PDA

View Full Version : Summerlite

JWren
05-13-2008, 23:12
I have ordered a WM Summerlite as my all purpose bag for hikes that me and my dad are planning, it will be used mostly during summer and late April and early Sept., i just want some feedback from users of this bag not just WM, i know they are a conservative rating and one of the best bag, i want actual summerlite user, i bought this bag looking ahead into the future for 10-20 years, and if i do need a warmer than i can eventually buy one, thanks

Quoddy
05-14-2008, 08:53
I planned on using a Summerlite for my main 3 season bag. It's a fantastic quality, extremely lightweight bag... probably the best there is. I say planned since I found that it was just too tight for me and I ended up switching to another bag. I hope that you had a chance to try one out before ordering it, or else that you are very slim. As long as it fits you, you'll have many years of use from a great bag.

Rcarver
05-14-2008, 08:59
I have one and love it. The months you have listed are pretty much when i use mine. I have had it keep me warm into the low 20's. I am a warm sleeper, not a hot sleeper. For my money, i wouldn't think about buying any bag other then a Western. I like them so much that i have 10 of them. One thing about the Summerlite is the zipper almost extends to the very bottom of the bag, which almost makes it a complete quilt when the temps get too hot to get in it.

4eyedbuzzard
05-14-2008, 09:07
...I like them so much that i have 10 of them. ...

10 WM bags? Damn, that's more than most outfitters stock. How many different seasons do you have down there in TN? :D

JWren
05-14-2008, 23:08
i tried one in the store, but the store had to special order it for the Right side zipper, i'm left handed, 10 WM bags, wow they barley make about 20

Rcarver
05-15-2008, 11:23
Well, what can i say. I do love me some Western Mountaineering. I'm not married or have any kids, so i get to spend my money on me. At least i'm not buying drugs or anything. I guess it does seem a little excessive to have so many, but i like to have options and i do put them to good use. And i know, i can only use one at a time, but it's nice to know their there when i need one. For the record i counted them up and i do not have 10. It's actually 11.Iroquois, Highlite, Linelite, Summerlite, Ultralite, Apache, Versalite, Antelope, Dakota, Puma and Bighorn. My friend Jody at Little River Trading co. Likes to tell me i have a problem buying gear. I say well i can always shop somewhere else.

Dirtygaiters
05-17-2008, 16:08
I have a summerlite and here's my thoughts. It really is good down to 32 degrees, and will compress very small without the need for a compression sack, but it's not much good below it's temperature rating like some WM bags are. This is not because cold air seeps through the body of the sleeping bag--in fact all the potentially zero loft areas around the zipper are very well protected against cold air seepage--but without a draft collar, cold air seeps through the face hole and into the bag. My main complaint is that there's precious little down in this sleeping bag (honestly my bag feels underfilled), but my bag also weighs 20 ounces: an ounce over spec. Sometimes I also find areas where there is almost no loft. The continuous baffles allow the down to migrate in whatever density it can. I have manually re-distrubted the down through the baffles just to keep it even. Another thing is that because there's so little down in the bag, if it down gets even remotely damp, loft gets reduced to almost zero. A dangerous area for down to be is right near that face hole, where all the moist air coming out of your nose and mouth is condensing on the shell fabric. DWR is essentially non existent with this bag and on most trips where there's a little humidity, my experience is that that area generally is flattened by morning.