PDA

View Full Version : Directions to NC/GA Border

L Tee
05-13-2008, 22:08
I live in Alpharetta, GA (20 or so miles north of Atlanta) and want directions to get to either Bly's Gap or where the trail crosses the NC/GA Border. Want to hike from their to Gooch Gap. Thanks

Ron Haven
05-14-2008, 00:47
It is a little complicated but it can be done.At Hayesville,NC go new 64 east oppx 10 miles to Giesky Creek rd,Turn right and go a couple hundred yards.
At the stop sign is old 64,turn left and go oppx 3 miles,You will come upon the Eagle Fork Fire Dept.Turn right there onto Eagle Fork Rd & drive oppx 5 miles.

Just before the pavement ends you will see a gravel rd turning to the left marked as Eagle Fork.Go up that rd a mile or so just past some houses and a pond and then you will come upon a forest service rd turning to the left and you will see a steel forest gate crossing it.

If you hike up this forest service rd it gets impassable with a vehicle about a mile before you get to Bly Gap.

But friend it is much easier to go into Blue Ridge Gap and hike north 3 miles on the A T.

Egads
05-14-2008, 06:54
That's kinda odd start & stopping points. Hike from Deep Gap NC to Woody Gap GA instead

max patch
05-14-2008, 06:58
From Alpharetta take 985 and 23 to the town of Clayton in NE GA. In Clayton go West on 76 18 miles to the large Appalachian Trail parking area on your right called Dicks Creek Gap. Bly Gap is 8 1/2 miles north on the trail. Hike North to Bly Gap and then turn around and hike South.

There are other ways to reach Bly Gap but that is what I would do if I was you.

L Tee
05-14-2008, 09:00
I know they seem weird but I don't want to keep re hiking places. Ive hiked from neels to past gooch mountain shelter. I want to get some miles done because I am doing a south bound starting in early June, and since Im pretty close why not just get some miles out of the way? Its good for practice anyway.

I was hoping it would be easier but I think im just gonna park at Hiker Hostel and have them drop me off at Bly or close to it.

The reason I picked the NC/GA border is because I thought the AT ran right through a gap where the nc/ga border was. Obviously I was mistaken. Thanks for your help.

orangebug
05-14-2008, 10:43
It really is too difficult to get to Bly Gap by car to be worth the trouble. It you need some miles for your preparation for a hike, slackpack yourself as previously suggested. Leave your gear in the car at Dick's Creek and make a long dayhike, or simply get to Deep Gap, NC (much easier) and head south.

I've never found the AT in Georgia to be repetitive, even the same day. Light changes everything.

Grandma
05-14-2008, 12:43
Walk north from Springer till you see a GA/NC sign on a tree. Then turn around and walk to Gooch. :D

Egads
05-14-2008, 17:23
Hike from Deep Gap, NC (~4 miles North of the NC/GA state line) to Gooch. Ron Haven can shuttle you.