PDA

View Full Version : I'm so new, it's laughable! But I'm doing it anyway! *Help!*

TattyBoBatty
05-13-2008, 16:48
Hi! I'm totally new... to almost everything but day hikes. I hiked quite a bit in Utah and Arizona but haven't been very active at all in the past 6 years.

Now, I'm joining my husband and his 4 friends on a weekend backpacking trip. My husband is pretty new, so we are learning together. However, I'm turning to you, my fellow females, for advice.

I've got the basics. I'm borrowing my brother-in-law's pack and I've got my pack weight in about 16lbs. This includes my pack, my hammock, tarp, pad, clothes, medical sack, personal sack, food and water. Without getting into the nitty gritty, i've got the basics down I believe. I'm going to be the only girl and I really want to just carry my weight and make sure I have my bases covered.

What I'm really concerned about are the "gotchas", the things that 1)my hubby won't think about because well, he's a guy and 2)things that only experienced female hikers have learned through.. well, experience!

If you could offer me one piece of advice for a 2 night 3 day trip, what would it be?

Marta
05-13-2008, 16:52
You can drastically shorten the time of "exposure" while peeing by wearing either a hiking skirt or very loose-legged/stretchy shorts. (It's like peeing while wearing a one-piece swimsuit.) It's also worthwhile to make sure said shorts don't show moisture.

I keep a travel packet of tissues, a travel size of Purell, and a tube of lip balm in either my pack waist pouch, my shorts pocket, or my jacket pocket, so they're always at hand.

Have a great time!

Creek Dancer
05-13-2008, 18:05
Take along some unscented baby wipes for a "bath" at the end of the day. Some stores sell the little handy travel packs. You only need maybe one or two per "bath".

If you think you might have trouble sleeping outside, take along some earplugs. Benadryl also works wonders to help with night air sniffles and to make you sleep more soundly.

Have a great time! Post a trip report!!

River Runner
05-13-2008, 18:36
Instead of toilet paper for wiping after urinating, which needs to be packed out, consider using a 'pee rag'. This can be a bandana or a piece cut from a camp towel. You can keep it folded in your pocket and fold the moisture into the inside after using. It will soon dry in your pocket and can be re-used. Wash out in a small bowl or ziplock bag at the end of the day (away from water sources).

Alternate, take a sturdy freezer zip lock to pack out the used T.P.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-13-2008, 18:39
I use Huggies Shea Butter baby washcloths (http://www.diapers.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?productid=5715) - the dry kind that you add water to for use - to bathe. This also has a moisturizer to keep my dino hide soft.

Always check where you squat for poison ivy (I learned that the hard way :eek:)

Keep your head and feet warm and everything else stays warmer.

Always take at least two tampons along - even if it isn't time for your period.

AlwaysHiking
05-13-2008, 18:46
Great advice so far. Nothing really to add female specific, but wanted to say welcome to Backpacking!

StarLyte
05-13-2008, 19:23
Hiking women are sensible.

I agree with everyone, my strongest suggestion is the ear plugs. I've hiked with men before. Most men snore. If 5 of them are snoring, you sure won't sleep!

Definitely wipes for bathing - and FD- those dry wipes sound great. There's also a camping towel (http://www.campingsurvival.com/ligfasdryinc.html) that's available everywhere, even at Walmart, Target, Sears, Dicks - it dries quick, you can hang it off the back of your pack, made of rayon and you can also use this for any type of sanitation-wash and dry it! It's cheap too.

Hiking skirt definitely a plus so you can go quicker, easier.

Most importantly, make sure you hike and enjoy yourself. 5 men eh? ;)

AlwaysHiking
05-13-2008, 19:42
There's also a camping towel (http://www.campingsurvival.com/ligfasdryinc.html) that's available everywhere, even at Walmart, Target, Sears, Dicks - it dries quick, you can hang it off the back of your pack, made of rayon and you can also use this for any type of sanitation-wash and dry it! It's cheap too.

Don't want to put it through a washer/dryer though. Hand wash and always hang dry. It gets horrible fuzzies and starts peeling if it goes through the machines. Pretty cheap though, so easy enough to replace if it happens!

Blissful
05-13-2008, 21:22
Welcome to White Blaze. Looks like you got things pretty well under cotrol. Just give yourself a place away from the campsite to do womanly things. Like changing, etc. esp since you are in a hammock. I had to do that when I was helping lead a Boy Scout troop backpacking with my hubby - sneak off to change out of sweaty hiking clothes when they were engaged in something else.

desdemona
05-13-2008, 23:30
Hi,

Look into the "pee funnel" topic (posted further down the list here). Some ladies here may scoff but there are good pros and cons on the subject so you can decide for yourself.

I will now take outside vs the smelly outhouse at the start of the trail.
Don't think I would have done this before.

There is a spray hand sanitizer that I consider great. Sadly I think it is a very cheap little spray bottle. I got a tiny spray bottle and am considering diy.
I think that regular sanitizer would need a bit of alcohol mixed in as it is normally a gel. It would also work nicely as a fire starter! :-)

--des

TattyBoBatty
05-19-2008, 18:53
Thanks for all the input!! I definitely will be bringing some baby wipes (I'll just swipe them from my kid!) and the purell. And now that I think of it, the ear plugs are an awesome idea!! I'm not sure if I can do the hiking skirt just yet, I have this wicked problem with my thighs rubbing and I'm certain after a day of hiking I would be in so much pain I may just offer up my thighs for dinner.

thank you all for such wonderful advice!

TattyBoBatty
05-20-2008, 22:30
Does anyone have a food preference? I'm taking Inertia packs and I found a freezerbag cooking site, but does anyone have a "can't leave home without" food?

shoe
05-21-2008, 00:13
Beef Jerky. I never tried it until my last hike and it's one of my faves now. I get so tired of eating the typical bars, and carby stuff. It's a nice switch.
And of course fig newtons :)

TattyBoBatty
05-21-2008, 08:33
I don't do fig newtons LOL Call me crazy but I think I'm the only person on earth who doesn't like them - although I like most other fruit bar type things.
My husband makes some killer beef jerky, I didn't even think of that! Duh! I'm going to persuade him to make me a batch.

Marta
05-21-2008, 08:35
I don't like Fig Newtons either. My husband loves them, though. We both like Oreos, so we take a sleeve of those per day. A recent craze is summer sausage. We take one for every two-day trip. And a sleeve of crackers per day.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-21-2008, 09:26
Since you are somewhat new to hiking, I'm going to mention some of the staples that work on the trail. Instead of regular bread try tortillas, pita, dense pumpernickel and rye; peanut butter (small plastic jar); olive oil instead of butter (repack into plastic bottle); hard cheeses travel and keep well without refrigeration (in a baggie as they will 'sweat' oil); precooked bacon adds tons of flavor and needed calories; Nedo (a full-fat dried milk found in the Latino products section in the grocery and tasty enough to actually use)

Some of my favorites on the trail:
Pasta covered with pesto (dried pesto mix available near spices) with diced pepperoni and dried Parmesan cheese
Hot chocolate mix with double strength Nedo
Blueberry pie for breakfast (Blueberry muffin mix cooked in a well oiled, tightly closed pan - will not be brown on top, but will be very tasty)

Bear Cables
05-21-2008, 10:40
Does anyone have a food preference? I'm taking Inertia packs and I found a freezerbag cooking site, but does anyone have a "can't leave home without" food?

My "can't leave home without it " included Folgers coffee bags . As far as other things...I use thin panty liners so I can make one pair of panites last several days. Just bring a zip lock for TP and liners. I use to hike with the scouts as the only women . I used my hat or bandana tied or hung on a branch to indicate that I "was in the ladies room" and do not enter. have fun.

Bear Cables
05-21-2008, 10:41
I don't do fig newtons LOL Call me crazy but I think I'm the only person on earth who doesn't like them - although I like most other fruit bar type things.
My husband makes some killer beef jerky, I didn't even think of that! Duh! I'm going to persuade him to make me a batch.

Cracker Barrell makes small foil wrapped cheese that holds up great on the trail and goes great with the jerky.

Bear Cables
05-21-2008, 10:44
Since you are somewhat new to hiking, I'm going to mention some of the staples that work on the trail. Instead of regular bread try tortillas, pita, dense pumpernickel and rye; peanut butter (small plastic jar); olive oil instead of butter (repack into plastic bottle); hard cheeses travel and keep well without refrigeration (in a baggie as they will 'sweat' oil); precooked bacon adds tons of flavor and needed calories; Nedo (a full-fat dried milk found in the Latino products section in the grocery and tasty enough to actually use)

)

Jiff makes very small cups of peanut butter called "Jiff to go" they pack well and are very light.

Frau
05-21-2008, 13:18
BUG SPRAY!!! I never leave home without it, a bandana and tp.

Frau
05-21-2008, 13:21
Favorite food, by far:

http://danstarco.com/products.php?product=1

My Chunks of Energy. Read the contents. Taste them.. you can buy them on the web and at many healthy food stores.

Next favorite--Oscar Meyer Pepperoni slices!!!

Fr.

TattyBoBatty
05-21-2008, 15:19
Oh thanks for the link and wow yeah pepperoni slices sound great!

ZZXF
05-21-2008, 16:16
There are few foods I like better on the trail than pepperoni, so I heartily second that suggestion! I've also really come to like cereal in the morning, using powdered milk. I never feel much like guzzling water in the morning, even though I know I should. The cereal with milk is a good way for me to start getting liquids into my system.

I'm also a huge fan of pantyliners -- sorry if this is too graphic, but without them, it feels like everything starts smelling like pee.

Finally, you can try the wipes on this trip (it being only 3 days) and see if they work for you -- but if you still end up feeling so nasty that you start not to enjoy yourself, you can always give yourself a modified shower. I pack a small bar of biodegradeable soap and wash the biggest problem areas -- feet, pits, nether regions, and face. I can typically do it with less than 16 ounces of water, and it makes me feel all fresh.

shoe
05-21-2008, 17:40
I also do cereal in the mornings. I like to get something high in protein vs. Captain Crunch. It's quick and easy if you use a zip lov as your bowl. No clean up.

I also carry 2 washcloths...1 dark colored for the nether regions and a lighter color for the face.

So are you on information overload yet? :)

TattyBoBatty
05-21-2008, 22:07
Total information overload! But honestly, I love it! I feel like I'm learning a whole new way of life LOL

boarstone
05-22-2008, 08:09
Hi! I'm totally new... to almost everything but day hikes. I hiked quite a bit in Utah and Arizona but haven't been very active at all in the past 6 years.

Now, I'm joining my husband and his 4 friends on a weekend backpacking trip. My husband is pretty new, so we are learning together. However, I'm turning to you, my fellow females, for advice.

I've got the basics. I'm borrowing my brother-in-law's pack and I've got my pack weight in about 16lbs. This includes my pack, my hammock, tarp, pad, clothes, medical sack, personal sack, food and water. Without getting into the nitty gritty, i've got the basics down I believe. I'm going to be the only girl and I really want to just carry my weight and make sure I have my bases covered.

What I'm really concerned about are the "gotchas", the things that 1)my hubby won't think about because well, he's a guy and 2)things that only experienced female hikers have learned through.. well, experience!

If you could offer me one piece of advice for a 2 night 3 day trip, what would it be?

Your sense of humor and patience...your gonna' need it......

Bear Cables
05-22-2008, 10:16
I would also recommend a "shamy cloth" like used to wipe down cars. It absorbs water and dries you while its wet. You can also keep it on your pack to cool your face on during the heat of the day.

sarbar
05-22-2008, 10:52
A huge chocolate bar you don't share :D It will save you sanity if you get cranky. Fresh fruit as well. See, guys don't think about things like that....(well, some do) There is nothing like a juicy orange at break time or at dinner? Whip out a couple avocados and a tomato. Dice them up and add a packet of guacamole mix (I toss it all in a freezer bag and knead to mix.). Serve with chips. Trust me, the guys? They will think you are the bestest camp wife around :D
While I go UL, I carry clean cotton underwear to sleep in. Feels a lot better. And clean socks for bed.

Honestly for me, peeing is second nature. It is more like "hey you all, gotta pee. Go around the next curve and wait for me".

For me a pillow is a necessity as I have a bad back. That and a warm down jacket for night in camp! And a butt pad to sit on :D

TattyBoBatty
05-22-2008, 11:13
Shamy cloth. Check!
Chocolate. OMG why didn't I think of this!! Thank you!

I am trying to see what my pack weight will be total, adn if I can fudge in a little extra I think I definitely want the cotton undies, I'm carrying extra socks.

By the way, another silly quesiton, about socks.
I have whisk away socks but they are the really short ones, everyone I know wears the long socks. I'm wearing sneakers for this hike (because I don't have any other shoes to wear), but will these low socks pose a problem?

sarbar
05-22-2008, 18:29
In socks? Wear what fits you! I use to wear thick Smartwools with liners and my feet would be dying of sweat. Finally I went to trail runners and think hiking socks and have never looked back. I only wear boots when I am on mud/snow or ice and even then I only wear thin socks.
I have a good friend who hikes in cotton socks - he doesn't get outbreaks of athletes foot that way.

desdemona
05-24-2008, 01:19
In socks? Wear what fits you! I use to wear thick Smartwools with liners and my feet would be dying of sweat. Finally I went to trail runners and think hiking socks and have never looked back. I only wear boots when I am on mud/snow or ice and even then I only wear thin socks.
I have a good friend who hikes in cotton socks - he doesn't get outbreaks of athletes foot that way.

Though cotton socks are a way of having cold feet, imo. So your friend must have radiators in his shoes.

When are you goign as I forgot, but it seems like a pair of trail runners would make a big difference in hiking (sure did for me), and they don't take too long to break in. Your regular running shoes are going to be difficult to hike in-- at least they were to me.

--des

sarbar
05-24-2008, 18:16
Very true on cotton socks=damp. In summer it isn't an issue, but yeah, not to be encouraged unless one is used to it. My husband has a huge issue with wool socks, they pull his skin oils out and he gets deeply cracked skin. So I have taken to carrying liquid bandage so at night I can seal his heels.
I'd say that everyone's feet will act in different ways - so if a shoe/boot/sock doesn't seem to be working, toss it and try again. Eventually you'll find the perfect zone :)

Frau
05-24-2008, 19:12
Socks--while I really like short wool socks for around town and at work, I NEVER wear them on the trail because bits of sand, dirt and grass go right into the sock around the ankle. I am NOT the Princess and the Pea, but I AM The Princess And The Sand in Sock! At least crew length is what I advise.

Frau

desdemona
05-25-2008, 22:43
I wear Smart wool (yes crew style) and sock liners. Even wore them today with 80 degree weather and wool socks. I don't recall my feet being any more hot than the rest of me.

--des

AlwaysHiking
05-26-2008, 20:30
In the summer I wear short wool socks, no liner. I get a little debris around the opening, but none goes down into the shoe. Winter I wear a crew length wool sock, again, no liner. I've never understood the purpose of a liner for my own needs.

TattyBoBatty
05-27-2008, 14:23
I think I may get some new socks.
I was planning on wearing sports socks that wick and they are more ankle socks.
Our trip is planned for the weekend of June 6th so I still have some time!

Bear Cables
05-27-2008, 17:31
I always hike in SmartWool crew socks, no liner, no problems either.

Mercy
05-27-2008, 17:51
I wear SmartWool crew socks as well. They stay on my foot, and don't try to pull down in my boots. (med wt) or my shoes (lt wt)

Mercy

ZZXF
05-27-2008, 17:57
I think socks are a very personal choice. Personally, I strongly dislike crew height socks unless it's really cold. I like Thorlo brand socks, and when hiking, usually wear what they call a "mini-crew." But it's hard to give someone a recommendation on socks. When I first started backpacking, I thought I needed backpacking-specific socks. I bought several, and I didn't like any that I tried. So, I started wearing the Thorlo socks I had always liked for running and playing tennis. Worked great. So, I bought some in a dark grey color so they wouldn't get stained from all the trail mud.

So, I would suggest that you start with whatever has worked for you in the past for exercising. It will probably do fine for hiking. Then, you can tweak the system to fix the specific issues you may encounter. Like, I started wearing very thin knee-high nylons (rolled down to just above my mini-crews) to prevent blisters.

But I would recommend against buying anything new when what you have may do just fine.

quasarr
05-28-2008, 11:04
Tatty, don't get too excited and buy a ton more stuff! 16 lbs is a good weight and it's easy to turn that into 20 when you go to the outfitter. I have made this mistake before. :eek:

As for socks, I wear sneakers with men's nylon dress socks. They're light as a feather and dry very fast. I wear one pair and have another hanging off my pack to dry. Some people like to wear two nylon socks on each foot to prevent blisters. But like others have said, feet are very personal and you just have to find out what works for you!

gsmurf
05-28-2008, 15:19
Don't bring tampons! Check out The Keeper or The Diva Cup instead. It's a reusable menstrual cup, perfect for backpacking because you can go 24 hours without emptying it, can rinse it with water so you don't have trash to pack out, and it's far more comfortable than tampons. I would never do a long distance hike without it.

sarbar
05-28-2008, 16:16
The only thing about the cups for periods is if you have an IUD and are a heavy bleeder, try it at home first!!!!

quasarr
05-28-2008, 18:29
Someone told me that Diva Cups are expensive, I thought she meant like ten dollars. Well I went to the health food store and found one for $34!!! :eek: Is there somewhere online to get them cheaper?

jnetx
05-28-2008, 20:31
....$34!!! :eek: Is there somewhere online to get them cheaper?

That's about what I paid for mine. It does seem expensive initially, but if it works for you will pay for itself in a year. I've had mine about two or three years and it is defintely paid for and looks like I'll get years more use from it. If it doesn't work for you you're probably out your initial investment, though I think I remember that either the diva cup or the keeper had a money back guarantee when I bought mine.

Good luck:)

quasarr
05-28-2008, 23:32
thanks jnetx! my biggest worry is that I'll lose the cup and be out 30 bucks! the company says the cup will last 10 years ... the chances of me keeping track of it for even one year are not great :o

but if I spent a lot on the cup maybe I'd be more motivated not to lose it!

sarbar
05-29-2008, 00:07
I think what is scary is realizing how much tampons cost. Eek! A period can set one back $4-10 these days. So in 4 months the cup is paid for :)

Bear Cables
05-29-2008, 11:04
I think what is scary is realizing how much tampons cost. Eek! A period can set one back $4-10 these days. So in 4 months the cup is paid for :)

So glad I'm past all that.:sun:sun

ZZXF
05-29-2008, 13:55
If you go to google.com and click on "shopping" in the upper left hand corner, and type "diva cup" in quotes into the search engine, and then click "sort by price: low to high", you can find some cheaper options online. You first have to click through some divawash products, but then on the second page, you can find some diva cups in the $16-$18 range. Of course, you have to factor in shipping, so you might check out a few of the online retailers to see who has the lower shipping costs. Shopping online also generally allows you to avoid sales tax.

quasarr
06-07-2008, 10:17
Thanks ZZ! I'll check that out. I can't wait to try out the cup! all the paper stuff always seemed so wasteful to me.