PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Trail Days Tips?

sloopjonboswell
05-13-2008, 23:26
dont eat the brown acid, dont fall in the fire, dont get arrested. any of you veterans have pointers on making the best of my damascus experience?

Jimmers
05-13-2008, 23:36
Do try and get up early to get to as many events as possible. It's very easy to sleep in late if you get caught up in the general mayhem within the campground, so you might want to go easy on that. At least on Friday night.:)

Slimer
05-13-2008, 23:39
Don't leave your pack laying around....

sofaking
05-13-2008, 23:42
be wary of loose women and pick pockets while on shore leav...uh, i mean be sure to check out l w's hiker hostel/bordello/bistro/harley dealership...i heard he was having a massive pig roast this year, and is providing aycd pbr on tap.

Panzer1
05-13-2008, 23:58
Keep an eye on your gear.

Panzer

Wonder
05-14-2008, 00:21
;)Have fun, and retain enough memory to think of it later

Sleepy the Arab
05-14-2008, 00:22
Avoid all types of correspondences (e.g. phone calls, letters, people trying to deliver important looking papers) for several months after Trail Days. Especially ones that occur 9 months later.

Lone Wolf
05-14-2008, 01:16
dont eat the brown acid, dont fall in the fire, dont get arrested. any of you veterans have pointers on making the best of my damascus experience?

yeah, stay the **** home

Lone Wolf
05-14-2008, 01:17
Keep an eye on your gear.

Panzer

didn't have to worry about that a few years ago

camojack
05-14-2008, 01:19
yeah, stay the **** home
I guess you'll be taking your own advice, huh? :D

D'Artagnan
05-14-2008, 08:23
Don't miss the Fire Department BBQ!

Flush2wice
05-14-2008, 08:28
Due to last minute problems Trail Days has ben moved to Harper's Ferry this year.
See you there!

sofaking
05-14-2008, 08:33
Due to last minute problems Trail Days has ben moved to Harper's Ferry this year.
See you there!
free camping on the river under the bridge...

Flush2wice
05-14-2008, 08:36
Highlights this year include hiker jousting on the footbridge, carp rodeo, and paintball at Gettysburg.

sofaking
05-14-2008, 08:37
and the free gear give away tent at the atc office...

sofaking
05-14-2008, 08:38
first 500 hikers get mapdanas and gift certificates

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-14-2008, 09:04
We Dinos may be bringing the youngest hatchling and what will likely be our son-in-law up on Saturday.... do not touch the beautiful youngest Dino hatchling as Dinos are very protective of their young and the He & She Dino will fight over gets to eat you.

Creek Dancer
05-14-2008, 09:19
Don't drink the water out of the creek that runs by the Superfund hazardous waste site. :eek::eek:

mrc237
05-14-2008, 09:34
Ear Plugs!!!

sofaking
05-14-2008, 10:23
Don't drink the water out of the creek that runs by the Superfund hazardous waste site. :eek::eek:
isn't that at the waynesboro ymca?

sloopjonboswell
05-14-2008, 16:25
yeah, stay the **** home

will the locals be friendly?

Lone Wolf
05-14-2008, 17:45
will the locals be friendly?

yes, as always

sloopjonboswell
05-15-2008, 01:39
yes, as always

i'll bring all my larry keel cd's
seriously, any other tips besides stay the f##k at home?

Jimmers
05-15-2008, 01:46
i'll bring all my larry keel cd's
seriously, any other tips besides stay the f##k at home?

Take everything Lone Wolf says with a shaker of salt?:D

Seriously, just relax and act responsibly. It's a great time if you do.

Lauriep
05-15-2008, 06:37
If you want to see who really knows the most about the Trail, come to Trail Jeopardy at 4:00 on Friday. It's during ALDHA's Hiker Hangout at The Rock School. ATC wrote the questions/answers and Marsha "Starlyte" is emceeing. Last year "Habitual Hiker" and "Umbrella Lady" won by a huge margin, so this year we're handicapping each contestant (teams up to three) 100 points for each trail completion, e.g., (if he was competing) Baltimore Jack's team would start out -800).

Prizes include Jet Boil Stoves, a Granite Gear Pack, Leki Poles, Big Agnes and from Chef Paul (Etowah Outfitters), lightweight tarps, stuff sacks, and t-shirts from Big stuff for the winning team, but something for every contestent.

Contestants should get there at 3:30.

Laurie P.
ATC

The New Wally
05-15-2008, 07:58
Stay home.

Red Wolf
05-15-2008, 10:08
The Hiker Hangout / Reception begins at 1 PM in the Rock School Auditorium and is like totally geared to the " hiker " with MANY parts to a FUN PROGRAM. We will have live music by Takoma Tedd....short ( 2 -5 minute ) talks by many ALDHA members includeing Gene Espy, the 2 nd. thru-hiker plus refreshments donated by our members and the local businesses and citizens of Damascus ( includeng 2 sliced hams from Terry and Sissy Kammer of Augusta's Appalachian Inn. JOIN US FOR A FANTASTIC TIME . The A T Jeopardy , emceed by our ALDHA membership secretary, StarLyte will be the culmination of a " mini Gathering " hiker event. ALL WELCOME ! --Red Wolf .

MudDuck
05-15-2008, 10:20
and the free gear give away tent at the atc office...
I thought that was at the camp ground,,,finders keepers? LOL..:eek:

A-Train
05-15-2008, 10:49
Probably the most importance piece of advice is to stay away from those Billville fellars. They are a bunch of no-good's with their fun, debauchery and story telling contests. During the bad poetry contest you want to be miles away. Just sayin', make good decisions.

Jester2000
05-17-2008, 11:16
Probably the most importance piece of advice is to stay away from those Billville fellars. They are a bunch of no-good's with their fun, debauchery and story telling contests. During the bad poetry contest you want to be miles away. Just sayin', make good decisions.

Couldn't agree more.

warren doyle
05-18-2008, 17:45
If you want to see who really knows the most about the Trail, come to Trail Jeopardy at 4:00 on Friday. It's during ALDHA's Hiker Hangout at The Rock School. ATC wrote the questions/answers and Marsha "Starlyte" is emceeing. Last year "Habitual Hiker" and "Umbrella Lady" won by a huge margin, so this year we're handicapping each contestant (teams up to three) 100 points for each trail completion, e.g., (if he was competing) Baltimore Jack's team would start out -800).

Prizes include Jet Boil Stoves, a Granite Gear Pack, Leki Poles, Big Agnes and from Chef Paul (Etowah Outfitters), lightweight tarps, stuff sacks, and t-shirts from Big stuff for the winning team, but something for every contestent.

Contestants should get there at 3:30.

Laurie P.
ATC

Correction: last year's winners were "Habitual Hiker" Leonard Adkins, Warren and Terry Doyle.

Red Hat
05-18-2008, 18:31
Correction: last year's winners were "Habitual Hiker" Leonard Adkins, Warren and Terry Doyle.

Absolutely right, Warren, if I'd seen it I'd have correct 'em myself. Of course you do have an advantage over those who have only done it once or so...(myself not included, I'm still working on it) You do know the Data Book and the Companion by heart!