn't do much for me.

I had a blister on one ankle last summer that just got worse and worse over the first 250 miles or so. I ditched my Wolverine boots for a pair of New Balance trail runners and that was pretty much the end of the blister problems.

corialice81
05-13-2008, 23:22
I'm hoping to resolve the shoe/sock/foot thing at traildays and be able to head north and hike again. Maybe do a short section to see how they (the feet) do and go from there.

sofaking
05-13-2008, 23:25
good luck, hope you get everything worked out.

corialice81
05-13-2008, 23:35
thanks sofaking!

sofaking
05-13-2008, 23:44
de nachos...um, nacht, um nada...no problemo.

corialice81
05-19-2008, 15:25
During trail days,

1. I went and saw Tom at the outfitter and he worked with me for like 45 mins. I found out that my left foot is smaller than my right so I need a thicker sock on my left foot. Also, because my feet sweat so much, he suggested getting sock liners even though my socks don't require them.

2. Then I went and saw the doctor who is a pediatrist and he suggested I use benzoine to toughen my feet. He also suggested I get custom insoles that have a metatarsal pad to help reduce the amount of beating on the balls of my feet.

3. There was a guy at one of the vendors that made custom insoles so I bought a pair.

I'm back in good spirits and feet. I've got 6 weeks to work everything out including footwear until I begin to start my sobo on July 1st.

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement!!!!!

Frick Frack
05-19-2008, 17:24
My wife had these problems on our first week-long section hike together and she had to hike over 100 miles in her camp shoes (Tevas). She had no problems with them but her boots tore her up...as did the next pair, and the next. Finally she tried the Vasque Breeze (very light but still a "boot" and very breathable) and they have been perfect for her. My experience with the Solomans (sp?) is that "zip pull" has to be tightened all the time, esp on downhills. You definately should consider lace up shoes/boots....you can tighten & loosen where needed.

Locutus
05-19-2008, 17:52
I found out yesterday the importance of good socks. My hiking socks were still dirty from the previous weekends hike (I forgot to wash them...), so I just threw on a pair of cotton athletic socks. I figured it was only a day hike, it shouldn't be a problem.

I did 10 miles and I now have two blisters. I did 14 miles the previous weekend without even a hotspot when wearing my hiking socks.

I won't make that mistake again.

A-Train
05-19-2008, 20:45
I haven't read the entire thread, so someone may have suggested this, but what about getting back into the swing of things with some slackpacking? If you start from a section with a nearby hostel/outfitter/shuttler, you can do 3-4 days of dayhiking and let your feet harden without the weight of a pack and the pressure of camping.

Sounds like things are looking up for you, and it's gonna happen this year.

corialice81
05-19-2008, 22:03
I live near boone, nc so i'm gonna do a lot of shake down hikes before july 1. Also, going to the gym everyday with my custom insoles/hardrocks/smartwool socks/sock liners and pack on to workout. I'm totally pumped.

This is my year!

sofaking
05-19-2008, 22:19
what'd i tell you about pickling those feet, huh? was i on it or what...

corialice81
05-19-2008, 22:37
a "you were right" is in order for you sofaking!

sofaking
05-19-2008, 22:49
glad to hear your feet issues were addressed and that you'll be back on your hike.

aframe
05-20-2008, 16:16
YES. i always knew you were a SOBO at heart.

come visit me and HP in the whites!!

twix

Route Step
05-20-2008, 16:23
Lots of good advise and a combination of things might work for your feet.If your feet sweat a lot as you stated earlier, stop every 50 minutes for 10 minutes and take off your boots and maybe your socks. Every two hours just might not do it for you. The rest period also gives your leg muscles time to lose a little lactic acid build-up.

Lilred
05-20-2008, 23:10
Lots of good advise and a combination of things might work for your feet.If your feet sweat a lot as you stated earlier, stop every 50 minutes for 10 minutes and take off your boots and maybe your socks. Every two hours just might not do it for you. The rest period also gives your leg muscles time to lose a little lactic acid build-up.

Actually, any rest stop longer than ten minutes and lactic acid will start building up. Learned that from Model T.

MtnBikerGuy
05-25-2008, 23:33
Cori - We met at Neels gap when your feet could take no more. I am glad to see your determination through this reoccuring obstical. This is a life learning experience and as you can see here on WB, you have plenty of people rooting for you. I will keep my eye on your trail journal and I can't wait to see what your trail name ends up being. Your fight and persistance will pay off....Your Trial Friend, Kenn

deeddawg
05-26-2008, 00:44
Actually, any rest stop longer than ten minutes and lactic acid will start building up. Learned that from Model T.

Good articles:
New York Times: Lactic Acid Will Be Sorely Missed (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/19/health/healthspecial/19lactic.html)
Running Planet: Lactic Acid - You Can't Win Without It (http://www.runningplanet.com/training/lactic-acid.html)

Worth a read since a lot of what we thought we knew about lactic acid has been turned on its head in recent years.